How do I get Wi-Fi / ethernet to a house 2 houses down?

powermzii

Expert Member
mmm ok - im looking to see if i can get a link of 600m PtP through some trees - will have to go onto the roof to see if i have line of sight

Corelli

Expert Member
You need a license to transmit it that far sorry. Its the rules. You will have to pay a radio license. They are pretty strict about it.

We ran a cable past 2 houses. Let alone the one a granny and the one another neighbour. Eventually they were all on the same connection. So we just planted a very long pipe and did all the cabling. So we paid for 1 line account (then DSL 20mbps) and then everyone just paid a bit (other than the granny - she was really just sending emails to her grandkids).

chrisc

Executive Member
I ran a Cat6 shielded cable in galvanised steel conduit with 4 inspection boxes between 2 houses. In the end we used just under 200m from a 305m drum

Speed was 1000 mb/sec. This was 6 years ago and has not given a moment's problem

It went underground (1.2m) at my house to avoid the wall, ran about 1.2m under the neighbour's back wall for 38m and then up the wall in the third house where the pipe ended in the roof

Just attached RJ45 plugs each end and it worked immediately

HartsockZA

2.4Ghz sucks for PTP. It'll work well enough through the trees, but you're probably going to get crappy performance due to interference.
Well I've tried this before sunshine so it works but for like 150m and yes don't expect like friggin 2ms 500mb up dwn hahaha

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
I used this between my mom and sisters' houses - had decent LOS though.

Works like a charm - my mom only uses it for her cellphone, DSTVNow and Netflix.

TP-Link 5Ghz 300Mbps 13Dbi 2X2 Outdoor CPE510 Dual pack​

Little Mac

Honorary Master
doesnt that need a clear path look at all those trees
I used a Ubiquiti bullet and mesh antenna without line of sight. Had a double story house directly in front of my place but it worked like a charm. Distance was two blocks.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
@OP legally you'll need to go point to point (wireless) route, you can't run cabling between properties and you're basically relying on the fact that the middle neighbor agrees and never sells their house.
Don't think P2P WiFi is legal either but it's far harder to police so you're not likely to have hassles.