How many homes have Telkom fibre

zeely

what is the difference between homes connected and fibre to the home

what is the difference between msan access vs fibre to the cabinet

envo

Expert Member

You know that thing your mother picked up whenever it rang? That wasn't her cellphone? That's a land line.

Land Lines were used to connect to the internet, either via dial-up, ISDN, ADSL or VDSL services.

If you had any of the above, you will fall under "homes connected" because you could connect to the internet. These technologies, especially ADSL and VDSL uses MSAN (which is a big box somewhere close to you, usually green or blue, that your line connects to). These big boxes are then connected directly to what you would call a POP (point of presence) that then has a backhaul straight to the data-centers or wherever it needs to go to get you online.

These same "cabinets" (which is just the enclosure of wherever the line goes to from your house to the outside world, i.e the MSAN) are used for fibre. So instead of running a copper line to the cabinet, they run a fibre line there.

Fibre to the home, same as copper to the home, except you get a fibre strand directly to your house.

system32

Expert Member
R10b Multi-Links Nigeria

The company also increased capital expenditure on fibre in the past year, which stood at R1.1 billion
Imagine if telkom had invested in 2009 the R10b lost in Nigeria Multi-Links on ZA fibre.

see M&G:
Telkom's #EpicFail

"resulting in more than 2.4 million premises passed with fibre" said Telkom
Homes connected to fibre – 73,710
So they've connected 3% of the homes - does not seem that good.

Wonder how many homes the other fibre companies (eg Vumatel) have.

BlaQ_PhoeniX

homes connected = fibre is lit, fibre to the home = houses passed?

genetic

Honorary Master
These technologies, especially ADSL and VDSL uses MSAN (which is a big box somewhere close to you, usually green or blue, that your line connects to). These big boxes are then connected directly to what you would call a POP (point of presence) that then has a backhaul straight to the data-centers or wherever it needs to go to get you online.
MSAN's are white, not green or blue.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
There is still no fibre for my suburb. Funny thing is that there are Telkom fibre cables running pass the Telkom box/cabinet on the corner of my street to another part of the suburb.

furpile

Expert Member
If you had any of the above, you will fall under "homes connected" because you could connect to the internet.

Fibre to the home, same as copper to the home, except you get a fibre strand directly to your house.
I don't think this is the case. From the article we have the following numbers:
Homes connected to fibre – 73,710
Fibre to the home – up 107.9% to 300,506
To me it seems that Homes connected to fibre is where you have the physical fibre line going into your house. Fibre to the Home I think they include their "Wireless fibre" nonsense, where you are connected to a WiFi network that has a fibre backhaul.

MickeyD

RIP
I don't think this is the case. From the article we have the following numbers:

To me it seems that Homes connected to fibre is where you have the physical fibre line going into your house. Fibre to the Home I think they include their "Wireless fibre" nonsense, where you are connected to a WiFi network that has a fibre backhaul.
Nah, these confusing numbers all refer to fixed lines, no wireless involved.

phex

Where can one get updated Telkom's fibre to the cabinet map online? If they have it.

Sumen

Expert Member
Imagine if telkom had invested in 2009 the R10b lost in Nigeria Multi-Links on ZA fibre.

see M&G:
Telkom's #EpicFail

So they've connected 3% of the homes - does not seem that good.

Wonder how many homes the other fibre companies (eg Vumatel) have.
Vumatel probably has a slightly high number but I doubt it's anything to get happy about

Genisys

Honorary Master
Low uptake is hardly surprising considering in some areas there is 3 fibre providers rolling out at the same place all for the sake of getting a slice of the pie, mean while in the middle class suburbs there is absolutely no fibre (please don't start with the "your neighborhood association is suppose to gather interest" argument, its the providers job to gain interest).

It seems like providers are working against each other, trying to edge one another forgetting about users. I find it quiet ridiculous that people see this as good practice.