How can i prevent my expensive cctv camera from being stolen?

jibo82

I am thinking of getting a reolink ptz (+- R4000) to use outside. It will be positioned just outside my main gate and about 2 meters from the road. I am concerned about it being stolen. How can i prevent it from being stolen. Unfortunately my driveway is receded and if i had to put it within my compound I would not get a good view of the road on either side (which is why I am getting a ptz).

The other option I suppose is to use cheap cameras and have two pointing in either direction??

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Place cheap cameras to see if they get stolen.

After four years we just use our cameras to see if someone is outside, not who anymore.

jibo82

my reason is that there have been a few instances where people were robbed or hijacked by opportunistic criminals who were driving by at the time. Sometimes cars will suspiciously park on the curbs are monitor who is going in and out of various houses. It would be nice to get a view of the street before driving out or to monitor suspicious activity.

jibo82

Place cheap cameras to see if they get stolen.

After four years we just use our cameras to see if someone is outside, not who anymore.
I just dont like the idea of using old tech which i will probably want to replace in a few years. my philosophy is if i do something then do it properly then i only have to do it once

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
my reason is that there have been a few instances where people were robbed or hijacked by opportunistic criminals who were driving by at the time. Sometimes cars will suspiciously park on the curbs are monitor who is going in and out of various houses. It would be nice to get a view of the street before driving out or to monitor suspicious activity.
Don't you have local private security? Fox CPS etc?

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
There's a house close to us with quite a few cameras on the walls, so low even a child could reach it. So far not stolen, touch wood.

Most people put up a pole to put the camera 3 - 4m above the ground. That's probably the best you can do.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Security Camera Behind Barbed Wire Fence Stretched Around Prison Walls  Stock Photo, Picture And Royalty Free Image. Image 56370291.

Tman*

Expert Member
Draw a pic showing what your yard setup is so we can give you more recommendations...

I had to solve a bit of a tricky installation at my home too. In the end I welded some square tubing to a carport inside the yard and made an upside down "L" piece from the square tubing to mount my cam.

The camera was mounted inside the yard, but had visibility outside in the street and was still high (and secure) enough so no one could tamper with it.

Pixies

Honorary Master
I am thinking of getting a reolink ptz (+- R4000) to use outside. It will be positioned just outside my main gate and about 2 meters from the road. I am concerned about it being stolen. How can i prevent it from being stolen. Unfortunately my driveway is receded and if i had to put it within my compound I would not get a good view of the road on either side (which is why I am getting a ptz).

The other option I suppose is to use cheap cameras and have two pointing in either direction??
You add it to your specified insurance list.

Pixies

Honorary Master
I used mine to watch the outside world in March 2020. Feels like last week but almost 2 years ago now.
Were you reporting maskless people and wanderers after curfew Karen? :laugh:

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
I just dont like the idea of using old tech which i will probably want to replace in a few years. my philosophy is if i do something then do it properly then i only have to do it once

What I learnt is you don't need all your cameras to be the most expensive. You can mix cheap cameras with expensive ones.

Our cameras cover parking for clients, our front yard with a view onto the gate so we can see if someone is still there and my garage door as it has a tendency to not close.

Of the four cameras, only one needs to be high definition as the rest are to detect movement, not identify people and recording at full resolution is not worth it for all the cameras.

I bought a Samsung 8 channel system with 4 cameras and 2TB HDD for R10K a couple of years back. I don't recommend to people to go high end after my experience. A cheap system with good storage is good enough and one or two quality cameras.