How Ballito residents protected their community when the police where nowhere to be found

Ecko_1

I feel for all the neighbourhoods that directly bordered industrial/commercial areas like that. Lots of spill over crap from this. We were lucky that most of our looting traffic was merely passing through and returning to their homes with their spoils and weren't interested in whatever little stuff was in our hood. They did try to knock over the one bottle store in our area but were generally repelled by the NHW.

And as much as it sucks, I do KIND of get the DBN North approach, at least for the first few days. It probably limited the spread of this chaos a bit.
I could understand the approach to keep bad elements out, but not residents from the surrounding area that rely on the stores for their groceries. Our guys were in communication with the Dbn North guys and they simply refused to let our residents through on the Wednesday morning.

Ecko_1

Yes I was specifically talking about that as I was addressing your point.

If you were stopped out of curfew hours at an entry point and turned away, I am truly sorry to hear. That being said, I know no one wax checked for proof of address at the stores, and I had a lot of people telling me exactly how far they drove to get to the stores in Durban North.
I was stopped at 10:30am (approx) on Wednesday morning.

Vorastra

Executive Member
I wouldn't call communities protecting themselves vigilantes.
It's literally the definition of a vigilante.
The issue is the negative connotations that people instantly ascribe to the word because they watch too many movies.

1. a member of a self-appointed group of citizens who undertake law enforcement in their community without legal authority, typically because the legal agencies are thought to be inadequate.

Ecko_1

Sounds like some idiot took it upon himself to enforce procedure that he made up. I apologise that this happened to you.
Thank you for your apology, but you can't be responsible for others. What I am saying is a microcosm of the messaging that was going around our neighbourhood group on the day. Remember we are a community that broadly speaking can't shop monthly, and does not have a large stockpile of food available. People needed food, and baby stuff, and couldn't get through. Both Blackburn and Acutt were the only routes up that were "open" . All others were completely closed up. Some guys that knew some ward councillor even tried to contact her as she is from the area originally.

ADrunkTeddyBear

Well done,hope they didn't kill innocent people in the name of "protecting" like how they did in Pheonix.
If you werent in phoenix on Monday to Wednesday. You have no right to comment on what happened here. We had everything from drive by shootings by looters on NHW members at checkpoints to looters using stolen bread trucks to smuggle looters into our community to try and raid houses.

In the end we knew that not all blacks were involved and both Indians and Blacks are rebuilding our community together. Dont believe the news reports from watching the news about my own area it sounds like ENCA and SABC are trying to fan a race war between Blacks and Indians here yet tensions have cooled down a lot and everyone is kind and helpful to each other.

Ecko_1

I wouldn't really call it vigalantiesm. Just communities protecting themselves because law enforcement won't. We literally only saw 1 SAPS vehicle on Monday evening drive past on NCR. Tuesday night after the looting was done in the big warehouse they were driving all over the place. 2 instances of SAPS in uniform caught with looted goods in private vehicles.

We had an issue with taxis intimidating ubers in the area. We had meetings and agreed that we would leave it with SAPS to sort out. After this the community is keen to just sort it out themselves while SAPS continue to sit on their hands.

Also, our ward councillor is completely useless.

Ykv

konfab

Honorary Master
I wouldn't really call it vigalantiesm. Just communities protecting themselves because law enforcement won't. We literally only saw 1 SAPS vehicle on Monday evening drive past on NCR. Tuesday night after the looting was done in the big warehouse they were driving all over the place. 2 instances of SAPS in uniform caught with looted goods in private vehicles.

We had an issue with taxis intimidating ubers in the area. We had meetings and agreed that we would leave it with SAPS to sort out. After this the community is keen to just sort it out themselves while SAPS continue to sit on their hands.

Also, our ward councillor is completely useless.
Ward councillors have no political power. The only reason for their existence is to provide a way for the ANC to reward loyal members.

konfab

Honorary Master
This is why I always find it so funny when people say the anc won't "allow" a province so secede. As if they will be able to stop it.
The same people assume that the ANC will still be in power.

Neuk_

Executive Member
It's literally the definition of a vigilante.
The issue is the negative connotations that people instantly ascribe to the word because they watch too many movies.

Perhaps it is then my experience of those referred to as vigilantes and as you say the negative connotations surrounding them.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Ward councillors have no political power. The only reason for their existence is to provide a way for the ANC to reward loyal members.

Hardly...

Ward councilors are meant to be a conduit for residents to interact with the municipality. They may have no political power but they have lines of communication into the municipality that aren't available for normal residents.

But many ward councilors are totally useless (and this applies across the political spectrum)

konfab

Honorary Master
Ward councilors are meant to be a conduit for residents to interact with the municipality. They may have no political power but they have lines of communication into the municipality that aren't available for normal residents.
That is what the job description says they do. What their intended purpose was when they were created by the government was a salary that they could give to loyal cadres.

This is why every year around election time, KZN has a spate of murders of ward councillors because of the desperation of the rats to get that cushy government salary.

But many ward councillors are totally useless (and this applies across the political spectrum)

They are useless because their intended purpose by the ANC was literally to fund their patronage network.

Had their purpose been to actually bring issues to the local council, you wouldn't see their influence being diluted by the proportional representation system.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Maybe I should start a business selling stones, some imbecile from SAPS said she told her minions to withdraw because 'looters were throwing stones at the police and they were even swearing at the police as well'.

If stones and swear words are that effective at keeping the police at bay, the same weeponz must be just as effective on criminals, just throw words and other stuff at the criminals, maybe the police should return their service weapons (that they aren't allowed to use anyway) and all be issued with stones and a book of vloekwoorde.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Every area did the same, Westville, Glenwood, Hillcrest, Hilton, Glen Anil, Durban North, you name it.

Most places that got hard hit didn't have 24 hours to setup and all of that. I agree that it should be seen as a great thing given how SAPS was basically MIA, and the SANDF.

For those talking about "innocent killed" you need to be more specific, there are a few cases that could be called that, but I have yet to see a confirmation.

Many bodies that were found were looters who got injured while looting, fighting each other, falling off buildings, all sorts.

Little firearms were discharged with actual live rounds, especially in the communities.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Maybe I should start a business selling stones, some imbecile from SAPS said she told her minions to withdraw because 'looters were throwing stones at the police and they were even swearing at the police as well'.

If stones and swear words are that effective at keeping the police at bay, the same weeponz must be just as effective on criminals, just throw words and other stuff at the criminals, maybe the police should return their service weapons (that they aren't allowed to use anyway) and all be issued with stones and a book of vloekwoorde.
Perhaps not hard to imagine over 500 people throwing stones at few unprotected officers who to some extend aren't allowed to fire live rounds. Remember they didn't even have riot gear.

By "swearing", did he not mean "threatening"?

No, I don't condone some of the actions or decisions the police took.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Perhaps not hard to imagine over 500 people throwing stones at few unprotected officers who to some extend aren't allowed to fire live rounds. Remember they didn't even have riot gear.

By "swearing", did he not mean "threatening"?

No, I don't condone some of the actions or decisions the police took.
When stones and other stuff is being hurled, that's when you move to a safe distance and fire teargas, that's what was done in the past, without bulletproof vests, shields, helmets and that namby pamby stuff.

Maybe I should not have assumed the person's gender, this was a soundbite on the radio news yesterday (JacarandaFM), and the gender* person said they were 'even swearing at the police' after mentioning the stone throwing, as if the swearing was more intense and dangerous than the stones being thrown.

Last edited: