How has your experience with MTN been?

---

Personally... Great, prices are good but im mainly really satisfied with internet speeds
Thumbs up to them. Screenshot_20180805-123651.jpeg

Fro

I've never experienced any problems with them. I buy my data through Afrihost which is competitively priced, but I might switch over to Telkom if their speeds are acceptable in my small town (I haven't tested it yet). I have to say that Telkom's contracts offer better bang for your buck in my opinion.

Telkom and MTN's speeds were equally good from my house in Port Elizabeth, so I assume most networks have good speeds in cities.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'm very happy with MTN. Great coverage and no particular network issues. Extremely convenient being able to use Afrihost data by simply selecting a different APN. Best of both worlds imo.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Happy with MTN on the dumb phone. I usually recharge once a year it stays valid, no constant bullying for recharge like Cell C does. And it is 1c per second tariff plan (not available anymore).

Unfortunately, for good data deals I have to look elsewhere.

qscwbt

Expert Member
Are you okes paid to say nice things about MTN.
Been with emtyN for 22 years. I am jumping ship.

marioat1

Are you okes paid to say nice things about MTN.
Been with emtyN for 22 years. I am jumping ship.
I jumped from Vodascum to Telkom, then to MTN on black Friday 2016, not paid for giving positive feedback, I give negative feedback where it's due too

Venomous

Honorary Master
I've never experienced any problems with them. I buy my data through Afrihost which is competitively priced, but I might switch over to Telkom if their speeds are acceptable in my small town (I haven't tested it yet). I have to say that Telkom's contracts offer better bang for your buck in my opinion.

Telkom and MTN's speeds were equally good from my house in Port Elizabeth, so I assume most networks have good speeds in cities.
Check the telkom FUP and other terms before signing.

Fro

Check the telkom FUP and other terms before signing.
I meant that their phone contracts offer better bang for your buck. I'm planning on buying their prepaid data bundles. 20GB + 20GB for R349 is much better than what I'm currently paying at Afrihost.

Tim_vb

Personally I find MTN have the best blend of network quality and price in SA. I'm on the 50GB special and once that runs out I'll go to prepaid and use their 30GB for 180 days bundle. VC doesn't offer any comparable long term bundles and you get screwed when you big bundle isn't used before it expires in 30 days. TM and CellC have horrible reception issues that destroy battery life, particularly on iPhones

sKuZz

I left them in 2016 after 10 years with them. Asked for them to give me a good upgrade on my existing contract or at least match what my current service provider was offering and they didn't. So I moved. A month later they offer the Black Friday 50gb deals. Great.

Sparro

Just a general comment on MTN yes the sometimes mess up and my account is late
But other than that excellent. In my area no landlines yet a blessing actually, nevertheless their data coverage (MTN) is excellent always runs LTE on mobile and nobody pays me for comments as Telkom knows. been with MTN 24yrs
btw I run a Telkom 50 50 LTE package accounts are a nightmare but reception is excellent

ebendl

Expert Member
I've had no billing issues with them over the last three years. Initially joined (coming from CellC) because their iPhone specials were the best. My wife got the Black Friday special and she sometimes forget to get back onto Wifi -- it just works. Coverage is much better than CellC and Telkom and the network is pretty reliable (haven't used Vodacom in years -- too expensive). LTE is fast. Honestly, I can't really fault them.

About the biggest complaint I can give is that my contract expired January and they've been pestering me about once a month to upgrade.

Actually visiting this forum because I just got a pretty good deal just now via email:

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 22.01.51.png

I don't like being stuck in 24 month contracts, but honestly at R99 I can probably stomach it. Going to cost less than current contract (out of contract My MTN 100 mins + 500MB data) + Afrihost 2GB / month). My iPhone 6s is still going fairly strong and if need be I can always take out another contract (with 0 mins/little data) to get a new phone. 10GB a month sounds great...

Nithan15

Expert Member
used to be with MTN for 13 years, my monthly bill was about +/-R1 500 per month moved over to Telkom in 2014 haven't changed my usage pattern and have not paid more than R600 per month. No issues with signal on Telkom in the past 4 years.

GAD

Their LTE-enabled tower is 278m away from home, so you can imagine
Now what is the benefits of being closer to a tower. Better reception and higher data bandwith? A new tower was build 100 meters from my house and they are digging up all the pavements.

Apparently installing fibre lines to the tower.

So what benefits will this have for me?
LTE speeds and who do I contact for more info?

Voldemort

Death eater
Now what is the benefits of being closer to a tower. Better reception and higher data bandwith? A new tower was build 100 meters from my house and they are digging up all the pavements.

Apparently installing fibre lines to the tower.

So what benefits will this have for me?
LTE speeds and who do I contact for more info?
A fibre line will provide more capacity and speed to the site, much better than a microwave, which area are you referring to?