How many South Africans use ad-blockers – and which sites are hit the hardest

rwenzori

Honorary Master
Admiral CEO... what's that, the CEO of a ship?
Paterson gradings at Admiral:

Seemann
Matrose
Matrosen-Gefreiter
Matrosen-Obergefreiter
Matrosen-Hauptgefreiter
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter
Matrosen-Stabsobergefreiter
Bootsmann
Stabsbootsmann
Oberbootsmann
Stabsoberbootsmann
Fähnrich zur See
Oberfähnrich zur See
Leutnant zur See
Oberleutnant zur See
Kapitäleutnant
Korvettenkapitän
Fregattenkapitän
Kapitän zur See
Kommodore
Konteradmiral
Vizeadmiral
Admiral
Generaladmiral
Grossadmiral

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
The advertising industry should get with the program
Indeed and there are projects out there with viable answers e.g. the Brave browser or the father of the internet'z new venture: Inrupt.

Pay the viewers to watch your ads ...

ab-user

to block admiral , on chrome go to JavaScript, option to block a site, and block your news site like www-news4-com, this will ensure that admiral does not pick up you are using a ad-blocker.
This! I blocked javascript from running on this certain domains

Trompie67

Expert Member
Why are adblocker users more valuable than other users?

I would have thought adblocker users are less valuable as there is LESS chance that they will click through on ads.

When sites wise up and stop plastering ads EVERYWHERE there is a bit of blank space, then maybe ad block usage will taper off...
I have no issues with web site advertising, until it gets abusive, then I get posted off, and I go to the effort of putting up a network wide adblocker. Easier, than putting an adblocker on each individual device, at home. As with all things, this is a two way street, be reasonable, and every one happy. Otherwise - adblocking is here to stay.

The abusers, cause every one to loose, because, I am not going to decide, which site is okay, and which is not okay, I do not have the time.
So this piqued my interest & I did a quick calculation on the MyBB forum.

My screen measures 52cm left to right of usable screen space.

The forum as I browse it measures 24,5cm left to right.

That means that adverts on MyBB forum take up more than 50% of my screen space.

Small wonder I use an adblocker, the grey background is for better than shitty random flashing ads.

Praeses

Expert Member
I just set my adblocker to block their adblocker-detecting blocker... :)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I VERY strongly doubt News24 is getting R49 per month from ads per user.

So how one earth can the monthly fee be justified? Play open cards and line it up with the money you actually make from ads that supported the website "for free" until just a few weeks ago and then you might get some traction.

Nobody is going to pay R49 a month to view your website. R10 a month you might just have a winner.

Johand

Expert Member
I am not against ads ... but what I don't understand is respectible sites running Taboola/Outbrain ads. If the sites were magazines they would not have debased themselves with trash and misleading ads like that but on the internet they see no problem with it?

They actually devalue their own brand and consequently long term ad potential.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I VERY strongly doubt News24 is getting R49 per month from ads per user.

So how one earth can the monthly fee be justified? Play open cards and line it up with the money you actually make from ads that supported the website "for free" until just a few weeks ago and then you might get some traction.

Nobody is going to pay R49 a month to view your website. R10 a month you might just have a winner.
For the 1 or 2 articles, on their website, a month, that I normally read, I could not be bothered.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I am not against ads ... but what I don't understand is respectible sites running Taboola/Outbrain ads. If the sites were magazines they would not have debased themselves with trash and misleading ads like that but on the internet they see no problem with it?

They actually devalue their own brand and consequently long term ad potential.
Yup especially when the mobile interfaces are so compromised you cannot even find where the article is supposed to be.

I would have no issue with ads if they were in a reasonable static place off to the side and rotated every X seconds. Meanwhile in most cases there are more ads on the pages than content...and then half the time some of them pretend to be content which makes it far worse.

I don't block ads because they are ads and generate money, I block ads because they try to bullshit people and I need to actively sift through them to discern what is and isn't an ad.

spiff

Executive Member
fark ads and the sites that push them down my throat - as long as I pay for MY data there will be NO ads on my laptop screen - period!!

they even starting to use front COVER pages on my local newspaper now - so I can't even gaze at the headlines now before I toss the ad riddled shyt into the garbage!

ponder

Honorary Master
Why can't sites do unobtrusive adds? You get bombarded with annoying popups and all types of crap.

I use chrome + ublock origin on the desktop. On my phone I use kiwi browser and youtube vanced. Got some sites whitelisted, the few that don't work and insist on disabling adblockers I will never visit again.

Swa

Honorary Master
What I want to know is why do the advertisers even pay these sites? The only purpose of an adwall is to generate revenue for the publishers and nobody even sees most of the ads. The same for popups so it looks like someone clicked on an ad. Surely this devalues the service they get. Nah, until the advertising and publishing industry comes up with something that's fair for all I'll block their ****.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
Ad's are an absolute necessity but a lot of sites take things too far which necessitates the use of an ad blocker. Users are not (usually) compelled to click on any of them but they are intrusive and a downright nuisance. Put that in your pipe and smoke it News 24.