How can your company become more productive?

garp

Executive Member
- Standup meetings only, nothing longer than 15 mins.
- Food/beverage service on demand to your desk.
- No email - IM (Slack etc) only.
- High speed broadband and high performance laptops pref not windows
- No going out to meet clients - it kills at least half a day - they come to you or conference online, take it or leave it

krycor

Honorary Master
Depends on the company but from what I can see a lot of companies aren’t companies.. they mom & pops that got too big.

Ie if you can’t remove & replace yourself or personalities in the team with a monkey, you don’t have a company.

A business is a series processes & procedures and if you ever go through a merger or acquisition you see big surprise faces when it’s mentioned that the company value is a lot less due to none of this being in place.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
Either micro-manage the lazy ones or ensure that those who are performing get acknowledged

krycor

Honorary Master
Driving efficiency is driving efficient process and yes even creative types of endeavour have an process to it.

But that’s me.. I’m an engineer so I analyze and try and define things as process by default. Also why I usually get paid lots because I quickly workout how to meet business req.. issue I have in SA is that there is a growing amount of non process orientated people in management who wonder why business is struggling...

grok

Honorary Master
Let employees work from home.
But you'd need managers who actually can..

Tman*

Expert Member
Something that had a great impact at our Company is flexitime and that one can work from home.

I haven't been to the office in months. My work is always done and more.

Prawnapple

Expert Member
Get rid of the milennials... this is priority #1. If they can't be fired, then make them start at the bottom, by cleaning the floors or some such.
Less meetings
More aircon
Maybe dump the boomers. Give them some sort of early retirement.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
Get rid of the milennials... this is priority #1. If they can't be fired, then make them start at the bottom, by cleaning the floors or some such.
Less meetings
More aircon
Millenials are born between 1981 - 1996, what year were you born in?

rpm

Admin
Staff member
- Standup meetings only, nothing longer than 15 mins.
- Food/beverage service on demand to your desk.
- No email - IM (Slack etc) only.
- High speed broadband and high performance laptops pref not windows
- No going out to meet clients - it kills at least half a day - they come to you or conference online, take it or leave it
These are practical measures which I think will work.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Depends on the company but from what I can see a lot of companies aren’t companies.. they mom & pops that got too big.

Ie if you can’t remove & replace yourself or personalities in the team with a monkey, you don’t have a company.

A business is a series processes & procedures and if you ever go through a merger or acquisition you see big surprise faces when it’s mentioned that the company value is a lot less due to none of this being in place.
I can see you haven't run your own business.

The thing that costs the most is staff so even if I found the perfect person to replace myself that would be money out of my pocket. Two people would be more money out my pocket and giving away decisions just costs you money.

Maybe in a huge business what you say makes sense but with 40ish staff its just a waste of money.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Do not block anything. Smart people will see it as a challenge and devote time to finding workarounds.

Moto Guzzi

If you were in charge of your company (or if you are), what would you do to make it more productive?
1-Make sure what you manufacture has real sustainable value and a sustainable purpose and of good materials.
2-If you get more productive producing crap, there will be more crap faster on the market for unsespected buyers.
>It will shorten cycles.
3-Productivity is like oxygen, its can accellerate rust.
4-Productivity is obviously realted to speed of output, so its a small factor in a quality product.
5-Crappy products produced productively is a waiste of resources and time.
Where does productivity fits in:
1-Good design.
2-Good materials.
3-Good manufacturing products.
4-Quality control of processes.
5-Good workforce.
6-Productivity is a function of inputs to outputs related to a worker.
Why this take on it: A lot of outight ill products(Crap) appears on the markets for sale, they may look attractive on 1st glance, but don't last, so even if it was produced under the most productive means, it may not say much about the product arriving on the market for the buyer.
7-Crappy products can put a good product out of bussiness if overadvertised in the short term.

So if productivty as per its definition is understood as only a part of the total requirements, its a good thing to the company and the receiver/buyer of it, especially on outsourced parts for generally known as a good product.
A well productive manufactured outsourced part manufactured can put a good product in jeopardy down the line if not based on 1-5 above.

So in short whatever you produce more productively, don't "litter" more.

Last edited: