How do you get smell of incense sticks out of laptop?

I have a hand me down laptop. It is actually pretty decent but 1 problem.

The previous owner constantly lit an incense stick close to the laptop.

The laptop fan is blowing out the scent of incense stick & the power cord smells like it to.

I am asthmatic & it sometimes bothers me.

How can I get rid of this smell? Thanks

genetic

Honorary Master
You'll need to strip the laptop apart. The smell is clinging to dust particles in the heatsinks and fans most likely. Clean those out and you'll be good.

You'll probably have to reapply thermal paste while you're at it too, so unless you know what you're doing, it might be better handing this over to someone else.

You'll need to strip the laptop apart. The smell is clinging to dust particles in the heatsinks and fans most likely. Clean those out and you'll be good.

You'll probably have to reapply thermal paste while you're at it too, so unless you know what you're doing, it might be better handing this over to someone else.
It is still under warranty. The 3rd party that handles repairs for HP in CPT has terrible reviews.

I am beginning to wonder if it is even worth it.

You mentioned thermal paste, so I need to find a company that does decent work & won't damage it further.

Let me know if you know of anyone in Cape Town. Thanks

WAslayer

Expert Member
It is still under warranty. The 3rd party that handles repairs for HP in CPT has terrible reviews.

I am beginning to wonder if it is even worth it.

You mentioned thermal paste, so I need to find a company that does decent work & won't damage it further.

Let me know if you know of anyone in Cape Town. Thanks
If it is still under warranty, you risk losing it if anyone other than authorised service center opens it..

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Incense smoke leaves an oily residue which makes the smell linger. The only way to really get rid of it would be to do something to cut through the grease.

The problem is that the solutions may be worse for your asthma (heating a bowl of ammonia and allowing the fumes to penetrate the laptop for example) than simply waiting for it to break down over time. What I would try is placing a bowl of baking soda or activated charcoal by the fan so that any odours are absorbed as they blow out the laptop.

If it is still under warranty, you risk losing it if anyone other than authorised service center opens it..
Will try to get it sorted out by Ensure Services(authorised hp repair centre) but the reviews on Google are making me feel uneasy. I even called them & they do not answer the phone.

Incense smoke leaves an oily residue which makes the smell linger. The only way to really get rid of it would be to do something to cut through the grease.

The problem is that the solutions may be worse for your asthma (heating a bowl of ammonia and allowing the fumes to penetrate the laptop for example) than simply waiting for it to break down over time. What I would try is placing a bowl of baking soda or activated charcoal by the fan so that any odours are absorbed as they blow out the laptop.
Thanks. Think I am going to drive to Ensure services & check if they can do anything. Hopefully they don't damage my laptop in the process.

Leave it on some rice overnight.

If it works for moisture it should work for smells.
I actually wanna try this.

I wiped it with rubbing alcohol earlier & it got rid of some of the smell on chassis/housing.

It is just the ventilation area that smells like incense now. It blows out scented air.

I want to try the rice but afraid the rice will go into ventilation holes on the side & enter the inside.