How Ballito residents protected their community when the police where nowhere to be found

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Well Done.
If only all communities can organise themselves in this manner, we would be able to greatly reduce crime in SA as clearly, SAPS are incapable as is the government!

Many communities did organise themselves in this manner, to the best of their abilities and finances.

Not knocking Ballito in this, but they have significantly more financial muscle than most places as a start.
I just have to look at my suburb, we have a well functioning NHW and there were checkpoints/roadblocks all over the place.. but we're in the "middle" of town effectively so we're a thoroughfare for many other places so couldn't just lock down completely. We're also largely working class, so being able to have drones in the sky and such is just totally beyond the means of the area.

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
And soon Cele will come for the legal guns, because the police will protect you...
Exaclty. Cele will patrol the the beaches against tanning people.

Well done,hope they didn't kill innocent people in the name of "protecting" like how they did in Pheonix.
Any blood is on School Teacher Cele's hands (and government). They could have stopped this day before (or day 1).

ToxicBunny

Question: were they deliberately deserted or resources were focused on perceived hotspots?

Its a combination of both really at the end of the day.

Much of the time the police were "monitoring" the situation rather than quelling it as they are supposed to. Part of what happened was the logical outcome of the police's activity of not putting out the protests for many many years, they just monitor them from a distance. By the time the large scale looting and destruction kicked in, they were totally out of their depth and outmanned by many hundreds.

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
Its a combination of both really at the end of the day.

Much of the time the police were "monitoring" the situation rather than quelling it as they are supposed to. Part of what happened was the logical outcome of the police's activity of not putting out the protests for many many years, they just monitor them from a distance. By the time the large scale looting and destruction kicked in, they were totally out of their depth and outmanned by many hundreds.
I agree.

The people knew the police won't touch the looters. Look since Marikana how many shops were looted in protest action since then and cops just "monitor". So they grab the opportunity in the free for all.. and the cops were out of their depth.

Neuk_

Executive Member
I followed this closely as my parents live just outside of Ballito, just across the highway on a small housing estate on a local golf course, it was amazing to hear how the local community together with private security companies joined forces to protect themselves while limiting any violence.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
What's so special about Ballito?
They weren't even on the frontlines of the lootings and not a priority for the looters.

The communities along a M7 were high priority for the looters and saboteurs and they managed to rally together and lockdown many of their communities as early as late Monday Afternoon.

surface

Honorary Master
Most of the rest of the country was also hard at work doing exactly what Ballito was doing, we would need Fiestas posting machine if we were to start threads about all the communities who protected themselves and public properties.
Which political party dominates Ballito? It could be that they are special. I think that could be point of the post.

ponder

Honorary Master
Having only 5 entry points to the area makes it easier, most people would only know about 4 entry points though.

Capture.PNG

konfab

Honorary Master
Almost as if you don't need a large national government.

This is what Frans Cronje has been saying is the likely state of things to come in SA:
Scenario 3 “The Break-up”: State/expectations unmet.
Here, the ANC fails to unite and instead fractures so that there is no
political cohesion, resulting in a severely weakened and ineffective
state. Its uncertain, contradictory and confusing policies lead to
economic stagnation, and many South Africans remain very poor.
Amid increasing protest action and racial conflict, the country
becomes a society divided against itself, and South Africans
gradually drift into enclaves along racial, class and ethnic lines in
which they maintain largely normal lives.

According to Cronje, “The Break-up” was currently the most likely scenario for the near future, since it fairly approximated the uncertainty and underperformance of the past few years. “It seems unlikely that the political and economic establishment will unite around a plan that will go far enough to fix the South African economy,” he noted. “Without political reform, the corruption and ineptitude of the civil service will become worse, and without economic reform the government will inevitably run out of money.” These conditions could continue into 2020, after which any of the other three scenarios could also arise, depending partly on the 2019 election results.

https://www.prudential.co.za/media/...paths-will-sa-follow-in-the-years-to-2030.pdf

LCBXX

Honorary Master
What's so special about Ballito?
They weren't even on the frontlines of the lootings and not a priority for the looters.

