How is Cell C these days?

whatwhat

Executive Member
There is a network issues pinned thread, but isn't that active anymore.

A few years ago I was on Cell C, both prepaid and contract and it was horrible. Full signal but no data or phone calls would work (circa 2013/2014)

However as I am spending more time in foreign countries I need wifi calling for my SA number. At the moment MTN doesn't offer it, and Vodacom wifi calling doesn't work on IOS outside of SA.

So Cell C is my only option at the moment, but I don't want to port and find out the number is just as useless as it was a few years ago.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Just to add, I don't want to sign up for a contract as I won't be in SA to go argue with people over rogue debit orders. So have to be prepaid.

Sayf777

It's been much better in recent times. If you don't need lot minutes to use, Wi-Fi calling comes off normal airtime at local rates as long as you calling home to a S.A. phone (from overseas). If you need lot in that month you can always purchase a R199 Wi-Fi calling bundle (FUP).

rpm

Admin
Staff member
It really depends where you are. In some areas Cell C rocks, while they struggle in other areas.

Roaming on Vodacom is still only 3G, so keep that in mind if you travel a lot.

The_Librarian

SmoothOokerMaximus
We have issues with CellC in our area (Mnandi). When the power goes (blackout), the signal goes away, and we cannot get this resolved.

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Hi Guys

Our Network Team is ready and equipped to assist with all network related matters. Please PM us your address, the affected number and contact details for the matter to be escalated accordingly.

^MM

Sayf777

Hi Guys

Our Network Team is ready and equipped to assist with all network related matters. Please PM us your address, the affected number and contact details for the matter to be escalated accordingly.

^MM
Hey MM

It's 9pm. Take a break

sajunky

Honorary Master
Tralala.... :)

Cell_C didn't read the OP.

Why you don't try on prepaid SIM? You can port later. Cell C is much better now comparing to few years ago. I was using GiGa packages for the last few years. Currently using Telkom (lot of data) and Cell C 1GB p/m. Telkom is very congested during evenings, Cell C is far more stable.

I stay in the same area as The_Librarian, but I can't comment about Cell C towers going off during power cuts as when power goes off my router is losing power too. We have regular power cuts in the area. I noticed on my phone that Telkom 3G goes down if power is off for more than half an hour, but GSM voice is still working.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Switched from Vodacom to FNB Connect (CellC) in February and I couldn't be happier.

Vodacom still sends me a 0 bill every month...

I was on CellC 10+ years ago and left after one contract term due to endless customer support issues and even more when trying to kill the contract.

Not sure if that has changed but then technically I'm dealing with FNB Connect now which is slightly different. Not sure how that works internally but the service was great when I did need it.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Switched from Vodacom to FNB Connect (CellC) in February and I couldn't be happier.

Vodacom still sends me a 0 bill every month...

I was on CellC 10+ years ago and left after one contract term due to endless customer support issues and even more when trying to kill the contract.

Not sure if that has changed but then technically I'm dealing with FNB Connect now which is slightly different. Not sure how that works internally but the service was great when I did need it.
Since FNB Connect is on Cell C does it offer wifi calling?

whatwhat

Executive Member
Why you don't try on prepaid SIM? You can port later. Cell C is much better now comparing to few years ago.
I'll be moving to Asia for 2-3 months as of Sunday, so I need to port to a provider by tomorrow and hopefully make the right choice.

sajunky

Honorary Master
I'll be moving to Asia for 2-3 months as of Sunday, so I need to port to a provider by tomorrow and hopefully make the right choice.
So get it now. You can port back after 3 months when you come back and you are not happy from local towers. Your overseas WiFi calls are not affected by local towers (only valid when you communicate with Cell C users, the same as you would use Vodacom SIM). From the network perspective Cell C works very well.

Make sure that porting is done and WiFi calling is enabled on your SIM by testing. It is not done by default. On the prepaid SIM you won't be able to enable international roaming, but it is even better to not do so.

Sayf777

So get it now. You can port back after 3 months when you come back and you are not happy from local towers. Your overseas WiFi calls are not affected by local towers (only valid when you communicate with Cell C users, the same as you would use Vodacom SIM). From the network perspective Cell C works very well.

Make sure that porting is done and WiFi calling is enabled on your SIM by testing. It is not done by default. On the prepaid SIM you won't be able to enable international roaming, but it is even better to not do so.
Yes no international roaming for prepaid or top up (only open line/contract so no sms or receival of calls unless on Wi-Fi.

Hummercellc

Expert Member
I have been on cell c since day one, thier network did go through a bad patch and I was very close to leaving, but as of late it has been perfectly fine, no issues here.