How do sportsmen/women earn a living after retiring?

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
9. Ernie Els. Net worth: $75 million The Big Easy has held the #1 spot and, at 788 weeks up to 2013, also the record for the most weeks in the top 10. The South African earns extra money from designing golf courses and from his winery, Ernie Els Wines

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Charl Schwartzel net worth: Charl Schwartzel is a South African professional golfer who has a net worth of $16 million

Some people can make huge money, but I was mostly wondering about the guys who come from a family with more modest means, and who are the "big fish in a small pond", but never become a Habana or the like.

The Pat Symcox answer and similar were exactly what I was looking for.

I knew someone who played for the Sharks for a good few years, but his parents owned at least one business, so the transition from sports to running a business was easier than it would be for most.

The inspiration for the question was the son of a friend of an acquaintance, who got a contract to play for the Leopards, and was wondering what his likely career prospects would be after his rugby career invariably comes to an end.

Cius

Executive Member
So I just came from applying for a Shengen Visa to the Netherlands and the guy behind me in the queue was urgently applying to go too for the ICC to umpire some cricket games. I think it was Adrian Holdstock. He mainly played provincial but has been an umpire for some time if it was him I met.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
If we take rugby as an example, very few of our playing pool ever go play in Europe, and even less in Japan. There are currently a couple of hundred professional rugby players in SA and maybe 30 now plying their trade overseas. To it this in context, there are about 10-15 new Springboks capped each year.
The SA Rugby annual listed over 280 players playing abroad at the end of 2015, and while the list may have fluctuated somewhat with player retirements and some moving back to South Africa, the 45 players below have all signed in recent months while another 16 South African players have completed moves to new clubs ahead of the new European season, to start in August.

https://www.supersport.com/rugby/sa-rugby/news/160630/SA_players_head_overseas_after_Super_Rugby

koogs

Andre Joubert was in the photocopier business in Dbn for ages now.

Gary Teichmann runs Teichmann Civils in Dbn.

Wahl Bartman is running Fidelity Security and Johan Booysens is also with them now.

Toks vd Linde was running coffee shops.

Ahmed Amla is working as a manager for Coo-ee.

cn@

Expert Member
Jannie du Plessis is a medical doctor.

From wikipedia it is said that he got his first call-up to be a Springbok right after performing a caesarean section to bring a child into this world.

Muchos respectos.

Maybe the same can be said, what was of Uli Schmidt (who is also a medical doctor), since both have an aggressively confronting attitude in their gameplay ... they make their own patients.

Doctor Jannie (At his consultation office), "So Richie, how did you manage to get a severed knee ligament and a black eye in one rugby match?"

Richie McCaw, "It was you, doctor. Don't you remember?!?!?!"

Last edited: