How do you know that there is such a thing as a soul?

dotVIBE

Expert Member
Maybe you are confused, i did not say "TRUTH" is "EVIDENCE" or "EVIDENCE" is "TRUTH". I can speak the truth without providing evidence. The requirement by you of "EVIDENCE" is actually an insult because the requirement placed by you tells me you think i am a "LIAR".
Asking you for evidence is NOT calling you liar. How can I call you a liar? I hardly know you? The fact that I do not have a blind faith is pertinent to me, not to you. I will always be looking for truth and, unfortunately, I require evidence. Don't you think I wish I could have blind faith in having a soul, and believing that my being will go on living? I'd love to!
But for ME it's not that simple. Until I find an acceptable theory that convinces ME of the fact that we as humans have souls, I will go on looking.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
It seems often there are attempts to extrapolate the probability that governs things at the quantum level to things on the macro scale. It is true that various particle states each have a probability. But it is also true that some states are far more likely than others. It was, however, always emphasised to us that this did not apply to large objects consisting of many particles. For one thing the probabilities are summed so the more likely states eventually become nearly certain.
If two particles react on an almost instantaneous level on the quantum level, it should also work on the macro level.
The only difference, is that you have to introduce another quality, and that is one of time, the time it would take for each particle to affect the others in that object.
One particle , would have to "search" for the one to effect due to the density of the object, that one would have to "search" for the next etc, thereby reducing the instantaneous to a time frame, depending on the density of the object in question.

Mr TB

Banned
Asking you for evidence is NOT calling you liar. How can I call you a liar? I hardly know you? The fact that I do not have a blind faith is pertinent to me, not to you. I will always be looking for truth and, unfortunately, I require evidence. Don't you think I wish I could have blind faith in having a soul, and believing that my being will go on living? I'd love to!
But for ME it's not that simple. Until I find an acceptable theory that convinces ME of the fact that we as humans have souls, I will go on looking.
For most people it is not that simple. The evidence is available, THE BIBLE , i see you say oh no!, but have you really take a proper look at it?
The O/T being the shadow and the N/T the substance?
The symbolics of the tabernacle..., the tent covered with 4 colours why?, it refers to the 4 gospels... Why were the tentpens hit only halfway into the ground.? It refers to the fact that christ will be resurrected... and you can go on and on... This Book is not written by 40 men odd but by god himself...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
douwdouw : you need to understand that for alot of people the bible is NOT evidence, it is a story at best.. Evidence is something that can be seen and repeated by people, the bible is not something that would classify as evidence in any completely scientific study....

Tux

Software Communist
douwdouw : you need to understand that for alot of people the bible is NOT evidence, it is a story at best.. Evidence is something that can be seen and repeated by people, the bible is not something that would classify as evidence in any completely scientific study....
I personally think the bible should not be taken literally. Rather use it as a guide. Wheter you believe everything in it happened or not.

dotVIBE

Expert Member
I personally think the bible should not be taken literally. Rather use it as a guide. Wheter you believe everything in it happened or not.
That's how I always understood it. Not a scientific document, but a guide to life.

Mr TB

Banned
As you wish GRU, you only have to study the symbolics etc. in the story etc. to realise it is impossible to be a story...

Its like the guys tossing up their so called evidence for evolution and want me to accept their theories.

The bible is even more impossible if you start to really study it in detail, taking the symbolism, the numerics, the prophecies etc. into account...

The bible is one book compiled over about 1500 years?
Only fools discard it...

Tux

Software Communist
As you wish GRU, you only have to study the symbolics etc. in the story etc. to realise it is impossible to be a story...

Its like the guys tossing up their so called evidence for evolution and want me to accept their theories.

The bible is even more impossible if you start to really study it in detail, taking the symbolism, the numerics, the prophecies etc. into account...

The bible is one book compiled over about 1500 years?
Only fools discard it...
So because it is 1500 years old, you believe everything in a book compiled by men, yet you discard everything written by hindus or the egyptians, which is even older.
And like you they believed their religion came from their god/gods

I never said the bible was impossible. Some of the stuff in it has to be true. I just dont believe everything in it. It's a guidebook to me. Just as I use things from buddhism as a guide.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Please clarify that last statement of yours. Do you mean that that the inherent "probability state" of particles can equated to being the "soul" of the particle? Or is it that the likelihood of us as humans having souls is so high that it becomes near certain? Or what?:confused:
No, I am just saying that it is erroneous to extrapolate quantum behaviour to large objects. Large objects are made of many quantum particles and things are averaged out, i.e. although some particles may be in some unusual or unexpected state, overall the large object will be in a stable, predictable state. Don't know if this makes it any clearer.

