How letting young children watch TV can slow down their learning

Arthur

Honorary Master
Been known for years and years.

Negative effects of TV on 6-12 year-olds also well documented.

At the Waldorf schools parents have to sign an undertaking that their kids under 12 will not watch TV.

crackersa

Honorary Master
I don't know a two year old that can sit still long enough to watch 2 hours of TV. Mine can't even make it through teletubies....20 minutes.

Tikkop

Really?

TV is one of the best educational tools ever invented when used rightly.

The problem comes in when parents/caretakers use TV as a babysitter. But if you actively watch TV with them and ask engaging questions about what is happening on screen, then it is no more harmful than reading a story book full of colourful pictures.

crackersa

Honorary Master
Really?

TV is one of the best educational tools ever invented when used rightly.

The problem comes in when parents/caretakers use TV as a babysitter. But if you actively watch TV with them and ask engaging questions about what is happening on screen, then it is no more harmful than reading a story book full of colourful pictures.
Agree.

And I love tablets. Watching my son grow using one has me amazed. He knows exactly which apps to launch....like if he wants songs, he taps that app. If he wants to play with shapes or draw.....then he selects that app

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Learnt english from tv. Then again we had proper shows. Not these horrible things showing nowadays

crackersa

Honorary Master
Learnt english from tv. Then again we had proper shows. Not these horrible things showing nowadays
I met a girl in Spain that learned English by reading the lyrics of songs in cd covers.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Depends what they watch.....

Both my girls are musical, when they were younger the loved watching Little Einsteins, which taught amongst other topics music..
My 7 year old enjoys watching youtube, mostly nature tales about strange animals and aquatic creatures and because of youtube is way ahead of the rest of the mob in class...