How Cartographers for the U.S. Military Inadvertently Created a House of Horrors in South Africa

Eniigma

Expert Member
What is a place? What is its center? What best represents it? There are several different possible “centers” of Pretoria. There’s the zoological park. There’s Africa’s biggest mall. There are multiple government buildings that have served as political centers over South Africa’s long complicated history. There’s the Palace of Justice in Church Square, where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned. There are the Union Buildings, with the famous statue of Nelson Mandela, his arms upraised, which serves as the seat of the South African government. John and Ann’s backyard is in a suburb north of the city center, and it’s unclear how NGA’s cartographers decided it was a key location. It was a weighty, if apparently random, decision.
I like it how the new coordinates is Church Square.
They should have changed it to the Union Buildings, at least it would accuratly point to a bunch of crooks.

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
Do "they" have a database of where all the "poppies" live ?
Dating by Co-Ord -- one can tell a lot
Are you on the right side or the wrong side of PNP ( or NPN )

Arthur

Honorary Master
Lekker article. Thanks for posting. Nice to learn new stuff, like existence and role of the NGA, MaxMind. Makes complete sense.

I'd really like to know whether Google, Apple, Microsoft and others correlate device co-ords (from device GPS) and public IP address and share that info with the NGA.

Last edited:

Gordon_R

Executive Member
I'd really like to know whether Google, Apple, Microsoft and others correlate device co-ords (from device GPS) and public IP address and share that info with the NGA.
Google, etc certainly won't be able to share GPS and IP addresses in countries that have adequate data protection regulation, particularly the EU. The NGA is mostly interested in mapping, I don't think they want your IP address. Other agencies might...

Arthur

Honorary Master
Google, etc certainly won't be able to share GPS and IP addresses in countries that have adequate data protection regulation, particularly the EU. The NGA is mostly interested in mapping, I don't think they want your IP address. Other agencies might...
Yes, it seems the NGA are mappers, not spies.

Certainly the security & intelligence agencies would be very interested in any databases that have GPS-based device location + external IP.

My working assumption is that "They" routinely get this from Apple, Google and possibly Microsoft. Probably in terms of secret orders where any reference to or mention of the existence of such orders is also prohibited.

chrisc

Executive Member
I understand the waypoint has now been moved to Church Square in Pretoria. There is a statue of Paul Kruger that has not been taken down yet