I believe I got my probability statement wrong - I thing they're multiplied not added.

dotVIBE

Expert Member
gotcha,

no reference to whether there is such a thing as a soul, just some quantum theory.:D

sparklehorse

If two particles react on an almost instantaneous level on the quantum level, it should also work on the macro level.
The only difference, is that you have to introduce another quality, and that is one of time, the time it would take for each particle to affect the others in that object.
One particle , would have to "search" for the one to effect due to the density of the object, that one would have to "search" for the next etc, thereby reducing the instantaneous to a time frame, depending on the density of the object in question.
Not that I'm an expert on quantum physics, but from what I do know, you seem to know even less...
Anyway, this thread is dodo infested. Might as well close it :(

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Not that I'm an expert on quantum physics, but from what I do know, you seem to know even less...
Anyway, this thread is dodo infested. Might as well close it :(
I was possing a question along with a possibility, i dont know S*** about quantum physics, other than a few books and articles i have read, so was hoping to get a little more info, and possibily some clarity on your statement,
And unless it is relative to the posted thread thought process, i generally ignore the lesser life forms, and those of the species who babble and gurgle about psycotic illusions and dreams.;)

Neo

Expert Member
The symbolics of the tabernacle..., the tent covered with 4 colours why?, it refers to the 4 gospels... Why were the tentpens hit only halfway into the ground.? It refers to the fact that christ will be resurrected...
dodo, you're getting more absurd by the moment. Have you actually listened to yourself, half-driven tent-pens a sign of Jesus' resurrection?

Pray, do tell, how the hell did you come up with this? And the four colours = four gospels. Show me how you deduced the one from the other.

But of course you can't. You just don't realise that you repeat, verbatim, whatever was brainwashed into you.

Form your own thoughts, please. It's not that painful.

Last edited:

Iwojima

Expert Member
Hehe, that conjures up an image of douwdouw sitting in front of a psychologist who is administering the ink blot test (Rorschact Test...or something similarly spelt).

"An inky 4 colored blob! It must be something about the four gospels!!!"

Tentpens hit only hafway into the ground? Maybe some d o o s got lazy or the ground was hard.

Mr TB

Banned
Hehe, that conjures up an image of douwdouw sitting in front of a psychologist who is administering the ink blot test (Rorschact Test...or something similarly spelt).

"An inky 4 colored blob! It must be something about the four gospels!!!"

Tentpens hit only hafway into the ground? Maybe some d o o s got lazy or the ground was hard.
The tabernacle had 3 entrances called , the door, the truth and the life...
Christ said i am the door, i am the truth and i am the life, no one comes to the father but through me...

Sin closed mankind's spiritual eyes, mankind only sees life through natural eyes, once born again you start to see through your spititual eyes again...

Neo

Expert Member
The tabernacle had 3 entrances called , the door, the truth and the life...
Christ said i am the door, i am the truth and i am the life, no one comes to the father but through me...

Sin closed mankind's spiritual eyes, mankind only sees life through natural eyes, once born again you start to see through your spititual eyes again...
Thought we were talking about the half tent-pens? And the four colours?

What did Christ say about this?

Admit it, you're sucking this out of your thumb......

sparklehorse

TO SPARKLEHORSE, I was not necessarily referring to a paranormal ghost-like soul,
My definition of the 'SOUL'
the complex of human attributes that manifests as consciousness, thought, feeling, and will;
If the soul is physical(3D) or not physical(another dimension/realm) is currently Unknown to science, that which is keeping my from Atheism.
I am curious at the (what seems to me contradictory) statements you make. You say that you are not an atheist, so you believe in some sort of god. And it somehow ties in to your inability to explain the "soul".

If by soul you mean 'the complex of human attributes that manifests as consciousness, thought, feeling, and will', like above, there is nothing paranormal or metaphysical about it. There is still a lot that needs to be explored and science still has a long way to go in understanding the mind, but the basic principals are well understood and follows well known physical laws.

skepticism, noun, the philosophical doctrine that the truth of all things must be questioned according to the best principles of science, logic, and philosophy. The result of this process of questioning is that each topic is given the degree of confidence that it deserves based upon the available evidence.
I would be turn atheist, if scientist ever discover the metaphysics of conscious(soul) I know that it exists but it's not been explained by science, until then I cannot believe that their is no afterlife(the ultimate paycheck most people are waiting for); my theory of the 'soul' is much like the theory of gravity; it's mechanisms are from another dimension but it is only noticed and does not function in ours.
Yet you say there is something paranormal and/or metaphysical to the soul, which is why you believe in some sort of god. Why do you think that? By your own definition, I do not give it any degree of confidence, since there is no available evidence.