How has your company treated you during Covid?

djbrendan

Expert Member
No increases which were due in April, got it in September with no backpay. Been to the office once since lockdown, screening, and hand sanitisers were provided.
Back-pay? Increase? We straight up got a letter that this would not be given.

To please see this as a temporary knock, that we'll see our full pay 'Hopefully soon"

Keeping us in short time helps them to not give bonuses or increases or back pay :(
We're getting so knocked it's not funny. Scary stuff, don't know who would employ someone like me in the area. By me i mean, earning higher than the normal rate.
1. Average pay in George is R7000-R14000

They get the biggest shock when i tell them my current salary, a company once said they'd never be able to match that or offer more.

Last edited:

powermzii

Expert Member
Continuing to WFH until next yr - both home company and client. Client is going through retrenchments though so delivery is likely to be impacted

Confirmed that no increases (was due an increase this month) and bonuses at least until Feb next year

Been a tough year but Wife getting work has helped the last 2 months and at this very moment am very grateful to have a job @ a company that is well run that we didn't need to have job or salary cuts across the board.

gottagoon

Executive Member
Back-pay? Increase? We straight up got a letter that this would not be given.

To please see this as a temporary knock, that we'll see our full pay 'Hopefully soon"

Keeping us in short time helps them to not give bonuses or increases or back pay :(
We're getting so knocked it's not funny. Scary stuff, don't know who would employ someone like me in the area. By me i mean, earning higher than the normal rate.
1. Average pay in George is R7000-R14000

They get the biggest shock when i tell them my current salary, a company once said they'd never be able to match that or offer more.
I know how you feel bro. Sedgefield/George best place to work.
We lived in Sedgefield early 1990
My ex wife and I and a parrot. Sam was the parrot.

Small house. No kids.
Van Rensbergs butchery :love:. Saturday morning. Drive from Sedgefield to George..... marinated steaks...gotta get there before they close 1 PM. Worth the trip.

The memories of excellence. Yip

And now?

djbrendan

Expert Member
I know how you feel bro. Sedgefield/George best place to work.
We lived in Sedgefield early 1990
My ex wife and I and a parrot. Sam was the parrot.

Small house. No kids.
Van Rensbergs butchery :love:. Saturday morning. Drive from Sedgefield to George..... marinated steaks...gotta get there before they close 1 PM. Worth the trip.

The memories of excellence. Yip

And now?
Still amazing

Van Rensburgs still top butcher in the Garden Route! That's why it's sad to earn almost nothing and not enjoy the spoils of the area.

Never thought the company i work for could be this low.

Priapus

Executive Member
Been working from home since March. Company has been fantastic to me. Had a bonus and a pay rise in July and just recently got a promotion.

djbrendan

Expert Member
Been working from home since March. Company has been fantastic to me. Had a bonus and a pay rise in July and just recently got a promotion.
Lucky baastid :D
I'm scrambling to find remote IT work at a great company. Or local ofcourse, but they want to give you R15k +-

Mrcricket

Expert Member
My duties have increased. A guy resigned and I had to takeover his duties. I'm just using it as a learning experience because it is allowing me to gain more experience.

It looks like I may work permanently from home now. The company seems to have realized that it saves them on operational costs and they are getting a similar output from me as compared to if I had to come into the office.

I had around a 30% deduction. I have been getting UIF payments for the balance but it has been irregular.

Overall, the treatment has neither been good nor bad. Many have had it better and many worse.

smiley-zn

My duties have increased. A guy resigned and I had to takeover his duties. I'm just using it as a learning experience because it is allowing me to gain more experience.

It looks like I may work permanently from home now. The company seems to have realized that it saves them on operational costs and they are getting a similar output from me as compared to if I had to come into the office.

I had around a 30% deduction. I have been getting UIF payments for the balance but it has been irregular.

Overall, the treatment has neither been good nor bad. Many have had it better and many worse.
Can you claim from UIF if your number of working days is reduced by 20% and your salary is reduced by 20%?

Mrcricket

Expert Member
Can you claim from UIF if your number of working days is reduced by 20% and your salary is reduced by 20%?

Not sure how it works exactly, but in my case, the company filed on behalf of all employees.

r4nd0m

So I'm a senior developer and just got hired by a new company. Added 200k to my CTC, not including guaranteed personal and company bonuses.

Current company was good and team was awesome, but like most they were starting to lean towards people coming back in on the regular and increasing the amount of micromanagement. Even the CEO stepped in to lecture us on how we need to get back to 'business as usual'. Salary cut of 10% happened in June while still asking people to output more.

New company is fully WFH. They leave pension and medical up to you and increase your salary to cover this. This is exactly the model I want because I don't believe in the SA pensions system right now (for obvious reasons).

There's still opportunities out there for developers. Even had people wanting to promote me to managerial roles as a new position (yuck).

I even had some successful attempts at finding jobs abroad via LinkedIn and stack, but most want you to move over there once the covid dust settles.

Advice: Make sure you're in the high percentile of learned individuals and can demonstrate such. Test and interview well and always negotiate. I have no degree btw, just able to show what I know. GL HF.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Ok, to be fair. Sent my manager a text on 13 March that I didn't feel safe travelling into the office because I've got a heart condition, and have been WFH since.

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
Same here. Been working from home since March. Had an increase earlier this year and again in September. Hoping we keep the WFH as this saves me a lot of money on fuel and wear and tear on my car.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Same here. Been working from home since March. Had an increase earlier this year and again in September. Hoping we keep the WFH as this saves me a lot of money on fuel and wear and tear on my car.
Jeez, lucky! We only got our bonuses because they were tied to FY20, otherwise they would've been scrapped. No increase, and we had a large number of people being furloughed and about 170 were made redundant.

djbrendan

Expert Member
Well, 2021 seems to be off to a good start.
Got an email and quick call from a well-known company ( Can't mention it right now ), offering me a position, a step up from my current role as well. Sounds like a 70% increase to my current salary..

Work from home, pension, medical etc. Things I don't get at the moment. He'll be phoning me later to finalize our earlier call.

What feels weird is the fact that he sounds like he already knows a bit about me. Well fingers crossed :unsure: