How long it takes for web pages to load in South Africa

timhaak

Just have to add MyBB is just bellow 3s for first render and final render in 5.5s ;)

So within standard.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
Let's also not forget that Akamai's RUM market share is only about 4-5% (https://www.datanyze.com/market-share/wpm/South+Africa/akamai-rum-market-share). I have not read the Akamai report, but I assume that websites using RUM will run on Akamai's ION platform and as such would have a ton of cash and would be in the minority.

Most locally hosted websites would not run on Akamai (perhaps some CDN - but then the RUM report would not give a full picture).

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Where do you get those stats from? It's 5mb payload, 15sec pageload and render starts at 9 sec - https://www.webpagetest.org/result/170314_V9_RXF/

Site is completely unoptimised - no minified content and images could be optimised reducing payload by at least 3mb
That is from Virginia in the USA though?

The use of the comma though in the OP is completely off and makes it look like 3 ms instead of 3 seconds which is about right to my seat of the pants feel.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
That is from Virginia in the USA though?

The use of the comma though in the OP is completely off and makes it look like 3 ms instead of 3 seconds which is about right to my seat of the pants feel.
Yes, it still provides an important insight on what is wrong with the MyBB site (https://www.webpagetest.org/result/170314_V9_RXF/1/performance_optimization/). Also remember that based on the website's demographics your RUM results would be different. A technology website would have a tech audience which would typically access content from highspeed internet connections.

A classified site such as OLX/Gumtree would have a "normal" consumer demographics which most people connecting via mobile (due to sites being blocked at work) and therefore RUM would also be low. My point is however, that Akamai RUM only samples a small portion as it requires for Akamai to inject beacons into a website to measure round-trip time (i.e. typically a Javascript beacon which fires when the page loads, renders and finishes loading). Most corporate proxies also strip out RUM beacons.

Swa

Honorary Master
Really long if it's mybroadband.co.za/news/. Why 4mb before anything shows? Most of the content is already there from previous visits.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yes, it still provides an important insight on what is wrong with the MyBB site (https://www.webpagetest.org/result/170314_V9_RXF/1/performance_optimization/). Also remember that based on the website's demographics your RUM results would be different. A technology website would have a tech audience which would typically access content from highspeed internet connections.

A classified site such as OLX/Gumtree would have a "normal" consumer demographics which most people connecting via mobile (due to sites being blocked at work) and therefore RUM would also be low. My point is however, that Akamai RUM only samples a small portion as it requires for Akamai to inject beacons into a website to measure round-trip time (i.e. typically a Javascript beacon which fires when the page loads, renders and finishes loading). Most corporate proxies also strip out RUM beacons.
Oh I have no idea what you are talking about or what RUM is.

Was just stating that I would expect it to take much longer from across the pond.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Was discussing adblock performance impact in the what browser do you use thread. Here is MyBB (from Washington DC:
https://www.dareboost.com/en/report/58c7ea5a0cf2f870a30a7516
1.png
2.png

We have established the weight distribution of the page by resource type:

JavaScript : 4,48% of total weight
Texts : 1,98% of total weight
XML : 0,76% of total weight
CSS : 0,32% of total weight
JSON : 0,02% of total weight

Here is the weight of the 10 heaviest resources over the network, and that are necessary to load the page:
Code:
    mybroadband.co.za/news/wp-content/up[...]int-security.jpg (436 kB)
    mybroadband.co.za/news/wp-content/up[...]edes-A-Class.jpg (272 kB)
    mybroadband.co.za/news/wp-content/up[...]-Hoe-Ons-Rol.jpg (216 kB)
    mybroadband.co.za/news/wp-content/up[...]/Singularity.jpg (206 kB)
    mybroadband.co.za/news/wp-content/up[...]ion-strategy.jpg (203 kB)
    mybroadband.co.za/news/wp-content/up[...]ogo-on-phone.jpg (172 kB)
Of the above images: All except the 172 are adds or partner content.

Optimize your images with WordPress

Properly formatting and compressing images can save many bytes of data.

Optimize the following images to reduce their size by 515.4KiB (20% reduction).
This one is also nice:
27 images (3MB) are loaded too early

Load images above the foldline first, that means all the images that are visible without any scroll of the page by the visitor.

27 images (3MB) loading can be delayed on this page, representing 70% of the total weight of all your images.

The !important keyword is used 285 times

If you abuse of this keyword, you should consider a review of your CSS code. We tolerate 10 occurrences of the !important keyword before penalizing your score.

Last edited:

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
Oh I have no idea what you are talking about or what RUM is.

Was just stating that I would expect it to take much longer from across the pond.
mkay - here is an explanation of RUM - https://blog.newrelic.com/2011/05/17/how-rum-works/

The location of the test is greatly irrelevant as it will only affect the Network portion of the real-user-monitoring test. The other parts (request queueing, web app, DOM processing and page rendering) are completely attributable to the design of the website. As an example: MyBB uses a highly inefficient configuration of Wordpress and forum software. Even offloading into Cloudflare did not resolve the performance issue and just clouds the actual issues.

Running local tests are really pointless as they mostly will not show those inefficiencies. Running remote tests will show if webservers are poorly configured - case in point is the way HTTP/2 is configured - it does not properly multiplex and hence is one of the reasons why there are such excessive delays (also a portion of Mybroadband is still serving SSL over HTTP/1.

Either way, the article is quite meaningless as it does not provide details of how many websites per country were tested and what the actual low/avg/high speed of both desktop and mobile connections were. The article also implies that all websites are RUM enabled which is not the case and I doubt that Akamai can accurately measure this without ingesting RUM beacons into browser request.

Thor

Honorary Master
Just have to add MyBB is just bellow 3s for first render and final render in 5.5s ;)

So within standard.
Chrome dev tools show a very different story....

40Mbps VDSL line mybb takes just under 14 seconds