How do you get rid of that noise from you thoughts?

Arthur

Honorary Master
It's the voice of conscience, however distorted and unformed. Don't ignore it. But make sure you can correctly interpret.

R13...

Honorary Master
Isn't OP in matric? Perhaps stepping away from the PC for a minute and spending some time outside may help with the voices in his head.

Awesum

Expert Member
How do you stop from falling asleep?
Sit with a straight back, face forward, feet firmly on ground and you can connect your index fingers with your thumbs, palms up, which for me helps my body slightly focus on something it's doing instead of going to sleep.

Belly breathing and watching the breath also helps. When the attention wanders, bring it back again and again.

Also make sure you, get good sleep. :)

KT-B

Honorary Master
Sit with a straight back, face forward, feet firmly on ground and you can connect your index fingers with your thumbs, palms up, which for me helps my body slightly focus on something it's doing instead of going to sleep.

Belly breathing and watching the breath also helps. When the attention wanders, bring it back again and again.

Also make sure you, get good sleep. :)
I see my problem - always tried it in bed. Shall try it sitting up.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
interesting. Just wondering why the pharma's havent put into commercial medication or have they?
I tend to only trust something someone who's studied for years creates in a laboratory and does testing on. Rather than just "it grows out back and can help you with X"
There have been a lot of studies done on mushrooms recently, and they have been proven to be beneficial for a variety of mental issues. However, as you point out, pharma can't make a dime from them, so they don't like them and will fight to keep them illegal.

Ketamine appears to be a wonder drug for depression, and some studies even point to it being able to prevent depression from occurring. But again, ketamine is an old drug and you can't patent it, although some drug companies are trying to develop drugs that act in a similar way to ketamine without getting you high.

OP: I recommend you read a book called The Headspace Guide to... Mindfulness & Meditation by Andy Puddicombe. It is pretty cheap on Kindle so hopefully it will be cheap on TakeAlot too.

It covers meditation of course - but what makes it different is its approach. It covers what meditation is, why you should do it, and points out things about your emotions that you might not have noticed. It is written in an informal and easy to read style. I think it will help you.

One thing to start thinking about is that Western culture teaches us to pursue happiness. We want to be happy all the time. But this is unrealistic. It is impossible to be happy all the time. It would be better to embrace happiness when you are happy and accept sadness when it occurs. But the book explains this concept much much better.

digitalis

I read this: Full catastrophe living by Jon Kabat-Zinn, just because I wanted to learn a bit more about the causes and ways in which anxiety can be managed. I didn't realise it would lead me down a profoundly positive rabbit hole into mindfulness.
As mentioned above by @C4Cat I'm also a subscriber on the wakingup app, and it is great. Although I feel I had a fortuitous introduction to mindfulness by reading Full catastrophe living first. The reason is that I'm an unwavering skeptic, so if anyone had mentioned mindfulness to me when I was first trying to learn about anxiety/depression I would have laughed it off as esoteric nonsense. Jon Kabat-Zinn and Sam Harris (wakingup) produce such clear, concise and empirically based content, that was able to punch through my skepticism to the point where I am practicing something daily that I thought was only for hippies.
Anyway, with work and kids etc I'm not able to practice as much as I would like, but the little that I do practice has allowed me to feel like I'm in control of my anxiety/depression as opposed to feeling like a victim of it. There are also many other aspects of my life that have improved because of it. Definitely give it a try.

Bobbin

Executive Member
Depression, negative thoughts and remaining positive throughout any situation
We all go through this to varying extents.

Immediate things you could do that doesn't involve medication:

- Go to sleep earlier (i.e. 9pm), get plenty of rest (i.e. 8 hours). Make this a strict habit. I feel a little depressed right now and I'm 90% sure it's sleep related.

- Check your diet. Carnivore diet has been known to combat depression for example, though be cautious depending on your needs and health.

- Start applying for a new job if this is a contributing factor. I left a corporate many years ago and it made a huge difference on my mood and life situation.

- Take stock of your situation (financially, socially etc...) and problem solve how to improve or ask others for advice on those specific topics.

- Take an objective stance on it. You're depressed, it's chemicals, hooray, smile and move on. Chemicals be damned, you're bigger than that.

- Work on a hobby or do a little more of what you love provided it isn't destructive.

As we approach the festive season depression has been said to increase. Without depression there's no happiness. Take care :)

Last edited: