How many South Africans lost their jobs during lockdown

bwana

MyBroadband
I have a job, it's just hibernating until level 1, because government.

saor

Honorary Master
I don't know how anyone actually reads an article like this. When the entire thing is stats of stats of stats it's near impossible to make sense of. /eyes glazed over. This is the only paragraph that means anything:
“Almost nine in ten (89.5%) of those who were employed before the national lockdown, remained employed during the lockdown, 8.1% reported that they lost their jobs or had to close their businesses, and 1.4% became unemployed,” Stats SA said.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I don't know how anyone actually reads an article like this. When the entire thing is stats of stats of stats it's near impossible to make sense of. /eyes glazed over. This is the only paragraph that means anything:
Was gonna say a similar thing....

It's a whole load of numbers and only that paragraph vaguely pertains to the headline...

And 10%... Yeah that is horribly skewed based of a small sample size that is also favoring knowledge workers having access to the internet.

/dev/null

How many South Africans lost their jobs during lockdown

Stats SA has released its latest report on the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on employment in South Africa.

The report cites data from a "wave 2 survey" which collated responses from 2,688 South African residents aged 18 and older.
The report states below limitation which the article fails to mention.

This survey used a non-probability sample and respondents who chose to respond to this survey are not representative of the entire South African population. Therefore, the results cannot be generalised to the entire South African population.

markings

Expert Member
The report states below limitation which the article fails to mention.
IOW the numbers are meaningless.

When I read "8.1% reported that they lost their jobs or had to close their businesses, and 1.4% became unemployed” my brain fogs over. Lost their job but did not become unemployed?

And how can income from savings and investment increase by 20% in an environment of crashing stock prices and decreasing interest rates?

greg_SA

Expert Member
Sample too small and too early. Wait another month, then numbers will be worse. Loads of people I know are on a reduced salary.

dazzazzad

Expert Member
Sample too small and too early. Wait another month, then numbers will be worse. Loads of people I know are on a reduced salary.
It's counter-intuitive I know but 2k respondents is not too small (but agree probably too early). It's actually too big of a sample in the sense that they wasted their time. For a 95% confidence interval and a 5% margin of error you'd need less than 400 random people. Whether the population was 5 million or 500 million, the required sample size stays the same.

richjdavies

It's counter-intuitive I know but 2k respondents is not too small (but agree probably too early). It's actually too big of a sample in the sense that they wasted their time. For a 95% confidence interval and a 5% margin of error you'd need less than 400 random people. Whether the population was 5 million or 500 million, the required sample size stays the same.
I expect they wanted a lower than 5% margin of error!
Infact, pretty sure if you plug 2% interval/margin in you'll get almost exactly the number they interviewed.

StatsSA arent New to stats!