How is Neotel still in business?

quik

Expert Member
I think the big distinction we need to make is that Neotel is basically split into two entities at this stage, namely Neotel Consumer services and Neotel Enterprise services.

I'd recommend sticking with their enterprise services which include Fibre, Microwave (licensed high frequency) and WiMax. We have quite a few clients on these services and it works great with decent support. You pay a bit more but the services are contended much lower and they don't oversubscribe. Plus the person on the other side of a support call knows what IP stands for :p

quik

Expert Member
yeah well..

gues what.

ok im NOT gonna lie.

THIS IS TRUE but still i am fumbled and confused.

i went to OC LAN [december 2012]

and

Gordon Freeman discovered there was internet.

;D

all thanks to hamachi and using a Automatically assigned IP address

but when i used his IP

i went to whatismyip.com

and i found " 41.164.7.165 "

AND HERES THE PUNCHLINE

thats my public ip for snowball wireless uncapped

NEOTEL " Do YOU Even rift "

three wongs dont make a wight

IMPOSSIBRU

CAN SUM1 PLZ explain to me

how is cape connect any better at port forwarding 27015 with UBIQUITI AirOS 5.5.2 and mikrotik OS 5.2.0

i SO DESPERATELY WANT to setup a 24/7 HLDS CS:CZero ;*(
How high were you when you wrote this drivel?... Might want to read your messages before you post :p

jbopre

Wow, you guys have just about dissuaded me from getting Neotel service at home... When I called their sales center, the guy on the phone seemed really competent, however I've learned not to judge a company solely by their salespeople.

Telkom doesn't cover my area (and they say they won't, this year).

Some people on here do seem to be getting good mileage out of their Neotel connection, are any of you guys on one of their residential products? How can I find out what the speeds in my area will be like before forking over a lot of money?

Their prepaid does seem to be a good deal - R1699 once-off includes 36 GB valid for 13 months. New bandwidth costs R499 per 24 GB, again valid for 13 months. The salesman promised me upload speed ~1.3 Mbps, download ~1.8Mbps. If all those numbers hold and the service is stable, then it seems like a good deal.

I guess the best way is to go sit at my house with a Neotel device and a laptop, and see what it really is like... Anyone near Langeberg Ridge, Cape Town want to volunteer to help me out?

Saajid

Expert Member
@jbopre - you're better off trying the mobile operators, if they cover your area. I believe there are prepaid deals offering similar prices and value. If it doesn't workout, a prepaid cellular deal has better resale value than a Neotel prepaid deal.

I know Cell C have a 100GB account valid for 12months, for R2499. There are cheaper options available as well. You should look into these as well. You could also pop the SIM card into a 3G router, which is freely available for cheap.

Stay away from the Neotel crap, unless you have no other choice. And don't give them you banking or credit card details, ever.

znubair

I have used the Neotel Data stick (R799 for 24GB) for the last year and it worked brilliantly for me. Just purchased the Mifi 36GB
device and works perfectly

cobie_od

Neotel is horrendous. They are not answering to my mails, we asked a manager to phone, so he phoned on my partners cell phone whom directed them to me on the office phone, but Friday 15h is apparently not working hours anymore - still waiting for that call. The service desk on Sundays only works till 14h and the service is non existing for the umpteenth time this week. On my many mails enquiring on the cost of getting out of the 2 year contract, they are not even bothering to answer. I deal with atlantic :) , telkom :) , axxess :) and neotel :-((. So wish somebody had forwarned me. Pathetic!!!

Their CDMA network is broken AGAIN, being third time in just over 2 months.
Since Friday I have not even been able to download my email or open a full webpage without it hanging.
I have made two calls to their support desk for assistance and they deny there is an issue on their side as usual. Nobody has called me back, despite the promises to do so.

Their first line of defence when customers complain is to deny knowledge of any network issues, then when pressure mounts and the press beginning asking questions they announce on their social media channels that they are attending to the problems.

Over the last two months they have made so many lame excuses for their network failures. First they said is was caused by hackers, then they said it was data hogs using up all the bandwidth, then they said it was malware, then they said it was equipment failure, etc etc etc. The excuses continue to become more creative, and never end.

The fact is they don’t appear to know what’s causing their regular and protracted CDMA outages, and nobody at Neotel seems to care either. It takes them weeks or days to fix the issues.

In their rush to chase big corporate and government contracts with fibre deals, they have completely turned their backs on the home and small business sector which carried them for years.

They are not a fixed line telekoms contender.
They are a non-contender!

Today's Neotel speedtest result.

Clip_2.jpg

Last edited:

nightshade21099

Their CDMA network is broken AGAIN, being third time in just over 2 months.
Since Friday I have not even been able to download my email or open a full webpage without it hanging.
I have made two calls to their support desk for assistance and they deny there is an issue on their side as usual. Nobody has called me back, despite the promises to do so.

Their first line of defence when customers complain is to deny knowledge of any network issues, then when pressure mounts and the press beginning asking questions they announce on their social media channels that they are attending to the problems.

Over the last two months they have made so many lame excuses for their network failures. First they said is was caused by hackers, then they said it was data hogs using up all the bandwidth, then they said it was malware, then they said it was equipment failure, etc etc etc. The excuses continue to become more creative, and never end.

The fact is they don’t appear to know what’s causing their regular and protracted CDMA outages, and nobody at Neotel seems to care either. It takes them weeks or days to fix the issues.

In their rush to chase big corporate and government contracts with fibre deals, they have completely turned their backs on the home and small business sector which carried them for years.

They are not a fixed line telekoms contender.
They are a non-contender!

Today's Neotel speedtest result.

View attachment 397152
As a big corporate using their enterprise services i can say its not much better either.