How do i do Bandwidth Management if i run a wisp from home?

tiaangreeff

Hi All,

I am considering starting a WISP but I have no idea how to do the Bandwidth Configuration... If you can call it that.

So can someone please explain to me how it work say for instance you have a 100 mbps Line into your house and onto the right gear and then out to a Dish on your roof and then sending that to your customers, now here is my question how do i set the limit for them? For instance from my original 100 mbps and they are paying me for say 20 mbps upload and download how do i set the bandwidth limits for them and me because i only want say 10 mbps up and down. Also how do i work out my packages like what telkom and those guys have the different Types of speeds they sell. How do i work that out from say a 100 mbps just as an example.

Regards

tiaangreeff

Ya, it is all legal working thru a other company that takes over my telkom line and i pay almost half indeed not allready half of what i am paying now and best is i can keep adding 100mbps

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Hi All,

I am considering starting a WISP but I have no idea how to do the Bandwidth Configuration... If you can call it that.

So can someone please explain to me how it work say for instance you have a 100 mbps Line into your house and onto the right gear and then out to a Dish on your roof and then sending that to your customers, now here is my question how do i set the limit for them? For instance from my original 100 mbps and they are paying me for say 20 mbps upload and download how do i set the bandwidth limits for them and me because i only want say 10 mbps up and down. Also how do i work out my packages like what telkom and those guys have the different Types of speeds they sell. How do i work that out from say a 100 mbps just as an example.

Regards
Two threads? Why?

Mods maybe merge?

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/thr...you-set-it-if-you-are-wisp-from-home.1006256/

access

Executive Member
Thanks so much for this i just needed a break. All the guys in the wifi and wisp form are giving me a hard time about this. Thanks for the info
yeah they are giving you a hard time because you seem very inexperienced and this causes a lot of hassle for established wisp providers when approaching potential subscribers who have had a bad experience from poorly installed solutions in the past.

just make sure you do things properly.

paul5186

Expert Member
First off you would need a license, secondly you are not usually allowed to aggregate off a normal residential or commercial fibre package.

Regarding bandwidth management you can use radius and pppoe to limit speeds and a mikrotik for queues, QoS etc.

Genisys

Executive Member
It all depends on your goals as well, if you want to compete with the other wisps in your area it helps having more stable infrastructure, and having redundancy in place in case something breaks. A single FTTH connection (Please stop calling a fibre connection a "line" as its anything but a "line") won't be sufficient as it probably will be against the terms of the network provider and you won't have any guarantee of service.

You'll need proper routing equipment , you'll need at least two high sites and two separate internet connections to make sure you have redundancy, (That means a contract to run a HS from another location as well as backbone links. You'll also need a contract with an infrastructure provider to give you the desired dedicated links) you'll need a licence, you'll need to set up peering, you'll need IP space, you need decent wireless equipment (no Mikrotik wireless isn't the answer), you'll need support staff (Customers will pay you for a service after all). Logging and network monitoring is an important aspect.

That is just scraping the tip of the iceberg. If you want to compete with others your pricing is pointless if your service is not stable and enjoyable. There is a reason why established WISP's are more expensive.

tiaangreeff

Thanks to all for the info. Luckily in terms of doing it right from the get go i am a perfectionist so i will do my best and in terms of Fibre it is thru telkom but i don't deal with telkom at all i work thru Imaginet so i have a account with them for 100 mbps then i pay them and it go's thru them and not telkom. So technically speaking that will be my Backbone for my service, and i have a private 10 mbps fibre connection for myself.