How long can you go on for without no food

EMAM

Honorary Master
Asking this as I have a friend who has just gone through major trauma.

She stopped eating last Saturday - today is day 9 with no food intake whatsoever - only water and chicken soup - 6kg's down in weight.

Today her heart is racing - having an anxiety attack maybe or is the body asking for food? She REFUSES to seek medical advice.

She's had worse issues than this in her life but she's never ever switched off with food .

3WA

Honorary Master
Get her to a doctor.

Depending on what's in the chicken soup (protein, carbs, fat, salt), and how much she's having, she may not be totally malnourished. Alternately, she could also be digesting her own body.

Either way, what she's doing is not healthy and she needs professional help.

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
Get her to a doctor.

Depending on what's in the chicken soup (protein, carbs, fat, salt), and how much she's having, she may not be totally malnourished. Alternately, she could also be digesting her own body.

^This

EMAM

Honorary Master
Get her to a doctor.

She's refusing and I can't force her.

It's frikken instant packet soup

OCP

Expert Member
The damage she is doing to her body could seriously affect her life expectancy, both short and long term.
Get her medical help asap - if she refuses, try and get a Dr to do a home visit. If she refuses that also the Dr can have her admitted.
Not great to have to go though that, but once she is mentally well again she will thank you (hopefully!)

Cray

Honorary Master

She stopped eating last Saturday - today is day 9 with no food intake whatsoever - only water and chicken soup - 6kg's down in weight.

Today her heart is racing - having an anxiety attack maybe or is the body asking for food? She REFUSES to seek medical advice.

She's had worse issues than this in her life but she's never ever switched off with food .
3 Weeks seems to be the general consensus. Gandhi survived for 21 days on water alone, calorie portion of the soup is what is important in this case and will lengthen those numbers. 1000 calories per day is considered a minimum for healthy dieting... Any less than 800 per day is dangerous especially if she moves around a lot.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
mmmmm had a similar thing twice in my life so far, both times due to stress and anxiety when i got dumped by exes.
Also recall not eating anything for 2 weeks except coffee, eventually forcing myself to eat a slice of toast each day.
By the 4th or so week i was eating a little bit of fruit and 2 or 3 slices of toast and started feeling better, no cold sweats and shivering and anxiety.
Stress also creates poisonous chemicals in our bodies.
Hope she feels better soon, its not healthy for our bodies to behave like this. :cautious:
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-145...is-the-most-dangerous-toxin-in-your-life.html

mister

Executive Member
Sorry to hear... the trauma must have been major as you say...

I've done a 21 day water fast without any hiccups so she should be fine on water & chicken soup. Why don't you try making her a good homemade chicken soup rather than the packet crap? Just make it very watery to emulate what she is eating now.

People have water fasted for over a year before so I would not worry about her physically - just focus on her emotional state until she is ready to eat again.

Cray

Honorary Master
Sorry to hear... the trauma must have been major as you say...

I've done a 21 day water fast without any hiccups so she should be fine on water & chicken soup. Why don't you try making her a good homemade chicken soup rather than the packet crap? Just make it very watery to emulate what she is eating now.

People have water fasted for over a year before so I would not worry about her physically - just focus on her emotional state until she is ready to eat again.
By water fast, you mean only drinking water?

mister

Executive Member
By water fast, you mean only drinking water?

Correct.... There are a number of cases of water-only fasting for over a year in the medical literature... Obviously these were obese people! Thin people CANNOT go a year! But a few days/weeks is not such a problem unless they are already underweight.

Cray

Honorary Master
Correct.... There are a number of cases of water-only fasting for over a year in the medical literature... Obviously these were obese people! Thin people CANNOT go a year! But a few days/weeks is not such a problem unless they are already underweight.
Fair enough, you need fat and calorie reserves if you aren't going to take any in...

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma

Treat her trauma.

saor

Honorary Master
Overweight people are typically advised to do longer fasts under medical supervision due to stuff stored in fat cells getting released into the body as that fat gets mobilised for use by an unfed body. She could very well be experiencing a shock to the body as that kak is being released.

Mobus

Sjo, what kind of trauma does this to someone?

Perhaps time for an intervention with friends and family?

schuits

Expert Member
"How long can you go on for without no food"

That's a double negative.