How Huawei’s AppGallery could take on Google Mobile Services

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
What about the chinese spying/data harvesters?

e.g. who would just trust deepin...

Totempole

Expert Member
Given that I use Google Pay (Carrier Billing) which allows me to purchase Apps with my airtime, I don't see how Huawei's Appgallery would work for me personally.

obsidian86

How many users does google mobile services have

500 million ?
A billion ?
2 billion ?

There are global religions with less followers than google mobile services

And Huawei is gonna poke a hole in it with its own app gallery

Let me put my money on Huawei on this because I haven't lost enough yet

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'm pretty sure 99% of people will be gutted if they discover they don't have Google stuff on their new Huawei phone, were they to only find out after purchasing it.

YouTube, Google Maps, Gmail, the Play Store (with potentially years of purchases), cheaper subscriptions for cross-platform services (eg. Evernote), Google Drive, Google Photos, Play Music, YouTube Music, a trusted payment platform etc. are important to most Android users. An Android phone without Google is pretty crap for the typical user.

And if you were to switch that up or feel that Google can't be trusted, I feel like Huawei isn't the company such folks have in mind as an alternative.

It will be interesting if we ever get accurate sales figures for Huawei after a year, because losing GMS looks like a disaster for them.

I just hope that ICASA does not approve these devices. Surely google services is very imported for most individuals.
I don't see why the devices shouldn't be allowed to sell here. Personal preferences over operating systems and app ecosystems aren't ICASA's job.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
How many users does google mobile services have

500 million ?
A billion ?
2 billion ?

There are global religions with less followers than google mobile services

And Huawei is gonna poke a hole in it with its own app gallery

Let me put my money on Huawei on this because I haven't lost enough yet
Lol Huawei has 570 million users already.
https://www.huaweicentral.com/hms-core/

According to the data shown by Huawei, HMS together with Huawei third-party applications and services forms an HMS Ecosystem for 570 million Huawei users

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
I'm pretty sure 99% of people will be gutted if they discover they don't have Google stuff on their new Huawei phone, were they to only find out after purchasing it.

YouTube, Google Maps, Gmail, the Play Store (with potentially years of purchases), cheaper subscriptions for cross-platform services (eg. Evernote), Google Drive, Google Photos, Play Music, YouTube Music, a trusted payment platform etc. are important
There's no way that I'm going to migrate to yet "another solution".

chomp

Here's a new shiny phone.... Oh btw, it doesn;t have whatsapp, facebook or instagram.

kk goodluck with that.

chomp

Go to the app gallery right now and send me a screenshot with those three....i'll wait..

Dolby

Honorary Master
Go to the app gallery right now and send me a screenshot with those three....i'll wait..
You know there are other stores, right ?
Not just Google Play?

I have Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp ...

BetaProject

Here's a new shiny phone.... Oh btw, it doesn;t have whatsapp, facebook or instagram.

kk goodluck with that.
Why on earth do you think those would not work? Did you read the article? The new phones will still run Android, all the top apps will still run as normal. They will just be downloaded from Huawei's App Store, instead of Google's.