How do you know that there is such a thing as a soul?

sparklehorse

I was possing a question along with a possibility, i dont know S*** about quantum physics, other than a few books and articles i have read, so was hoping to get a little more info, and possibily some clarity on your statement,
And unless it is relative to the posted thread thought process, i generally ignore the lesser life forms, and those of the species who babble and gurgle about psycotic illusions and dreams.;)
Sorry, my post now seems a bit harsh, forgive me, I'm human ;)

But recently I see this a lot, especially with the new age crowd. Quantum physics is not even well understood by top scientists, and it is easily twisted to support any number of strange and misguided notions.

Please read this, it deals with Quantum Consciousness, Universal Life Force, Evidence of Mind etc. (dodo, this is how people properly debate)
Debates: The Great Afterlife: Michael Shermer v. Deepak Chopra

PS. A very fitting quote:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited:

sparklehorse

Dear sparklehorse, My argument is that the Soul may ultimately be paranormal, or on the contrary it may be natural and indistinct. I did say that it has not been explained by science, thus the soul may still be distinct and connected, it may also be indistinct.

My argument is that the soul may be distinct and connected or may be indistinct and natural, this is because, it's workings are still yet not understood through science thus the soul exists but how(direct or indirect) remains a mystery .
We're going around in circles. :eek:
What makes it a mystery? You still believe in some sort of afterlife or god, so there is an element of the supernatural to your belief in the soul. I want to know what you base this belief on. ;)

From http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/debates/afterlife.html:
...there is no paranormal or supernatural; there is only the normal and the natural… and mysteries yet to be explained.

sparklehorse

Do animals have souls?
Depends on how you define souls. If you mean in a godly/afterlife sense, probabably not. They have no need for religion. That is a human trait.

If you mean the complex of human attributes that manifests as consciousness, thought, feeling, and will, then certain animals do, to some extent.
It is interesting, that the animals that behave soulless, will also be the same animals that have relatively primitive brains (crocodiles/sharks/birds). But the animals that do appear more soulful, have more developed brains (dolphin/elephant/chimp).

noxibox

Honorary Master
If the soul is physical(3D) or not physical(another dimension/realm) is currently Unknown to science, that which is keeping my from Atheism.
The two have little to do with each other. If you're a theist then you believe in gods. If you're not a theist then you're an atheist. Neither has anything to with souls.

And we need to stick to a definition of what constitutes a soul. We can define consciousness arising as a natural result of the complexity of our brains as a soul we can define a separate non-physical entity as a soul. Not both

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
@ Sparlehorse, no worries :)
A very good book if you can lay your hands on it is "The Dancing Wu Li Masters" by Gary Zukav
The Words Wu Li, are the Mandarin Chinese for what we call physics, and tranlate to "Patterns of Organic Energy" , in my mind a far more apt description of physics, than what we westerners call it.

sparklehorse

Agreed, but a proper definition is difficult. As one of my friends put it: 'A dictionary or encyclopedia will give a definition for soul as it is commonly understood in the same way in which it will provide a description of, say, dragon, and for the same reason.'

By soul in this thread, I would mean in the religious sense. The soul that survives the physical body.

Mr TB

Banned
Thought we were talking about the half tent-pens? And the four colours?

What did Christ say about this?

Admit it, you're sucking this out of your thumb......
Sucking it out of my thumb, :) you really think so?, do you want me to stun you a bit more?.. This tabernacle carefully studied have shoulders, ribs, thighs and feet! Yes man is a shadow of what is to come...oh my... but now you think i am really crazy!!, No sir study the bible it is so wonderful!

Neo

Expert Member
Sucking it out of my thumb, :) you really think so?, do you want me to stun you a bit more?.. This tabernacle carefully studied have shoulders, ribs, thighs and feet! Yes man is a shadow of what is to come...oh my... but now you think i am really crazy!!, No sir study the bible it is so wonderful!
No, I just want you to substantiate a claim you made. So please show us, in the bible, where it says that the tent-pens indicate the coming of christ.

It's a simple question either you're telling the truth or you're LYING.

Which is it?