How far have you pushed your uncapped RAIN SIM?

Andone

So i got my rain sim on Friday with the E5885 router and straight out the box it was great. Was pushing 50 Mbps down and getting all bars in my room. Next day though seems i couldn't get bars unless i looked around for a sweet spot and my speeds had dropped to 10Mpbs. Can anyone explain why this is? One day i have bars the next day its a struggle to get any at all. I initially thought it could be because i hit 100GB in my first 24 hours but then realized people here do a lot more than that so it couldn't be the issue. Or can all this be attributed to the fact that it was a weekend and a lot of people are on the network? And would this also affect the number of bars i get or just the speed i get?

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
So i got my rain sim on Friday with the E5885 router and straight out the box it was great. Was pushing 50 Mbps down and getting all bars in my room. Next day though seems i couldn't get bars unless i looked around for a sweet spot and my speeds had dropped to 10Mpbs. Can anyone explain why this is? One day i have bars the next day its a struggle to get any at all. I initially thought it could be because i hit 100GB in my first 24 hours but then realized people here do a lot more than that so it couldn't be the issue. Or can all this be attributed to the fact that it was a weekend and a lot of people are on the network? And would this also affect the number of bars i get or just the speed i get?

It's a limited shared resource. Few other other people connected to the tower also trying to abuse the service like you and Bobs's your uncle you'll get terrible speeds.

eg2505

Honorary Master
It's a limited shared resource. Few other other people connected to the tower also trying to abuse the service like you and Bobs's your uncle you'll get terrible speeds.
same with me, great speeds one day and then terrible speeds the next,
I suppose you get what you pay for,

some days its great and other days its not great.

shanezn186

That's why shaping and throttling exist in the first place. Because of you gluttonous digital fat pigs. Downloading stuff for the sake of downloading is not cool at all. Especially in SA of all places.

WebAfrica, OpenWeb and AfriHost are ruined cos of you clowns.

ngoni615

I do not have such issues and i moar them downloads 24/7 lol. But seriously could be congested network in your area.Where i stay most people are on fibre and do not even bother with rain. I believe it is just one or two people that use rain in my area and the other person is just using it for social media and hardly does downloads He also has fibre. So it just leaves me to download stuff hehe
https://www.speedtest.net/result/8417984802
this is my speed test while download windows 10. i average around 80 -90 megs download and around 30 uploads.
try changing router frequency

Andone

Thank you all for your responses. Okay so if the network is congested does that affect both my speed and number of bars or just my speed.
I do not have such issues and i moar them downloads 24/7 lol. But seriously could be congested network in your area.Where i stay most people are on fibre and do not even bother with rain. I believe it is just one or two people that use rain in my area and the other person is just using it for social media and hardly does downloads He also has fibre. So it just leaves me to download stuff hehe
https://www.speedtest.net/result/8417984802
this is my speed test while download windows 10. i average around 80 -90 megs download and around 30 uploads.
try changing router frequency
These are the speeds i was getting on my first day so which is why i was confused. How do i change the router frequency?

Sudo Panic

Our signal is so f**king poor at home I'm really starting to question if I should just cancel the service since rain doesn't seem interested in helping me remedy the situation.

Last edited:

Sudo Panic

On a lighter note I have a machine at my work that I connect to remotely that downloads all my "Linux distros" via Real Debrid. Bought the sim from a friend who didn't want it anymore. Pulling about 1.3/2TB but out of respect for everyone in the area I have it scheduled to start at 2am till 7am. This gives me the best possible speeds but also doesn't put strain on the tower when its needed.

Attachments

Sudo Panic

That's why shaping and throttling exist in the first place. Because of you gluttonous digital fat pigs. Downloading stuff for the sake of downloading is not cool at all. Especially in SA of all places.

Blaming users because ISP's cannot prioritize their users according to the amount of data consumed not our concern, my signal quality is poor at home so I download via a small PC and offload it to a hard drive once it completes.

Speedster

Executive Member

My first guess would be that you were connected on different bands on the two days

cavedog

Honorary Master
On a lighter note I have a machine at my work that I connect to remotely that downloads all my "Linux distros" via Real Debrid. Bought the sim from a friend who didn't want it anymore. Pulling about 1.3/2TB but out of respect for everyone in the area I have it scheduled to start at 2am till 7am. This gives me the best possible speeds but also doesn't put strain on the tower when its needed.
I like you. Downloading responsibly! :)

Some other people here run downloads 18 hours a day then complain when the speeds start to slow down but weren't complaining when they were hogging all the bandwidth.

shanezn186

I like you. Downloading responsibly! :)

Some other people here run downloads 18 hours a day then complain when the speeds start to slow down but weren't complaining when they were hogging all the bandwidth.
Victim mentality and SA people. Name a more iconic duo and I will wait.

Burn towns when you don't get what you want. Rant on myBB/Twitter when you don't get good services. Blah blah blah.

****ing SA people.

biometrics

Honorary Master

Burn towns when you don't get what you want. Rant on myBB/Twitter when you don't get good services. Blah blah blah.

****ing SA people.
What are you going on about?

cavedog

Honorary Master

****ing SA people.
For once Rain is offering something to people that is actually VERY decent. No fair use policy just unlimited data 18 hours a day for R250 or $18. I do not think other countries even offer this kind of deal and remember that EU countries does not suffer like SA. We are so far away so all traffic needs to go to EU and even if they peer locally those companies need to pay for transit to SA so it's way more expensive.

I have no peoblem with people pushing large downloads after hours hell I even do it on my fibre line. Just because I have a 200Mbps uncapped line does not mean I need to push 200Mbps 24/7. Sounds silly but bandwidth is a finite resource especially for us. Maybe if more cables land and prices drop more and spectrum gets released then it's a different story.

Dan C

Honorary Master

****ing SA people.
1563713108649.png

ngoni615

For once Rain is offering something to people that is actually VERY decent. No fair use policy just unlimited data 18 hours a day for R250 or $18. I do not think other countries even offer this kind of deal and remember that EU countries does not suffer like SA. We are so far away so all traffic needs to go to EU and even if they peer locally those companies need to pay for transit to SA so it's way more expensive.

I have no peoblem with people pushing large downloads after hours hell I even do it on my fibre line. Just because I have a 200Mbps uncapped line does not mean I need to push 200Mbps 24/7. Sounds silly but bandwidth is a finite resource especially for us. Maybe if more cables land and prices drop more and spectrum gets released then it's a different story.
You would be surprised that the vast majority of people on rain do not even push huge downloads. Only about 1 to 2 percent download over 1tbs every month and even then they are not always downloading because eventually you run out of stuff to download or space to download to. I used to do 2tb downloads every month for for 2 months but ran out of games and stuff to download. now i am averaging 200gb and up to 600gb if there are new games that month.

access

Executive Member

do you get upset if people pass you in traffic? speed up if you see an indicator etc... ?

Craig

Honorary Master
I use between 30 and 50GB a month. This month I've used just over 70 GB so far. Speeds are not always very good though. Weekends my speeds improves weirdly, but that's when I use it mostly anyway.