How do you know your diet is healthy?

BBSA

Honorary Master
Personal I check a few markers:

1. How do I feel, do I have enough energy, mental clarity and my general mood?
  2. Do I lose muscle mass?
  3. Do I have chronic inflammation in my body?This can be checked with a CRP blood test.
  4. My fasting insulin blood level.
  5. My vitamin D3 level.
  6. My B12 blood level.
  7. I also check my HDL and triglyceride blood levels.

Last edited:

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
No, it is a serious question. Just because conventional wisdom say it is bad, does not mean it is.
imo you should try be more clear, in the context it looks like you are trying to be a clown.

3WA

Executive Member
How do you know what is bad?
Well, eating pizza and ice cream every day is making me fat really quickly. These are not foods I can eat in moderation.

However, when I don’t eat sugar and breads, I'm much more able to control portions and remain a normal size.

As for the vegetables, I am actually very eager to reintroduce them so that I can remember what a bowel movement feels like.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
See my op, does that look like someone who try to be funny?
off the bat it seems a bit odd, like you are making a statement rather than a question with reasoning, but no I was referring more to the 2 posts, you clearly know more than the average person so it seems weird for the thread.

BBSA

Honorary Master
Well, eating pizza and ice cream every day is making me fat really quickly. These are not foods I can eat in moderation.

However, when I don’t eat sugar and breads, I'm much more able to control portions and remain a normal size.

As for the vegetables, I am actually very eager to reintroduce them so that I can remember what a bowel movement feels like.
I think if you want to eat more healthy, you should set goals and know how you going to measure them. Will bowel movement be your only measurement?

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
As long as I get plenty of Simba chips it's healthy enough :cool:

BBSA

Honorary Master
off the bat it seems a bit odd, like you are making a statement rather than a question with reasoning, but no I was referring more to the 2 posts, you clearly know more than the average person so it seems weird for the thread.
No you are wrong, but let get back to topic.

How do you comfim your diet is healthy or not?

3WA

Executive Member
I think if you want to eat more healthy, you should set goals and know how you going to measure them. Will bowel movement be your only measurement?
Oh, come on! Bowel movements aren’t even the only thing I mentioned in my post (weight gain being primary).

To answer your question more seriously, when I eat a ketogenic diet, I generally feel better, have more energy, and my bloodwork (LDL, HDL, etc.) all looks good, while I’m also able to maintain a healthy weight. My most concerning indicator is uric acid, which is a shade under the level for gout risk, so I watch that one carefully.

When I'm eating any other way, I generally slip in too much junk food to feel good. And also bowel movements are harder.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Personal I check at a few markers:

1. How do I feel, do I have enough energy, mental clarity and my general mood?
  2. Do I lose muscle mass?
  3. Do I have chronic inflammation in my body?This can be checked with a CRP blood test.
  4. My fasting insulin blood level.
  5. My vitamin D3 level.
  6. My B12 blood level.
  7. I also check my HDL and triglyceride blood levels.
This sounds a lot like conventional wisdom to me.

konfab

Honorary Master
Your change in weight is a pretty good indicator of dietary health (of course, that is dependant on the intention of the diet).

Beyond that, I think there are some good indicators that you have a healthy diet.
1) You can see measurable increases in your exercising efforts/ or you have hit some relatively high performance level and can keep at it (if you can regularly do a Parkrun in 20 minutes, you are probably doing something right)
2) You don't get sleepy during the day.
3) You can sleep easily at night.
4) Your bowls work regularly.

konfab

Honorary Master
Not really, most doctors will check fasting glucose levels and not insulin. Also doctors are obsessed with LDL.
Because there is pretty good evidence that having high levels of LDL are not good.

That being said, I think worrying about cholesterol if you are obese or overweight is stupid. Get somewhere close to your BMI weight level first, then you can start worrying about it.