How many entertainment subscriptions do you pay for each month?

How many entertainment subscriptions do you pay for each month?

• None

Votes: 48 13.5%

Votes: 103 28.9%

Votes: 78 21.9%

Votes: 67 18.8%

Votes: 31 8.7%
  • 5+

Votes: 27 7.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters

AtoZ

Apart from a select few shows, I hardly find value in keeping a subscription on Television/Movies.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Pay via India with VPN. R40 for 6 users. Cheap as chips.

It's not the cost, I just don't value YT as much as some and that's fine :)

For those with Disney Plus.. why?
Looks like old shows and for the new ones. I'm sure some Linux Distros are available

Disney is ace for people with kids but yeah, they are light on new stuff atm. I yaar my way around Disney stuff.

Not if you're in the UK like Mephisto. A bag of chips cost about R80 there and that R40 is half the cost of a pint.

Oh noes ...... good thing I'm not earning rands huh so your expensive, is not at all.

Wary GOM

Expert Member
Including SABC TV licence? Just Netflix. 1.
SABC TV. Well done on coming out of the closet and acknowledging that self-inflicted pain is a form of entertainment if it gives pleasure. Whatever spins your wheels. LoL

boggom

LiveNetTv, Stremio and Cyberflix provides all the entertainment my family needs and it's all free.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
For those with Disney Plus.. why?
Looks like old shows and for the new ones. I'm sure some Linux Distros are available
So my sister lets me use her account so not costing me anything other than the VPN sub which is also useful.
I'm trying to get away from Linux Distro's for a few reasons but also trying to use legitimate sources where possible.
TBH though Disney+ is rubbish. I would rate them below showmax in terms of usability and they don't actually have that much content - its just all very exclusive content.
Its very disappointing though because simple things like automatically tracking what episode you are on so you can binge are just not working. There is no way something like this will ever replace Netflix.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Yip I give them Netflix and R100 in return I get DSTV Premium
I let my uncle use my Netflix but haven't asked him if I can use his DSTV log-in yet. This was always the plan but just haven't needed it due to lockdown.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
I let my uncle use my Netflix but haven't asked him if I can use his DSTV log-in yet. This was always the plan but just haven't needed it due to lockdown.

Yeah I know the feeling I have probably watched a total of 10 hours of DSTV this year which works out to about R100 per hour.

Urg when I look at it like that I'm getting ripped off.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Almost everyone has mentioned DNS in their answer -What is that ?
Some of the services we use are region locked like Disney+ and BC iPlayer so we use a VPN or DNS service to mask our location. This makes it look like we are using the service in the US or UK.
Netflix in SA also has a limited catalog so you can access the full catalog if you make it look like you are viewing from the USA.

There are also some other good security reasons to use a VPN but it can affect speed as well. The streaming services that enforce region restrictions also are aware of these type of VPN services and so might block access so can end up being a bit of cat and mouse.

Raithlin

Executive Member
YouTube Premium Family (covers music and mobile related features)
Netflix
VPN (ITV, anyone?)
F1TV - it's the only sport I enjoy watching, and at R89 a month is much better value than DSTV.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
1) How do guys buy Disney+/Hulu/ESPN bundle each month?
I just pay my Hulu subscription with a paypal account linked to my credit card. Then with Hulu subscription you can sign up for other packages (such as the Disney+ and ESPN package (for those two added onto my Hulu sub it costs me an extra $5.

lestoran

• Netflix
  • Amazon Prime
  • Youtube Premium
  • XBox Live Ultimate
  • Digitally Imported Radio (yes I know I can get same sort of thing on YouTube but can't stand the poor sound quality)

Jeez thats actually a lot!