The communities along a M7 were high priority for the looters and saboteurs and they managed to rally together and lockdown many of their communities as early as late Monday Afternoon.
It's probably an attempt to fuel a "privilege" narrative for Ballito.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Well done,hope they didn't kill innocent people in the name of "protecting" like how they did in Pheonix.
I'm curious: You think the folks from Phoenix killed people, citing that they did so as part of protecting their community. What would you call those who intentionally went to Phoenix to cause damage/harm/theft and got dead in the process?

Ecko_1

Very easy for them to achieve. So far from the action. I mean they only started organising on Tuesday. By then the Massmart warehouse was already 12 hour of looting in.

In our less fortunate neighbourhood we have 4 major informal settlements. The back fence of the Massmart warehouse feeds into a residential road, and there are several pieces of broken fence on Nandi drive that give pedestrian access into the neighbourhood.

By early Monday evening we were ducking bullets from disgruntled taxi drivers and vans that weren't being let into the area to pick up looted goods. 3 community members shot by looters. The looting carried on for more than 24 hours, with the only police presence being the few that were caught with looted goods at blockades.

All this while only 1 of the local corner shops were looted, by the squatters nearby. Bottle stores and other shops were untouched.

Then when the dust settled and we were looking for food and fuel, our neighbours in Durban North decided to claim the Durban North big chain stores for themselves and initially denied access to our residents. Our corner shops had to scramble to get stock so that they can service the needs of the community which was now not allowed to shop in Durban North, after years of shopping there. A full day to get this issue resolved, but by then the community had begun making plans for themselves.

ToxicBunny

Very easy for them to achieve. So far from the action. I mean they only started organising on Tuesday. By then the Massmart warehouse was already 12 hour of looting in.

In our less fortunate neighbourhood we have 4 major informal settlements. The back fence of the Massmart warehouse feeds into a residential road, and there are several pieces of broken fence on Nandi drive that give pedestrian access into the neighbourhood.

By early Monday evening we were ducking bullets from disgruntled taxi drivers and vans that weren't being let into the area to pick up looted goods. 3 community members shot by looters. The looting carried on for more than 24 hours, with the only police presence being the few that were caught with looted goods at blockades.

All this while only 1 of the local corner shops were looted, by the squatters nearby. Bottle stores and other shops were untouched.

Then when the dust settled and we were looking for food and fuel, our neighbours in Durban North decided to claim the Durban North big chain stores for themselves and initially denied access to our residents. Our corner shops had to scramble to get stock so that they can service the needs of the community which was now not allowed to shop in Durban North, after years of shopping there. A full day to get this issue resolved, but by then the community had begun making plans for themselves.

I feel for all the neighbourhoods that directly bordered industrial/commercial areas like that. Lots of spill over crap from this. We were lucky that most of our looting traffic was merely passing through and returning to their homes with their spoils and weren't interested in whatever little stuff was in our hood. They did try to knock over the one bottle store in our area but were generally repelled by the NHW.

And as much as it sucks, I do KIND of get the DBN North approach, at least for the first few days. It probably limited the spread of this chaos a bit.

RanzB

Honorary Master
Then when the dust settled and we were looking for food and fuel, our neighbours in Durban North decided to claim the Durban North big chain stores for themselves and initially denied access to our residents. Our corner shops had to scramble to get stock so that they can service the needs of the community which was now not allowed to shop in Durban North, after years of shopping there.

Horse **** my friend.

I was personally doing crowd control at the biggest shopping centre in Durban North the day it opened. I can tell you for a fact not one person was asked for proof of address.

At certain times of the day (morning) fuel was restricted to SAPS and healthcare workers. We filled for nurses and doctors as far away as Ntuzuma. Again, no proof of address required, no discrimination by skin colour.

Someone is telling you lies.