How has your company treated you during Covid?

SyncopicNexus

Disclaimer: I partly created this thread to brag about my company, but also curious

Since lockdown started I've seen companies retrenching (understandably), and staff having a real bad time.

My company has been amazing:
- Super chilled work from home policy
- Check-ins from top level management to see how everyone is doing (our CEO joins a call every day with the company to say hi)
- Have received 2 "care packages" already, this morning's one with a company hoodie and JBL bluetooth headphones
- Sent everyone a RCT 1000VA inverter to help with loadshedding

Really grateful to be where I am during this time.
LOL any vacancies at your company? :ROFL:

Shaun108

Executive Member
I treated everybody well. Full pay, work from home. SinghDude can attest.

Fusion_Assassin

Apart getting full salary best part was getting to go fetch my office chair which was a saving grace for my back.

djbrendan

Expert Member
Not great.
Dodged retrenchment, placed on TERS UIF only ( No work no pay ) Since April.
UIF being late with 2 months, so I had to use my savings which are depleted now.

Airports opened and we were asked to please start again. But on hourly rates only. So I'm getting 30% of my salary and HR is ignoring us now.

Got a letter stating we need to adhere to an hourly roster. Great times! My savings have depleted in August. This will be my first month I really don't have anything, rent and electricity will be the only thing I can afford to pay at the end of this month. :(

Being an IT engineer for 50+ computer systems and server rooms you'd think they'd want to keep you decently paid to stay alive to buy food and fuel to get to work.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Not great.
UIF being late with 2 months, so I had to use my savings which are depleted now.

Airports opened and we were asked to please start again. But on hourly rates only. So I'm getting 30% of my salary and HR is ignoring us now.

Got a letter stating we need to adhere to an hourly roster. Great times! My savings have depleted in August. This will be my first month I really don't have anything, rent and electricity will be the only thing I can afford to pay at the end of this month. :(

Being an IT engineer for 50+ computer systems and server rooms you'd think they'd want to keep you decently paid to stay alive to buy food and fuel to get to work.
Maybe start doing something on the side line?

Shaun108

Executive Member
Not great.

Like redviking said. Try and get a sideline source of income. Coke and heroin pay pretty well if you're willing to take risks.

maumau

Honorary Master
Company hasn't been too bad. First few months we all took 50% salary but sales have been good (stock running low now) and we've been on 70% July and August.

Set up nicely to WFH , bought all the remote workers a Teamviewer licence and provided us with printers (horrible, HUMUNGOUS ones - but still), set up GrandStream so we can all take calls and make free calls. Provided us with sanitizer in March but not since. No-body enters our building - couriers collecting have a special section in the store, office cleaner and staff are fetched every morning and dropped off every day in the company vehicle.

Not bad actually apart from the salary cuts :( and I don't blame them for that - we needed to keep the company afloat.

Our systems aren't perfect yet, we're used to talking across our desks about oddball incidents and often forget to share our interactions with customers with our colleagues.

Also SAGE ERP was set up for office work and WFH some of the settings should be changed. SAGE is a biatch with their reports too - I really, really, really, really, really love creating reports and their report writer is a paid for add on which the boss won't consider, he's a programmer and extracts any info he needs at the touch of a button. Battling along with Crystal Reports - I know nowt about programming so that's a huge mission for me, but that's how it goes. Don't understand Pivot Tables either :( will have to self-teach Crystal or Pivot.

Over all very happy WFH.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Treated really well.
Full salary, but losing out on lot's of commission due to well economy.

djbrendan

Expert Member
Maybe start doing something on the side line?
That was a plan, but there's not a cent to get diesel to drive around for sideline business.
Funny thing is, luxuries were the first thing to go in April, but living costs are insanely high.

