How long does an ADSL speed upgrade take in 2019?

m.zakariyya.g

Requested that Afrihost re-upgrade my 1mbps line back to a 10mbps line. (downgraded while I was away). I did the upgrade on Sunday, however I only returned yesterday and my router was off until I came back. I'm still on a 1mbps line, and wondering if the router being off meant Telkom couldn't upgrade it sooner.

How long do upgrades normally take in 2019? (I'm in Cape Town)

Qrox

Expert Member
If your line is directly with Telkom it should just take a phone call and it can get upgraded while you are on the line.
If your line is with your ISP, then I have no idea. Follow up with your ISP and find out whats taking so long.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I phoned them yesterday.
I have a 100GB 10Meg line @ R485/m
Upgraded to an uncapped 20Meg line for R417/m

They said that it would take 48 hours.

My question though, on a capped account is, why in the F### can you not use free data between 12 - 8AM if your 100gig cap is depleted? Is this not 2 different portions of data?

Aharon

Executive Member
Piggy backing here... What is the slowest your line can go and the cost. Telkom are telling me 4mbps is the lowest?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I phoned them yesterday.

My question though, on a capped account is, why in the F### can you not use free data between 12 - 8AM if your 100gig cap is depleted? Is this not 2 different portions of data?
My line was upgraded. Speedtest shows speeds of 2mbps, but I am only receiving DL speeds of 385kb/s at peak...

Totempole

Expert Member
I phoned them yesterday.

Which ISP offers that? I need to switch to them.

cpu.

Expert Member
I phoned them yesterday.

It's the same on Telkom Mobile (Freeme). When the main data bundle is depleted all data bundles (WhatsApp etc) stop working until you purchase another.

Totempole

Expert Member
Afrihost, but I have to say that I am not seeing anything close 2Mbps at all.
Steam peaked in at 643 kbps. My capped line would have done this at 1.2Mbps.
Oh 2Mbps. That makes more sense. I thought it was 20.

643kbps is piss poor on a 2Mb. Have you checked your line stats?

Were you able to get a stable 10Mb line before?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Oh 2Mbps. That makes more sense. I thought it was 20.

643kbps is piss poor on a 2Mb. Have you checked your line stats?

Were you able to get a stable 10Mb line before?
Sorry, the Afrihost package says 20 Meg line, not a 2 meg line.

1.2 mbps = 10Meg line. (Yes this was stable, I do however think that uncapped line are shaped regardless of if you reached the threshold or not, as I got 1.2 mbps without a problem on a capped line.)
I am supposed to see double that on my 20Meg line.

isie

Executive Member
Requested that Afrihost re-upgrade my 1mbps line back to a 10mbps line. (downgraded while I was away). I did the upgrade on Sunday, however I only returned yesterday and my router was off until I came back. I'm still on a 1mbps line, and wondering if the router being off meant Telkom couldn't upgrade it sooner.

How long do upgrades normally take in 2019? (I'm in Cape Town)
your router being off would not affect it.
when i was on adsl and on telkom only took a couple of hours to be done.

Totempole

Expert Member
Sorry, the Afrihost package says 20 Meg line, not a 2 meg line.

1.2 mbps = 10Meg line. (Yes this was stable, I do however think that uncapped line are shaped regardless of if you reached the threshold or not, as I got 1.2 mbps without a problem on a capped line.)
I am supposed to see double that on my 20Meg line.
Oh. I see what you're saying. So R417 is just for the data account.

My guess would be shaping if your line is stable. Afrihost doesn't have particularly good home uncapped accounts.

On my capped account with them I usually get about 2.2MBps on my 20Mbps VDSL line.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Oh. I see what you're saying. So R417 is just for the data account.

My guess would be shaping if your line is stable. Afrihost doesn't have particularly good home uncapped accounts.

On my capped account with them I usually get about 2.2MBps on my 20Mbps VDSL line.
Data and line that is managed by them. I only pay Telkom their R201. I think we are misunderstanding each other a bit here lol.

Totempole

Expert Member
Data and line that is managed by them. I only pay Telkom their R201. I think we are misunderstanding each other a bit here lol.
Same here, but I'm paying R445pm for my 20Mb line with them and then R109 for a 100GB capped account.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
If your line is directly with Telkom it should just take a phone call and it can get upgraded while you are on the line.
If your line is with your ISP, then I have no idea. Follow up with your ISP and find out whats taking so long.
With Telkom it would take several phone calls

Qrox

Expert Member
With Telkom it would take several phone calls
Last time I just had to make one call, but I did have to hold for about 30 minutes before someone answered.
After that it was pretty quick to get it upgraded as I just followed their instructions to restart the modem when they told me and it worked.

You get good days and bad days with them. Had to log a call for a fault the other day. Took a week for someone to come out to tell me the filter is faulty and my adsl speed is poor because we have a phone plugged on the fiter :unsure:. Speeds when back to normal for 2 days after plugging it out and then dropped again, so clearly that wasn't the issue.

You win some you loose some.