Votes: 58 18.9%
  • I don't

Votes: 26 8.5%
  • Other

Votes: 8 2.6%

• Total voters

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Each have their place, gas, wood, Weber... All are great in their own way.

But how you supposed to kuier lekker around a gas bbq? You supposed to be able to stare into the flames while talking kak to your friends. It's needed for dramatic effect, slowly pushing around a log on the fire as you reminisce about the one that got away
Agree 100%, the gas is not for kuier. It is a 'takeaway braai' :laugh:
Very convenient when you braai alone like I do most of the time

Yeah I don't ask anyone to add logs to the fire anymore

the-fire-is-going-cold-can-you-drop-a-log-on-it-please-woman-literally-takes-a-dump.jpg

Nemesys

Never briquettes is leave a horrible taste on the meat. Briquettes for baking my potbrood yes.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I never have problems with briquettes unless it is bloody windy, then you get the white ash blowing up onto the meat and it tastes kak. Briquettes are made from different ingredients including sawdust.

epah

Expert Member
d72d89121070bedb4e998866ca539291.jpg

Always in a hurry so this is what I do.

Nemesys

You must be cooking on them too soon for them to impart a bad taste on your food.
Briquettes are made from the scrap that cannot be sold during the process of making charcoal. An agent is added to the fine charcoal to assist in the bonding during the process of forming the briquettes. The taste and smell of that agent is transferred to the meat. Being Somone that never smoked in my life my tastebuds are still intact. I do not marinate my meat I like to taste the meat not the marinate. Flatties are the only thing I do marinated and that would be in my gas fired stainless-steel spit.

i do not

SAguy

Executive Member
I always forget the difference between between charcoal and briquettes

randomcat

Expert Member
I usually just buy the cheapest charcoal or briquettes. I used NamChar last week and it's much better than the stuff I used before :unsure:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Briquettes are made from the scrap that cannot be sold during the process of making charcoal. An agent is added to the fine charcoal to assist in the bonding during the process of forming the briquettes. The taste and smell of that agent is transferred to the meat. Being Somone that never smoked in my life my tastebuds are still intact. I do not marinate my meat I like to taste the meat not the marinate. Flatties are the only thing I do marinated and that would be in my gas fired stainless-steel spit.

i do not
Learnt a long time ago how to judge when the briquets were ready to use and I smoked during my younger days. So I'll put that down as win-win. :)

Speedster

Honorary Master
Today, wood for lunch. Wood-fired pizza oven and gas braai for dinner.

Nemesys

Learnt a long time ago how to judge when the briquets were ready to use and I smoked during my younger days. So I'll put that down as win-win. :)
Be as it may I use briquettes for my pot bread and my pan is stainless steel. I use 6 briquettes on top and the tar like deposit left over on the lid afterwards ......... but enough oft this. My preference is wood/charcoal and gas when I use the spit.