How do i set up internet on a new sim for phone?

krycor

Honorary Master
As per title.. How do i set up internet on a new sim for phone? This is on a new prepaid phone sim 32k card. Uhm i did the request for wap & mms settings etc and installed it but no net access. Does one have to do anything else to activate it? (brother is borrowing my phone)

I use vodacom with my sim so i am clueless here :( plz help.

krycor

Honorary Master
he loaded R10 on it.. (its just to check his email over the week-end)

*looking for a voda sim to give him if i can't get it to work*

Sackboy

Executive Member
The internet access is the same as the WAP settings. Ask for all of them, including MMS if you like. It puts the APN on the phone according to what model cellphone you use. It also provisions the account (SIM) for data/streaming and MMS. You also have to turn the phone on/off to get it going on some phones.

jason4mc

When using a new prepaid simcard, first call MTN to activate it for internet access...

marco

Expert Member
All incorrect.
Need more info. Do you have a USB Modem Driver for this phone? If so. In Device Manager does it show as a modem? If so, you need settings. If so, I will give them to you.
Changing a SIM does not affect your internet if you are using the same phone as a modem. But then you say your boet has your phone. Are you left with the SIM only?

Last edited:

marco

Expert Member

That is your inquiry. Sorry, I thought your phone was gone.
A sim does not need to be set up. You only need data bundles. The wap settings you download only sets up your PHONE for internet wap sites.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Sackboy

Executive Member

That is your inquiry. Sorry, I thought your phone was gone.
A sim does not need to be set up. You only need data bundles. The wap settings you download only sets up your PHONE for internet wap sites.
Correct me if I am wrong.
If you put a new SIM in a phone that has the settings all correct, it will not work even if you've bought the airtime and data bundle. The SIM (account) still has to be set up by MTN. This will happen as soon as you request settings (delete the old ones). You can also call the operator, who can do it, but be prepared to wait.

marco

Expert Member
Never had this problem. I just download a bundle on ANY SIM and away I go. Remember we are talking about tethering to a PC, not cell browsing.
Your computer must have the settings and the driver for your cell.

krycor

Honorary Master
this was for phone browsing only, never got it to work. I thought it would be like voda prepaid browsing?