Archer

Honorary Master
From the posts so far it sounds like things in SA are rough for some of you :( Best of luck to all of you. My experience is from across the pond in NL
The company came and delivered chairs, extra monitors, desks and monitor stands to whoever asked (from whatever was in the office). We all use laptops anyway so that part needed no effort
I recall getting a minor care package of some kind (I think it was a mug + chocolate?)
Flexible work hours, lots of understanding for those with kids
At the office sanitizer is everywhere. Masks also provided at the door (in the last month we must wear this in the prototype areas since we are in closer proximity). Some doors have 3D printed door handles that are easier to open with your elbow
HR has 3x check ins each week (done via a chat bot)
Work from home was meant to end 1 September, but seems like it'll just carry on indefinitely. Office max occupancy (self regulated) has gone from ±150 to about 30
No salary cuts but the travel allowance (19c per km for home/office commute) was cut, so now we have to fill in a register if we do go to the office to get this paid

beans100

Honorary Master
Up until the beginning of this month everyone worked from home, now it's give an argument to stay at home. Temperature measurement and sanitation stuff provided by company.
Salary wise, everyone got the usual increase, personally got promoted, company doing very, very well.
CEO is more involved than he used to be, not sure if that's good or bad yet.
It's basically been business as usual/maybe a bit more work than before as more clients are signing up (nice to see that some of the stuff we released instantly signed up major new clients within 24 hours of going live, got feedback from sales about it which was nice, major being multiple millions in revenue/month).
Seen this all over. All managers has Micro management shift up by 200%.
It also seems that managers with serious comorbidities isn't treated the same as normal staff. Normal staff gets send home.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Still have my job, but things are changing. My company is based in India, and things not looking good for locals.

TheSlinger

- Chilled work from home policy until further notice. Some crazy clients with weird hour requirements, but clients are often weird.
- Full salary, modest increase, and incentives.
- Managed to start a tiny side thing as well doing web design and hosting. Got a few small clients.
- Got to see my toddler grow up a lot more due to the flexibility, which is awesome.

And you know just generally thankful that I could stay employed, my wife is not so lucky. She was between jobs after the birth of our child and all the applications (short listed included) have only started resuming this month...

Sukkafool

Full salary for 1st month of lockdown, currently sitting on a 40% salary cut with a firm no work no pay policy in place. I dodged retrenchment too, they let about 30 people go so while im happy to be employed the fact that im 40% down on my salary is not making me a happy chap. That being said in my industry with the sheer amount of retrenchments that have happened across multiple companies I consider myself lucky to be bringing in an income still.

DWPTA

Expert Member
Working from and getting full salary, company policy now for H/O for the next 5 years. And company has been expanding and employing people.

I in fact get more done from home as when I was in the offices.

Cius

Executive Member
Company has been amazing. A lot of us are working from home till after December probably. Some are in office but they spread those out over big areas and are very strict on protocols etc. I think 5 of our staff have passed away from Covid so far (its a huge organisation though) and I suspect most where working from home and got it from shops etc. If you did not have internet they provided it as well as laptops. 100% pay but raises and bonus's where pre-lockdown. Not expecting anything on that front come next March when it is announced. Still, can't complain. I work 1 long hour week every third week when I am on standby but they don't mind me running the occasional personal errand to make up for that time if I really need to.

The little home office I have has been amazing, but come summer it gets uncomfortably hot in this spot so not looking forwards to that. Might need to figure something out on that front.

Oh, and work allowed us to buy second hand office chairs for like R400. What a difference that makes! Was first come first serve and not all got but I managed to so been loving that.

Good luck to those on short pay and those retrenched. Hope you can get back to normal soon. I feel guilty honestly with how lucky we have been.

djbrendan

Expert Member
Full salary for 1st month of lockdown, currently sitting on a 40% salary cut with a firm no work no pay policy in place. I dodged retrenchment too, they let about 30 people go so while im happy to be employed the fact that im 40% down on my salary is not making me a happy chap. That being said in my industry with the sheer amount of retrenchments that have happened across multiple companies I consider myself lucky to be bringing in an income still.
Damn, i'd wish for 40% cut. We're cut by 70%.

What p**ses me off is that we're operating at 65% of normal operation, but we get nailed. While a little birdy told me that the head office staff are still getting full salaries right through all of this. Cutting us down to fill their pockets