How can I get an active Telkom landline rental for DSL as an international student?

MoonOwl

Hello MyBB,

Background: I am an international student at Rhodes University and have recently moved into one of the houses being let in Grahamstown. I want to sign up with Afrihost's 20 Mbps uncapped bundled VDSL package but they require an active Telkom landline whose line is in the OpenServe Holding Pool so that they can take over the management of the line. I decided to visit Telkom's website to try to apply for the month-to-month landline rental with the self-installation option since the house I moved into already has cabling done (most likely a previous tenant was using the ADSL line). Telkom's closest store is in Port Elizabeth (113 km away). I tried all their advertised communication channels from the phone calls to the online chat service but there has been no response for the past few days. I have held the phone for hours waiting for the next available sales agent while my airtime kept on getting depleted and I kept losing time. I went on Twitter to ask @HelloTelkom and they were of no use. My landlady does not remember whom it was that that had the Telkom line in his name and Telkom is not in a position to tell me. For that reason, I need a new line. An issue almost similar to mine is https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/850866-What-is-Telkom-s-R189-month-to-month-landline-option but there have been no updates on the thread.

Question: As an international student who has never bought anything on credit before and has never had any debt, not interested in anything to do with Telkom's voice options or them managing the DSL line, and need to end up with an Afrihost connection running successfully, how do I go about successfully applying for the landline rental?

MoonOwl

MoonOwl

Explains your impeccable English. Kudos indeed. Have you been into your nearest Telkom shop?

No, the nearest Telkom shop is 113km away... I was hoping there was a way of doing all of this without having to go to the store physically.

Milano

Honorary Master

No, the nearest Telkom shop is 113km away... I was hoping there was a way of doing all of this without having to go to the store physically.
You are unlikely to achieve success online with Telkom due to your lack of credit rating and foreign citizenship. TBH your chances of success at the Telkom shop are marginally higher but not by much. Telkom is diabolical. It is quite possible that the only way you will solve this is to have an SA citizen do this on your behalf, but give the Telkom store a try in case they are in rare form and prove to be helpful.

MoonOwl

You are unlikely to achieve success online with Telkom due to your lack of credit rating and foreign citizenship. TBH your chances of success at the Telkom shop are marginally higher but not by much. Telkom is diabolical. It is quite possible that the only way you will solve this is to have an SA citizen do this on your behalf, but give the Telkom store a try in case they are in rare form and prove to be helpful.
Let me try find out if my housemates are anywhere close to a Telkom.

MoonOwl

Thanks, Milano, for your assistance and doing what Telkom could have done three days ago. Your kindness will be rewarded when you least expect it.

Telkom is surely abusing its position as a parastatal. In good time, naked DSL will be a service offered by multiple competing service providers. It feels like I'm just being a dreamer...

Once again, thank you :)

MoonOwl

you can also just call 10210 and select new customer option?
That is one of the numbers that left me holding on for hours. I might need to hire someone to act as a Telkom interface with stress medication provided.

I just went into a Telkom shop with my passport, study visa and proof of residence. You then have to pay a deposit, it was R1200 when I did it 7 years ago, you'll get the deposit back(apparently) when you close the line. You also have to pay the first month up front from what I remember.

I'm sure you could do it over the phone with a bit of patience, or try the live chat: https://chat.telkom.co.za/

MoonOwl

I have just gotten off the live chat with one of the agents. They told me exactly what I was told in this thread. The solution is clearly to get one of my South African housemates to do it for me

Edit:
Neither of them could as they live in the middle of nowhere. However, I received a call from them and they put my order through. I now have an order reference; I am now just waiting for them to get it done and let my service provider take over.

Thanks for your support and assistance :)

Last edited:

Milano

Honorary Master
I have just gotten off the live chat with one of the agents. They told me exactly what I was told in this thread. The solution is clearly to get one of my South African housemates to do it for me

Edit:
Neither of them could as they live in the middle of nowhere. However, I received a call from them and they put my order through. I now have an order reference; I am now just waiting for them to get it done and let my service provider take over.

Thanks for your support and assistance :)
Wow, the Telkom gods took kindly to you. No mean feat, congrats! :)

MoonOwl

Wow, the Telkom gods took kindly to you. No mean feat, congrats! :)
Thank you! I am now just waiting on Telkom to install the line promptly. Currently, the status on my order is 'Checking your records'. I have contacte Telkom. Any idea how long it may take to check my records?

Milano

Honorary Master
The checking of records phase took four business days during my most recent Telkom interaction.

Good luck!