How concerned are you personally about the coronavirus spreading around the world, including South Africa?

How concerned are you personally about the coronavirus spreading around the world, including SA?

• I'm prepping (Stockpiling masks, disinfectant, rubbing alcohol, hand sanitiser, gloves, etc)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Very concerned

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • Somewhat concerned

Votes: 35 26.7%
  • Neither concerned nor unconcerned

Votes: 20 15.3%
  • Not very concerned

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • Not at all concerned

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I don't even know what this is all about

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Not a thread to for an in-depth discussion on the outbreak as that already exists. This is more just to see what people are thinking.

In my own person interactions most people seem to have heard about it but don't know what is going on or they have no interest at all. I've been told by some that ''it's China's problem'' and I've been met with ''Oh'' when I gave them an update on the death toll or a new revelation.

Last edited:

R4ziel

Expert Member
I selected somewhat concerned, purely because I don't know what info to believe, If you go by the official numbers, it won't be too much of an issue outside China, if you go by the way they are quarantining people and the incubation period coupled with the infection rate, when it gets to Africa we are fked, if it starts spreading in Africa I will start to stockpile stuff just in case, because then I believe it will be a major plague that won't be stopped until the traffic on the N1 gets a lot better

thestaggy

Honorary Master
2% fatality rate - I fancy my chances.
Its higher than that. You cannot measure fatalities against the amount of total infections because the infected haven't yet run full course. They can still die. You need to compare the fatalities with the recoveries.

Fatalities: 1,115
Recoveries: 4,794

1,115/(1,115 + 4,794) = 18.7%

1581491895704.png

Reactions: 3WA

Arex

Not too concerned, Unless the Chinese government is hiding something :rolleyes:

3WA

Executive Member
Its higher than that. You need to keep in mind that you cannot measure fatalities against the amount of infections because the infected haven't yet run full course. They can still die. You need to compare the fatalities with the recoveries.

Fatalities: 1,115
Recoveries: 4,794
Total closes cases: 5,909

1,115/(1,115 + 4,794) = 18.7%
Good point. Thinning out 19% of the population is a bit of a problem.

mister

Executive Member
I'm not worried about myself but I am worried about our poor people who have no access to medical care.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Not if the 18% is a random distribution across society. It would only help if it preferentially removes undesirable elements.
Meh, I like the random idea. We would never as society be able to agree on who the undesirables are anyway. This way takes that decision away.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I selected somewhat concerned, purely because I don't know what info to believe, If you go by the official numbers, it won't be too much of an issue outside China, if you go by the way they are quarantining people and the incubation period coupled with the infection rate, when it gets to Africa we are fked, if it starts spreading in Africa I will start to stockpile stuff just in case, because then I believe it will be a major plague that won't be stopped until the traffic on the N1 gets a lot better
This is my primary concern. Of all the governments to distrust one like China's is at the top of the list. State controlled media and a reputation for making people disappear when they say things the state does not like, so who knows what is going on.

Goosfrabba

No concern whatsoever. I feel for those in the inffected zone without food etc.

We managed to contain and survive Ebola, reckon we'll be fine.

3WA

Executive Member
Meh, I like the random idea. We would never as society be able to agree on who the undesirables are anyway. This way takes that decision away.
In reality, it's more likely to remove people who can't easily access healthcare or afford medication.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
In reality, it's more likely to remove people who can't easily access healthcare or afford medication.
Who would put a drain on the system for the rest of us anyway. I'm still looking at the sunny side of the deal.