How do you "cope" with the blackouts?

How do you "cope" with the rotational blackouts?

• Minimalistic approach

Votes: 129 27.7%
  • Select devices powered by battery or generator

Votes: 236 50.8%
  • Complete backup solution

Votes: 55 11.8%
  • Off the grid

Votes: 21 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 24 5.2%

• Total voters

VoodooBean

How do I cope !

Bottle of Jack, mild sedative and sleepless nights when the power comes on and off during the late night loadshitting after I cry myself to sleep !

yebocan

Honorary Master
Selected devices are on battery backup. For the rest I have several spells, incantations, Voodoo dolls etc. on hand of the various politicians / people who are responsible for all of this and while I loadshed at night, I draw out a pentagram in fire on our lawn, and offer up their names to the Dark Lord, may He touch their lives.
all we need is a 7 of 9 and a couple Omega Particles.. Kardashev scale would be proud...

comanche

Internet and laptops only. Have some PnP backup lightbulbs which switch on automatically when the power goes out. They're amazing.

Deanos

Couldn't be bothered with all the extra expenses...

Power goes out, so do I!
Time to catchup on that much needed sleep, or just go chill on the couch...

People don't do enough of that anymore and most need it more than they know!

NGEYA

We have an Auto generator and when there is blackout after few seconds the generator starts

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Couldn't be bothered with all the extra expenses...

Power goes out, so do I!
Time to catchup on that much needed sleep, or just go chill on the couch...

People don't do enough of that anymore and most need it more than they know!
Meh. I have a scheduled afternoon nap even when there isn't loadshedding.

Unreal

Where is the best place (and cheapest) to buy an inverter and lithium ion batteries?

dadecoza

Expert Member
I have one of those cheapy R300 inverters that I connect to my car battery and then run a weed-eater extension cord from the garage into the house to plug in my routers. We also make sure the laptops/phones/tablets are charged.
After load-shedding I put a charger on the car battery.

innovator

I approached GoSolr with a community proposal In Melkbosstrand I give them 200+ customers and they offer us a free system we only pay for the electricity we use from the panels. They continue to own, install, insure, maintain and upgrade at their expense.
They liked the idea and approached investors and they rolled out two weeks ago my house first. Well No more loadshedding,
No more big price increases
No more high usage penalties
And No more being held hostage by the City of Cape Town with your pay as you go meter.
if you are interested, from anywhere in CT or West Coast just browse to:
OFFTHEGRID.Melkbos.biz

Reactions: SZN

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I have one of those cheapy R300 inverters that I connect to my car battery and then run a weed-eater extension cord from the garage into the house to plug in my routers. We also make sure the laptops/phones/tablets are charged.
After load-shedding I put a charger on the car battery.
Wouldn't a 12v alarm battery in your house work just as well? You could still charge it with your charger.

itareanlnotani

Executive Member
Offgrid, and have been for a good while.

I'm totally fine with load shedding, but the connectivity to me isn't.

The local 4g connection will work for around 4hrs assuming no previous loadshedding, then go down.
The point to point wifi is similar - 4hrs then you're done., although hiccups when power comes back up for 5 min (as it probably resets)

I'm on the waiting list for Starlink, but ICASA is stabbing that idea in the back, so will not be a likely source of internet for another year or three or four even. Still hoping, but I suspect Nigeria will be the first subsaharan country to get it, vs us.

Who knows, maybe by that point will have fibre in the hood finally, instead of everywhere around us, but not us.

The other issue with loadshedding I've found is that food goes bad. Last batch of loadshedding, the meat we were buying from PnP, Checkers, Food Lovers in the area was off/bad quite a few times. This sucked a bit, as we just freeze the meat immediately, and defrost / cook when we need it, so didn't notice till after.

Hard to complain when its a month later...

I suspect their warehousing /transport had issues, as at least one of the stores in the area has panels on the roof, and should have battery too.

I did bring it up with the meat manager at Food Lovers, who was apologetic, but doesn't really help.

Water can also go down if there is no power. Haven't had that happen that often, but will probably look at taking water offgrid too - and adding a bunch of storage jojo's to supply for washing purposes.

itareanlnotani

Executive Member
Lithium Iron not ion
Lithium Ion is correct.

Common Lithium ion batteries used for KWhr level storage are:
LFP / LiFePO4 / Lithium iron phosphate
NMC /LiNiMnCoO2 / Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide (higher capacity than LFP, but more expensive)

LFP is less energy dense than other Lithium Ion batteries, but generally safer, so a good option for Home storage, at least until solid state batteries become more market ready - my guesstimate on that is another 5-10 years.

Boskoors

How do you "cope" with rotational blackouts? Do you take the minimalistic approach (eg a Magneto light and your cellphone or tablet) or do you prefer to run select devices off a small generator or battery & inverter?

Perhaps you have a complete backup solution that powers your entire house, or have even gone completely off the grid?

Are you considering upgrading your current system to better cope with future problems?
Built my own UPS running wifi, and some smaller system a few months ago and end up being the best thing I have done this year with the latest spate of loadshedding.