How many litres of paint do I need to respray my VW Microbus?

Phopsta

Hi Guys

I need your help, how many litres of paint do I need for a complete respray of my Volkawagen Microbus 2.3?

And what other materials will I need?

Thank you

Neuk_

Executive Member
Considering a professional respray with some minor bodywork is going to set you back anything from R60k upwards the amount of paint you need is probably the least of your worries. I would not recommend painting an entire bus yourself unless you have at least previous experience with bodywork, sanding, flatting, undercoats, paint, overcoats, spraying, etc, etc.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Hi Guys

I need your help, how many litres of paint do I need for a complete respray of my Volkawagen Microbus 2.3?

Thank you

Complete respray?

Many litres of paint, and clear coat and primer

And a decent compressor and paint gun, and a dust free area to do the spraying in and some serious skill in spraying large surfaces to avoid orangepeel and runs.

Honest suggestion, don't do it.

Thugscub

Expert Member
Biggest preparation job is the sanding and taping off the bits and pieces.
Spraying is the easiest part.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Considering a professional respray with some minor bodywork is going to set you back anything from R60k upwards the amount of paint you need is probably the least of your worries. I would not recommend painting an entire bus yourself unless you have at least previous experience with bodywork, sanding, flatting, undercoats, paint, overcoats, spraying, etc, etc.
60k?

You mad bro.

saor

Honorary Master
Hi Guys

Thank you
What are you going to spray it with?

upup

Executive Member
Depends what type of paint you are going to use, pva enamel and water or oil base

Ares1000101

I Dont think OP is too worried about the finish, sounds like he/she just wants the basics...

OP I have an unused brush and paint tray you're more than welcome to have. And some plastic sheeting. You might as well have my unused tin of paint I bought when I wanted to do my bathroom ceiling. It's somewhat waterproof so should be OK I think? It's a small tin so perhaps use it for the roof of the combi only.

airborne

Honorary Master
60k?

You mad bro.
R60k is about right on a large vehicle like a Microbus, "professional" being the operative word, which means refinished to factory OE spec, not Backyard Bill's spray n go spec.
ask @airborne - he must have resprayed at least one of his cars like a pro ( in his opinion).
Geez mate why so butthurt??

I have done a fair amount of refinishing in my time but never a full vehicle.

Doing a full vehicle correctly is an enormous amount of work, you have to strip a huge amount off and then there'll no doubt be plenty of bodywork and scratches that'll need attention before you can even think of respraying.

Op any automotive paint shop will be able to give you the coverage of their products and the quantity necessary to respray the vehicle. And don't forget primer, sandpaper, twin cartridge masks etc etc etc

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
R60k is about right on a large vehicle like a Microbus, "professional" being the operative word, which means refinished to factory OE spec, not Backyard Bill's spray n go spec. Geez mate why so butthurt??

I have done a fair amount of refinishing in my time but never a full vehicle.

Doing a full vehicle correctly is an enormous amount of work, you have to strip a huge amount off and then there'll no doubt be plenty of bodywork and scratches that'll need attention before you can even think of respraying.

Op any automotive paint shop will be able to give you the coverage of their products and the quantity necessary to respray the vehicle. And don't forget primer, sandpaper, twin cartridge masks etc etc etc
Realistically Microbus is probably worth R60k anyway so idiotic to even consider pro.
Semi decent "African" spray can be done for 10k provided no extensive body work.

jezzad

Reminds me of my first car a beetle.

I had just finished school and my mates and I decided we could respray the car after watching too many episodes of pimp my ride :)

The confidence of youth and about 12 beers.......

Ya, wasn’t good. Imagine flaky cracking paint, the double what you imagine as bad...