How do you know that there is such a thing as a soul?

sparklehorse

From this thread
skepticism, noun, the philosophical doctrine that the truth of all things must be questioned according to the best principles of science, logic, and philosophy. The result of this process of questioning is that each topic is given the degree of confidence that it deserves based upon the available evidence.
I would be turn atheist, if scientist ever discover the metaphysics of conscious(soul) I know that it exists but it's not been explained by science, until then I cannot believe that their is no afterlife(the ultimate paycheck most people are waiting for); my theory of the 'soul' is much like the theory of gravity; it's mechanisms are from another dimension but it is only noticed and does not function in ours.
How do you know that there is such a thing as a soul?
Encarta Dictionary:
soul [sōl]
(plural souls)
noun
1. nonphysical aspect of person: the complex of human attributes that manifests as consciousness, thought, feeling, and will, regarded as distinct from the physical body
The soul is a FACT as you can notice it; it is paranormal to modern science.
I don't see that the soul as distinct from the physical body is a fact. There is no evidence for that. It is true that science knows very little about the mind or a "soul", but I don't see how you can be so sure that there is something beyond the physical body if there is no evidence for it. I guess I should be more specific. How do you know that there is such a thing as a soul that is distinct from the physical body?

Mr TB

Banned
How do you know their is yolk and egg white inside and egg without cracking the shell? There are no evidence for that...especially if you are the chicken?

You superior to the chicken knows that, you cracked the shell...

texo

Expert Member
And a chicken has never cracked open an egg and eaten it?

noxibox

Honorary Master
A very thin needle might do to test the internals of an egg. There may also be imaging techniques that can see inside an egg.

So who can we crack open to check their yolk, err soul?

Mr TB

Banned
A very thin needle might do to test the internals of an egg. There may also be imaging techniques that can see inside an egg.

So who can we crack open to check their yolk, err soul?
You using techniques, it must be separate and destinct that is the requirement set in post one, i don't need to put my faith in men...

Everything you suggested is putting your faith in man... oh? and your question , your shell cracks when you die...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
/me is amused... an egg is being used in the explanation of a soul? Thats just too funny....

Personally, when we die, we cease to exists, our life ends and the electromagnetic and whatever other signals in our brain stop... therefore our "soul" no longer exists.

Mr TB

Banned
/me is amused... an egg is being used in the explanation of a soul? Thats just too funny....

Personally, when we die, we cease to exists, our life ends and the electromagnetic and whatever other signals in our brain stop... therefore our "soul" no longer exists.
EXACTLY

LoneGunman

Expert Member
re "/me is amused... an egg is being used in the explanation of a soul?"

actually, if you ever saw Angel Heart - 'eggs' getting eaten play a goodly part in the clues of the story, as the Devil chomps down on eggs (as symbols of souls)

that said - yup, no evidence anywhere for souls. You'd think of the billions of believers that die, just ONE could manage to pause and provide sufficient evidence of their existence, and the existence of a hereafter.. but NOPE..
No substantial evidence anywhere.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Ummm please.. learn the meaning of those two words.. they cannot be used to describe the same thing....

I will agree science and RELIGION have one thing in common and thats to describe the world around us, but science does it by providing evidence and reasons... religion just asks for faith...

You still haven't answered my question, cos my previous post was about there being NO afterlife, which u agreed to, so by a simple process of logic, you obviously don't believe in the afterlife.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
Of course there is no PROOF for a soul. So we don't know that there
are souls (if knowing is based on evidence). We believe that there are because we believe that God
revealed himself in the way as expressed in the New and Old Testaments.
I can't prove to you that there is a soul and I can't prove God to you.
I can't prove general relativity either but anyhow even if I could
prove God I'd still feel the same. Thanks for your question.

Last edited:

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
"Souls? There's no such things as soul's. Its just something moms use to scare their kids like Michael Jackson and the boogyman" Bart Simpson

kilo39

Executive Member
I don't see that the soul as distinct from the physical body is a fact. There is no evidence for that. It is true that science knows very little about the mind or a "soul", but I don't see how you can be so sure that there is something beyond the physical body if there is no evidence for it. I guess I should be more specific. How do you know that there is such a thing as a soul that is distinct from the physical body?
How do you know you have a physical body? You only have a physical body because everybody agrees to it: otherwise you are an electromagnetic wave of pure energy, quantum soup. Who knows the measure of reality, the existence of the soul? Certainly not us; but then how little we know in this year 2007.

Mr TB

Banned
No Answer?

Ummm please.. learn the meaning of those two words.. they cannot be used to describe the same thing....

I will agree science and RELIGION have one thing in common and thats to describe the world around us, but science does it by providing evidence and reasons... religion just asks for faith...

You still haven't answered my question, cos my previous post was about there being NO afterlife, which u agreed to, so by a simple process of logic, you obviously don't believe in the afterlife.
Really.. mmm... flesh- your body rots, yes i agree...
soul - what happens, you say that disintegrate...fair... but
spirit - YES. that's the one! you forgot about...in afterlife...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I didn't forget about it.....

As far as I am concerned, our "spirit" as you call it is purely a bunch of signals in our brain/body, and it ceases when we die as the currents in our brain cease to exist....

and how do you seperate soul and spirit?

Mr TB

Banned
I didn't forget about it.....

As far as I am concerned, our "spirit" as you call it is purely a bunch of signals in our brain/body, and it ceases when we die as the currents in our brain cease to exist....

and how do you seperate soul and spirit?
The shell of an egg being the vehicle carrying the egg-yolk and the egg-white?

Well in that way the body is the temporary vehicle of the soul and spirit,
When the body dies , the spirit leaves the body and the soul cease to exist.

It like two colours blue + yellow= green

green= soul
blue= the body
yellow= spirit

Separate the blue and the yellow through death and there are no soul...

Debbie

Banned
From this thread

Without the existence of soul (/consciousness (well, unconsciousness is prob more accurate)/spirit), life is reduced to a mechanical, pre-determined sequence of unescapable events.

A pre-destined fate of the world and of the individual becomes reality; and in such a reality there is no such thing as free will.

How can one reconcile the idea of free will with a reality in which the human existance/the human experience of life is reduced to a series of ultimately uncontrollable sets of causes and effects? Don't tell me that you 'still have control'- look at the nature of the implications of the mechanical reality you put forth.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Without the existence of soul (/consciousness (well, unconsciousness is prob more accurate)/spirit), life is reduced to a mechanical, pre-determined sequence of unescapable events.

A pre-destined fate of the world and of the individual becomes reality; and in such a reality there is no such thing as free will.

How can one reconcile the idea of free will with a reality in which the human existance/the human experience of life is reduced to a series of ultimately uncontrollable sets of causes and effects? Don't tell me that you 'still have control'- look at the nature of the implications of the mechanical reality you put forth.
Well thought out. I'm impressed.

You can't reconcile the two concepts. One has to be tossed. Free will is a paradox because god is required to grant us free will. If there is a god (with all that is implied by that concept) there can be no free will.

The truth sucks most of the time. ;)