How City Power can cut off your electricity if you use too much

requiem

Expert Member
The entire idea is ****ing stupid.

Why can't we get people in government who can think a bit further than their own snouts.

Fix the problem, and stop punishing consumers for using your product.

Imagine any other business where you get penalized for making use of the company's services.

P3wP3w

Surely this constant on/off will increase the chances of your electronic equipment getting stuffed.

creeper

Expert Member
So. Let me get it straight. They will turn off your power, then switch it on, then turn it off again, until you comply. I can see some appliances with shortened lifespans Why not just send an SMS for the user to comply, warning he/she will be switched off in the next 5 minutes in the event of non-compliance.

P3wP3w beat me to it /edit

requiem

Expert Member
So. Let me get it straight. They will turn off your power, then switch it on, then turn it off again, until you comply. I can see some appliances with shortened lifespans Why not just send an SMS for the user to comply, warning he/she will be switched off in the next 5 minutes in the event of non-compliance.
Because then some **** could not get a tender to install smart meters.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
So you'd rather sit without power and have proper loadshedding for however many hours instead of reducing your load?

I wish I had a smart meter, an too bad smart meters and smart phones don't make their owners smart...

Sinbad

Honorary Master
So you'd rather sit without power and have proper loadshedding for however many hours instead of reducing your load?

I wish I had a smart meter, an too bad smart meters and smart phones don't make their owners smart...
Happy to reduce load. Not happy for some trigger happy quota employee to switch my power off and on repeatedly especially if I'm not home...

quovadis

Expert Member
21amps seems quite generous? Would've thought it would've been more aggressive.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
They can't manage shyte how they going to manage this.
The cANCer has broken everything they got.

Mike Hoxblack

The entire idea is ****ing stupid.

Why can't we get people in government who can think a bit further than their own snouts.

Fix the problem, and stop punishing consumers for using your product.

Imagine any other business where you get penalized for making use of the company's services.
Ever heard of uncapped ADSL in South Africa?

ab-user

Am I right that this is just over 4.5 kW?
Question: Will this be immediate (snapshot type) usage, or some kind of average, and then over what period? Will there be "problems" with stove plates / oven / geysers / hair dryers running at the same time...?

Keeper

Honorary Master
I would love this, my power is going off in 9 minutes and i have no choice. :(

See you guys on the other side.

Ianf1

Expert Member
Biggest BS out we have the pleasure of this, anything over 2 KW and you get hit. So you can't even boil a kettle.
I have tried to change this and switched off the power treshold on unit. Plus raised the limit to 8 KW. Lets see if that works. Our geyser draws about 4 KW, so go figure. This seems to be working so far.

garp

Executive Member
Applying the same limit to all households regardless of size is stupid. The whole idea is stupid and a slippery slope to a world where the government decides when you can make toast or boil water.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Applying the same limit to all households regardless of size is stupid. The whole idea is stupid and a slippery slope to a world where the government decides when you can make toast or boil water.
Enjoy the full loadshed*...

*Which shouldn't be happening, but the majority loves it too or else they'd stop voting ANC.

savage

Expert Member
Thank gawd I'm not in JHB :sick: I feel for em jo'burgers right about now

McT

The Humble Scot!
Surely this constant on/off will increase the chances of your electronic equipment getting stuffed.
I agree that the power surge will eventually cause damage. Appliances and other equipment are not designed for the off/on thing with the surge that follows. I have had to replace/repair 2 items recently because of this. If these idiots think they can just go trigger happy with their switches, the claims for appliances and electronics damages by their eejits will hurt them soon enough.

This is the dumbest idea I have heard of, and crowns the many other they idiotic idea have dreamed up to date.