How many South Africans use ad-blockers – and which sites are hit the hardest

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Admiral CEO... what's that, the CEO of a ship?
Article mentions one site only... no surprise... news24.
Seems to be another Naspers whinge in the form of an article

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Now I will ensure all Naspers websites are ad-blocked.

Sabre

The advertising industry should get with the program ... it is not the responsibility of internet users to ensure a site is financially sustainable. Site owners should rather stop whining and start understanding what adverts people are prepared to live with .. % coverage of screen, what type of media (pictures, video, sound, etc) ... bearing in mind people pay to receive this often unwanted media, and considering our high data costs this should be a starting point.

I don’t believe people will object to some advertising that doesn’t cost them too much, but it appears the general approach to occupy as much of a persons screen with rich and intrusive media.

My 10c

supersunbird

Honorary Master
At the bottom of the page in smaller print is a third option, which states “Continue without supporting us”. Clicking this takes users to the News24 site.
Not always, I have had times where it does not show that.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Really? News24 is a tech and/or gaming site? Didn't know that.
Rua said that in South Africa they have measured an average of 15% of site visitors using ad-blockers. 'The rates vary based upon the content of the site. For example, tech sites can be 20%-30% blocking rates,” said Rua. Gaming sites are hit even harder, and ad-block rates can measure over 50%.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Really? News24 is a tech and/or gaming site? Didn't know that.
Not to be funny but that's in the article.. I checked before I posted, to ensure I don't get accused of posting kark, and also because I suspected this was click-bait as per usual

IdlePhaedrus

Expert Member
Of course that is what the CEO of the service provider would say. It is hardly empirical evidence of loss or revenue.

Techcentral started doing this last week too. Both sites are now at the bottom of my newsfeeds, and have javascript disabled so they still work for me with ABP, but only if I really want to go and look.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Why are adblocker users more valuable than other users?

I would have thought adblocker users are less valuable as there is LESS chance that they will click through on ads.

When sites wise up and stop plastering ads EVERYWHERE there is a bit of blank space, then maybe ad block usage will taper off...

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
When I first started using the Internet in the 90's we blocked the adverts to save on bandwidth costs, and because our connection speeds were horrendously slow.

In todays world of high speed connections and uncapped bandwidth that is no longer a consideration, but what has happened is that adverts and sign-up pop-ups have now taken over the sites so that it is overly intrusive. If I am a frequent visitor to a site, I don't need the sign-up for the newsletter pop-up being shoved in my face every time I visit. so I block it. Also adverts that line both sides of a page and are in garish colours are going to get blocked as well. The site owners need to be reasonable about what is appropriate. If I had those same adverts on the television while watching, I would shut it off and go back to reading.

Ewie

to block admiral , on chrome go to JavaScript, option to block a site, and block your news site like www-news4-com, this will ensure that admiral does not pick up you are using a ad-blocker.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
I have no issues with web site advertising, until it gets abusive, then I get posted off, and I go to the effort of putting up a network wide adblocker. Easier, than putting an adblocker on each individual device, at home. As with all things, this is a two way street, be reasonable, and every one happy. Otherwise - adblocking is here to stay.

The abusers, cause every one to loose, because, I am not going to decide, which site is okay, and which is not okay, I do not have the time.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
He added that adblock visitors are more valuable than the average visitor, which means revenue losses can be higher than the simple adblock rates reported.
What?

I for one never click adverts, unless there is a competition involved (and not an advert for a competition).