How Cartographers for the U.S. Military Inadvertently Created a House of Horrors in South Africa

PoppieChoffel

Expert Member
Has the court case gone away? As a lawyer, it must have been really concerning.
I reached out to Benna Bok and its lawyer repeatedly about the path that led them to John but never got a response.
It isn't mentioned again after this in the article, but if they can prove that the IP is an error (which they can, now), there is nothing tying him to the FB posts at all, it would be dismissed in any court of law I think.

KT-B

Honorary Master
It isn't mentioned again after this in the article, but if they can prove that the IP is an error (which they can, now), there is nothing tying him to the FB posts at all, it would be dismissed in any court of law I think.
I really hope so. He doesn't need this mess causing problems with his career.

Wow. :crying:

The article said:
They just happen to live in a very unfortunate location, a location cursed by dimwitted decisions made by people who lived half a world away, people who made designations on maps and in databases without thinking about the real-world places and people they represented.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Apart from the frustration, I find it bizarre that anyone in their right mind would try to locate someone via their IP address, since there is no direct correlation unless you have a fixed IP (which is very rare in SA).

If there is a genuine criminal case, the procedure is to subpoena the ISP, and get logs of the account holder. Even that is not foolproof, since it could be on WiFi with multiple users.

Must be dodgy private investigators, or watching too many episodes of CSI...

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Apart from the frustration, I find it bizarre that anyone in their right mind would try to locate someone via their IP address, since there is no direct correlation unless you have a fixed IP (which is very rare in SA).

If there is a genuine criminal case, the procedure is to subpoena the ISP, and get logs of the account holder. Even that is not foolproof, since it could be on WiFi with multiple users.

Yup, that bunch, and many idiots from SAPS too apparently...

KT-B

Honorary Master

A little information is dangerous. So is a little knowledge

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Hmm. Interesting.
Type in your Town Name and Coordinates, and go there on Google Maps.
Meyerton is a empty stretch of road with a lamppost.