How long does it take Telekom to replace a stolen line?

Jade135

Last week while working from home my wifi suddenly stopped working I use an ADSL line. I called the Telkom customer service and they made me reset my router and said the issue was on my side and that I should take my router in for a check up. I took the router in and it worked in the shop so when I got home I expected everything to be okay. But it still didn't work after calling Telkom multiple times no one could give me an answer. Finally I called the guy who set up my line and he informed me that the network cable in ruyterwacht had been stolen it has been two weeks now and no one at Telkom can give me an answer when it will be fixed or if they will ever fix it. How long does it usually take?

Kawak

Expert Member
Telkom has been retiring copper in many areas in Gauteng, no idea what they are doing in the Cape, the biggest reason for them to do that are cables being stolen. If you can't get a straight answer, do whatever you need to do when you expect them not to repair the cable.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Last week while working from home my wifi suddenly stopped working I use an ADSL line. I called the Telkom customer service and they made me reset my router and said the issue was on my side and that I should take my router in for a check up. I took the router in and it worked in the shop so when I got home I expected everything to be okay. But it still didn't work after calling Telkom multiple times no one could give me an answer. Finally I called the guy who set up my line and he informed me that the network cable in ruyterwacht had been stolen it has been two weeks now and no one at Telkom can give me an answer when it will be fixed or if they will ever fix it. How long does it usually take?
They're not going to fix it. Get Fiber or LTE.

JonOpollo

In areas where we do not yet have Openserve Fibre, we will continue to service, support and maintain the current DSL internet infrastructure. So you will continue to enjoy reliable internet.

Technician working on Openserve street box

If your area has been upgraded to Fibre and you are still currently using DSL, the service will continue to work, however should there be a fault, we will not repair it but will instead migrate your service from DSL to Fibre.
If they are liable to fix it, it could take a while. Had a cable loose last year on the pole it took six technicians of which 3 showed up and one eventually got to fixing it. I live near ruyterwacht and the areas where they stole copper recently they've just migrated everyone over to FLLA phones with 3g or LTE data.

If you have fibre or reliable LTE it's worth considering the move over.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
When the cables to my parent farm were stolen Telkom never replaced it. They went for a month without it, then got Rain Fixed LTE and ported their 021 number to Switchtel.

deweyzeph

Executive Member

Do you know you could have just plugged a phone into your line and checked for a dial-tone to determine that your line wasn't working instead going through all this drama? Alternatively you could have just logged into your router and checked the line stats to see if the modem in your router was syncing to the exchange or not.

SuperKamiSamwise

My line is also down for a week now, I phoned Telkom, they said that they're working on it and they don't know how long it'll take to get repaired, contacted openserve no feedback, I'm only 6 months into this contract. Yikes

deweyzeph

Executive Member
My line is also down for a week now, I phoned Telkom, they said that they're working on it and they don't know how long it'll take to get repaired, contacted openserve no feedback, I'm only 6 months into this contract. Yikes

Why would you sign a contract for ADSL?

Solarion

Honorary Master
How long does it take Telekom to replace a stolen line?

They don't. Not any more. They would fix the line and next week it's all torn up again.

SuperKamiSamwise

Hey just following up, I spoke with Telkom and after a week of saying that they're gonna replace the line they say said they won't replace the line and will offer alternative internet, basically a LTE simcard and router. Cancel your contract with them and look for something else. The copper lines keep getting stolen and they won't replace it

fragtion

Expert Member
Amazing how nothing has changed in over a decade. I'm surprised Telkom still has any more copper cables to steal

Jules7

When I got up Wednesday morning my landline and ADSL was down.Reported it at about midday after a post on the NHW WhatsApp about a Telkom box that was vandalized overnight about 100m from my house.This morning I went to the Telkom and MTN shops to enquire about their LTE deals because I thought no repairs were going to be done.Returned just after 10 to found 3 Telkom vans parked at the box and was told they managed to pulled enough slack and my line was up as a tech went to my house to confirm with the wife. So not too shabby service. Goodwood area.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
You are lucky, they probably have enough customers reliant on it in that area to keep it going.

Right now if I was in that position I would look at the Axxess uncapped MTN fixed LTE deals.

Jola

Honorary Master
Sometimes they never replace these stolen cables. Happened to family of mine, they now use a wireless internet service (not mobile).

I am waiting for StarLink. But it's taking a bit long. Maybe problems with ICASA ?