How hackers steal your information on Wi-Fi

mister

Executive Member
“Personally, my home network regularly changes ESSID, BSSID, and 64 character WPA2 key. It’s not perfect, and people get angry at a key that long, but it gets the job done.”
Can I use your wifi?
Actually on second thoughts never mind...

gfmalan

Expert Member
I would like to connect with my notebook to such a network, and challenge someone to tell me what they really can see, because I doubt if someone can see any thing.

Dan C

Honorary Master
I've never actually managed to connect to these wifi hotspots.. so I guess my banking details are safe
they won't get my master card details :

credit card : 8203028293939
expiry date : 07-09-2018
cvs : 678

maumau

Honorary Master
Doesn't avast offer wifi vpn? I've never used it but after this article .....?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I would like to connect with my notebook to such a network, and challenge someone to tell me what they really can see, because I doubt if someone can see any thing.
And you would be very very wrong.

If you are a reasonable user with unique passwords you have a chance. If you have the same password everywhere you are buggered.

It's not about how much they can see but rather what they can do with the little bit that they can see based on user ignorance about security.

If your passwords are all the same or very similar you need only grab that one password and spend an hour or so testing it against other services and soon your identity is gone.

gfmalan

Expert Member
And you would be very very wrong.

If you are a reasonable user with unique passwords you have a chance. If you have the same password everywhere you are buggered.

It's not about how much they can see but rather what they can do with the little bit that they can see based on user ignorance about security.

If your passwords are all the same or very similar you need only grab that one password and spend an hour or so testing it against other services and soon your identity is gone.
I would like to think that I protected my notebook and my comms properly. Everything leaving my notebook is encrypted, and all my network connections firewalled, all incomming traffic gets dropped.

In the same way I would like to get that encryption randsomware, to test if my setup is secure enough.

My passwords all have a structure, but none are the same, 12-17 characters capitals, special characters and numbers. I hope I'm okay on that front.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I would like to think that I protected my notebook and my comms properly. Everything leaving my notebook is encrypted, and all my network connections firewalled, all incomming traffic gets dropped.

In the same way I would like to get that encryption randsomware, to test if my setup is secure enough.

My passwords all have a structure, but none are the same, 12-17 characters capitals, special characters and numbers. I hope I'm okay on that front.
Then you obviously know enough that the article wasn't intended for or targeted at you.

Hackers rely on the lowest common denominator for their exploits and there are plenty of those in the general population.

pratlou

I've never actually managed to connect to these wifi hotspots.. so I guess my banking details are safe
they won't get my master card details :

credit card : 8203028293939
expiry date : 07-09-2018
cvs : 678

Repeating 3's and 2's explains themselves. Plus you have the same CVV as mine.

Last edited:

Sonic2k

Executive Member
VPN is the answer
That is like using a spanner to remove the screw on the back of your watch.
The article is aimed at those low-tech users who use every bit of free wi-fi they can get because they are cheapskates.