How Ballito residents protected their community when the police where nowhere to be found

DominionZA

Executive Member
We did the same in Hilton, just outside of PMB.
The community came together in a way I have never seen. This has convinced me to drop an anchor here. Who would not want to exist amongst outstanding human beings like this?
I was planning on leaving SA at some point. No more...

ghostRgg

Expert Member
Every area did the same, Westville, Glenwood, Hillcrest, Hilton, Glen Anil, Durban North, you name it.

Most places that got hard hit didn't have 24 hours to setup and all of that. I agree that it should be seen as a great thing given how SAPS was basically MIA, and the SANDF.

For those talking about "innocent killed" you need to be more specific, there are a few cases that could be called that, but I have yet to see a confirmation.

Many bodies that were found were looters who got injured while looting, fighting each other, falling off buildings, all sorts.

Little firearms were discharged with actual live rounds, especially in the communities.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
Every area did the same, Westville, Glenwood, Hillcrest, Hilton, Glen Anil, Durban North, you name it.

Most places that got hard hit didn't have 24 hours to setup and all of that. I agree that it should be seen as a great thing given how SAPS was basically MIA, and the SANDF.

For those talking about "innocent killed" you need to be more specific, there are a few cases that could be called that, but I have yet to see a confirmation.

Many bodies that were found were looters who got injured while looting, fighting each other, falling off buildings, all sorts.

Little firearms were discharged with actual live rounds, especially in the communities.
This one was doing the rounds

“I was travelling on Phoenix Highway alone to go and buy chronic medication for my grandmother in-law when I came across a group of people, one car hit my car on purpose. It was like I was in a movie. Realising that I was hit, I parked on the side of the road, they immediately torched it. I watched a car I worked hard for burning in front of my eyes.

“The group of Indian men pulled me out of the car, some said they must shoot me. I was crying, I asked what was happening, they told me that I was looting. They took me to the nearby river, they pointed a gun to my head. I was begging for mercy, I told them that they have already killed me by burning (my car) and beating me up. One man advised them to not kill me.

I have no idea how much of the story is embellishment.

DominionZA

Executive Member
I wouldn't call communities protecting themselves vigilantes.
Unfortunately you get the types that cannot help themselves. They are also probably the ones that were sleeping safe in their beds while others stood in their "vigilante" groups protecting them.

We have a few here. Very loud on the whatsapp groups - silent where it counted.

Neuk_

Executive Member
Unfortunately you get the types that cannot help themselves. They are also probably the ones that were sleeping safe in their beds while others stood in their "vigilante" groups protecting them.

I am sure you do but to claim that all communities protecting themselves are now vigilantes is a big misrepresentation of what is actually happening.

DominionZA

Executive Member
I am sure you do but to claim that all communities protecting themselves are now vigilantes is a big misrepresentation of what is actually happening.
Ye - what I was saying. They are not vigilantes. They are community members looking after their community. I am sure there were vigilantes here and there - somewhere.

ghostRgg

Expert Member

Will need to check it out but during the whole chaos thing I learned that iol is a propaganda site and full of hot air.

Like really, you should see some of the stories that were quickly thrown out there during all of this. Calling to racism, violence, etc.

d0b33

Honorary Master
I wouldn't call communities protecting themselves vigilantes.
It's a slippery slope. Yes, this mess we've seen is a failure of government, it's also the same government that upheld the law by arresting a former president. My point is that communities having to protect themselves is a sign of collapse.

system32

Expert Member

There were many, many more looters and looting incidents than vigilantism.
EDIT:
Orders of magnitude more looters

Last edited:

Sarg3_ZN

Expert Member

Zandile Mthembu tells her story of how she was attacked while driving down the Phoenix highway. Her car was burnt but she managed to save her child. Photo: Ntombi Nkosi/IOL Political Bureau

“I was travelling on Phoenix Highway alone to go and buy chronic medication for my grandmother in-law when I came across a group of people, one car hit my car on purpose. It was like I was in a movie. Realising that I was hit, I parked on the side of the road, they immediately torched it. I watched a car I worked hard for burning in front of my eyes.

Yeah, nah, this story does not add up, she saved her child, but was travelling alone to get medication for her grandmother in-law? She parked on the side of the road and the car was immediately torched, did she get out before or after the car was set alight?

“Many of us cannot get the bodies of our loved ones because roads are still closed. My brother was not in a yard or shop of any Indian (home), but he was travelling on a national road,” he said.

Didn't know the N2 ran through Phoenix

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
Well Done Ballito ... Unfortunately Pinetown was hit severely in the first wave on Monday morning, we had no warning. Our neighborhood was flooded with looters using it as a thoroughfare to get from Wyebank to Pinetown. By Tuesday mid day we also organized and setup road blocks. We as a community stood together and pushed back. I did not see one cop the whole week...

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Horse **** my friend.

I was personally doing crowd control at the biggest shopping centre in Durban North the day it opened. I can tell you for a fact not one person was asked for proof of address.

At certain times of the day (morning) fuel was restricted to SAPS and healthcare workers. We filled for nurses and doctors as far away as Ntuzuma. Again, no proof of address required, no discrimination by skin colour.

Someone is telling you lies.

So not a roadblock... What did the roadblock guys do?

Ecko_1

Horse **** my friend.

I was personally doing crowd control at the biggest shopping centre in Durban North the day it opened. I can tell you for a fact not one person was asked for proof of address.

At certain times of the day (morning) fuel was restricted to SAPS and healthcare workers. We filled for nurses and doctors as far away as Ntuzuma. Again, no proof of address required, no discrimination by skin colour.

Someone is telling you lies.
Lies to my face maybe. I had to drive to my office on Wednesday morning. I normally use Acutt Avenue to get to the M4. Young male in a current model SUV. I was stopped at Acutt Avenue and told that I am not allowed to pass because I am not a resident. Only residents are allowed to pass through, with Proof required if nobody at the blockade can recognise you. Even after explaining that i need to get to the M4 i was refused passage. You may have been at the store, but the blocking was being done down at NCR. The next day it was resolved as I said, however, on my return trip back home I stopped at the Blackburn Road blockade and helped with the stop and go a bit. Even then there was some selective passage of vehicles.

I was going to post some whatsapp messages but its taking too long to scroll through whatsapp on my laptop to Wednesday morning.

RanzB

Honorary Master
You may have been at the store, but the blocking was being done down at NCR.
Then when the dust settled and we were looking for food and fuel, our neighbours in Durban North decided to claim the Durban North big chain stores for themselves and initially denied access to our residents. Our corner shops had to scramble to get stock so that they can service the needs of the community which was now not allowed to shop in Durban North, after years of shopping there. A full day to get this issue resolved, but by then the community had begun making plans for themselves.

Yes I was specifically talking about that as I was addressing your point.

If you were stopped out of curfew hours at an entry point and turned away, I am truly sorry to hear. That being said, I know no one was checked for proof of address at the stores, and I had a lot of people telling me exactly how far they drove to get to the stores in Durban North.