How is Lightspeed / Cybersmart able to offer these packages

Anthro

Expert Member
I recently signed up (awaiting still) for my connection through Lightspeed / Cybersmart

They have wired up our complex for fibre and plan to offer R599 for 200^/200v with 200GB Daytime and 1000GB Nighttime

I signed up for the R899 200^/200v UNCAPPED package they offer to buildings on their Lightspeed setups (OpenServe)
Surely there must be a catch there somewhere (if compared with other providers) - how the hell are they doing this

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
They bought a huge pipe from their upstream breakout provider and are trying to get enough users on the link to justify the capacity?

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I recently signed up (awaiting still) for my connection through Lightspeed / Cybersmart

They have wired up our complex for fibre and plan to offer R599 for 200^/200v with 200GB Daytime and 1000GB Nighttime

I signed up for the R899 200^/200v UNCAPPED package they offer to buildings on their Lightspeed setups (OpenServe)
Surely there must be a catch there somewhere (if compared with other providers) - how the hell are they doing this

I signed up for the 200gig/1Tera and we chatted to Laurie.
Firstly, there is contention on that line. So you are able to get those speeds constantly IF no one else is using the service, secondly very few places will be able to send you data at that speed. Its only really lab conditions that will see you maintaining that speed all he time.

I'm not sure how the uncapped works but I know that Laurie hates doing uncapped because its not something that can be done reliably and cheaply. I think its OpenServe that is offering that because Cybersmart (Lightspeed) would rather not do shaping etc that would allow for uncapped.

Anthro

Expert Member
Thanks for the heads-up Nerf, so iow I am going to be pulling my hair out since this is one of 4 apartments blocks they wired up for usage.. and people are obviously going to be using the service.
I think they are sole provider I will be able to use on the line aswell (have not read lately how they handle other data providers on their lines)

That said, how has yours been behaving (real world)

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Thanks for the heads-up Nerf, so iow I am going to be pulling my hair out since this is one of 4 apartments blocks they wired up for usage.. and people are obviously going to be using the service.
I think they are sole provider I will be able to use on the line aswell (have not read lately how they handle other data providers on their lines)

That said, how has yours been behaving (real world)

Its been frustrating because the council stalled the trenching process. Hopefully they start next month. Been a two year process and mostly nothing Lightspeed can do about it.
They did offer us the option to use other ISP's on the line in which case you can either pay off the 3k installation up front or over 24 months. There after you "own" the line.
Its odd you only have one ISP option.

Anthro

Expert Member
Its been frustrating because the council stalled the trenching process. Hopefully they start next month. Been a two year process and mostly nothing Lightspeed can do about it.
They did offer us the option to use other ISP's on the line in which case you can either pay off the 3k installation up front or over 24 months. There after you "own" the line.
Its odd you only have one ISP option.

Sounds like you stay in my complex, almost 0.o
Marlbourough Park ?!
I was promised before month end I will have a line in my flat though - other blocks being held up by trenching

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Sounds like you stay in my complex, almost 0.o
Marlbourough Park ?!
I was promised before month end I will have a line in my flat though - other blocks being held up by trenching

We are doing two suburbs so pretty much anything will hold us up: Rosebank/Mowbray

saturnz

Honorary Master
no catch

they basically took my model, which I implemented in my building, and monetised it... and it works

some owners in my building who have the lightspeed product in units they own in other buildings actually complain the R900 is too much

Last edited:

saturnz

Honorary Master
Do tell us more. Unless you have some NDA in and around your mouth

I've been telling people on this forum for atleast two years.

Basically share the cost of a bulk connection, and then its distributed amongst the various units, its really that simple.

So we have currently 60 owners paying R400pm for a connection that costs us R10 000pm, the surplus is used to finance the ICT in the building and the initial cost of distribution.

But it requires co-operation, something most people are unwilling to try and engineer.

I'm trying to replicate it in suburbs as well, but its a little trickier.

Last edited:

Anthro

Expert Member
In my case all owners forked out +/- 4k for install (all flats have a fibre connection incoming) then the tennants pay for the data / etc