How do you recharge your electricity when the power is already down?

Snyper564

Executive Member
This happens to my neighbour quite regularly. He sends the unit my side to plug in which wakes it up, then I hand it back to him so he can plug into his circuit, then he can enter the data. I've replaced the battery once before, doesn't seem to last long, less than 6 months.
I do this had to go to my neighbor twice to top up its soooo stupid, plug in to your closest neighbor

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I do this had to go to my neighbor twice to top up its soooo stupid, plug in to your closest neighbor
Device gave an error when plugged in my side, but battery lasts long enough to stay alive until he can plug back at his address.

upup

Executive Member
How? Touch the terminals and if the wax pops out of your ears it is live?
Common sense, which is now on pension. First see if the neighbor got power, does the street light work. Check your db board, or a main switch outside. Call an electrician or your local power provider.

a person I know prepaid sits in his house. When his prepaid run out, he realize his garage still have power.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
If you stay in flat that makes sense as you would still connect to the same unit on the edge of the property but going to work or asking a neighbor if you live in a house won't work but I cannot confirm that.

Thought about it. An inverter backup has to disconnect you from the main supply as you cannot have power feeding in from both Eskom and your inverter so if the inverter is running there may not be a connection to the unit on the edge of the property as you have to disconnect from the mains feed. Once again I stand to be corrected on this.
Correct. It is pathetic to see the junk that is deployed on the prepaid meter business in SA. That is what led us in my area to go as far as getting a court injunction to stop Tshwane rolling out their initial prepaid meters years ago.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
If you stay in flat that makes sense as you would still connect to the same unit on the edge of the property but going to work or asking a neighbor if you live in a house won't work but I cannot confirm that.

Thought about it. An inverter backup has to disconnect you from the main supply as you cannot have power feeding in from both Eskom and your inverter so if the inverter is running there may not be a connection to the unit on the edge of the property as you have to disconnect from the mains feed. Once again I stand to be corrected on this.
It will work depending on how far is your neighbour. Some of the units communicate with a meter in the street.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Device gave an error when plugged in my side, but battery lasts long enough to stay alive until he can plug back at his address.
All about the crappy wireless technology used to communicate between the main unit and the units in each home.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
All about the crappy wireless technology used to communicate between the main unit and the units in each home.
These are normal houses not estates. I have old spinning disk meter. Neighbour 1 house up went prepaid.

badtrev

I got prepaid electricity and the units are done. The power went off. I bought units. The recharging unit does not go on to input the units. I plugged it in at work. Does not take the units.
With the one i have, it has batteries in to turn it on. When the units run out completely, it needs to stay plugged in, then the token code needs to be entered twice and then it works, provided the batteries in the unit are fine.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
With the one i have, it has batteries in to turn it on. When the units run out completely, it needs to stay plugged in, then the token code needs to be entered twice and then it works, provided the batteries in the unit are fine.
So it needs to stay plugged in on the wall even if the wall plug does not have power?

badtrev

So it needs to stay plugged in on the wall even if the wall plug does not have power?
Yes, thats what i was told by the Eskom people the first time it happened. I t must be on the circuit at home, otherwise it wont work.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Yes, thats what i was told by the Eskom people the first time it happened. I t must be on the circuit at home, otherwise it wont work.
Interesting, wish I could be able to test this, I wonder what would it be picking up on the house wiring? If it does work it would mean the house wiring is used as some antenna of sorts... :unsure:

R13...

Honorary Master
Interesting, wish I could be able to test this, I wonder what would it be picking up on the house wiring? If it does work it would mean the house wiring is used as some antenna of sorts... :unsure:
I would think it communicates on your house wiring? Which is kinda why you can only query it when it is plugged into your wall socket. Not sure how but the unit in the street is wired into your home connection.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I would think it communicates on your house wiring? Which is kinda why you can only query it when it is plugged into your wall socket. Not sure how but the unit in the street is wired into your home connection.
All along I though it used radio waves. I am going to test it later and see, it would turn out to be one of the greatest mysteries I have ever solved if it does work.