How do you keep a prepaid cellphone number from being disconnected if not on network

skimread

Honorary Master
I have a prepaid cellphone number. It is prepaid and doesn't get signal overseas.

Is there a way I can use it to roam overseas or not get it disconnected if I am overseas let say for year or more.

marioat1

Expert Member
I have a prepaid cellphone number. It is prepaid and doesn't get signal overseas.

Is there a way I can use it to roam overseas or not get it disconnected if I am overseas let say for year or more.
The network requirement is 1 chargeable transaction in 90 days, I used to send an sms every 2 months. Worked fine for 6 years like that.
You'll have to contact your service provider about why you have no network when abroad

skimread

Honorary Master
The network requirement is 1 chargeable transaction in 90 days, I used to send an sms every 2 months. Worked fine for 6 years like that.
How do you send an SMS if you are overseas as the phone shows no network?

skimread

Honorary Master
I thought only contract numbers support roaming.

If roaming is used
Who is charged for the international part of voice calls going to your number or SMSs coming to your number in a foreign country? My understanding is that the caller or SMSsee pays for the local part and the receiver pays for the international part. I imagine that can get expensive quickly with all the spam calls and SMS notifications we get.

sajunky

Honorary Master
I thought only contract numbers support roaming.

If roaming is used
Who is charged for the international part of voice calls going to your number or SMSs coming to your number in a foreign country?
Caller is charged for the local call/SMS like you were in the country.

On your side, typically you are not being charged for incoming SMS/MMS, only for what you send. This is the only nice things when roaming. But verify it with the charge sheet, as some roaming agreements allow such charges.

Charging for calls is different, as if you have diverts active (by example voicemail), you are being charged roaming fees twice. Once when someone deposit a voicemail and second time when retrieving voicemail. It is unfair, but it is a fact. There is a separate fees structure for incoming calls and outgoing calls. Refer your SP for details.

A typical practice to reduce roaming charges is to cancell all diverts (including voicemail) before leaving airport. Do it from USSD, typing a code ##002#, wait for confirmation message or series of messages. Now you can see a caller ID, you have a choice to pick it up or ignore (with no charges) and contact a person by using a VOIP, Whatsapp, Telegram, Viber or Skype.

Make sure to enable international roaming for voice and SMS. Avoid data roaming at all cost, you can do it on the phone menu.

Beware, USSD service codes do not work when roaming.

Last edited: