How many subscribers Netflix has in South Africa – MultiChoice’s official estimate

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Aka MC have zero fscking clue, and are just punting some random number that they think supports their cause.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
Classic upset bully tactics from MC.

It's cheaper for them to have a media campaign against Netflix and bribe a few people, than to invest in making a better product.

SA-UK

Banned
And MC?

Millions no doubt, with extortionate fees for mostly shyte, old reruns of C grade flops.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
The only way they could know is with exit polls for their subscribers.

I imagine most people are going to answer "I'm cancelling because I'm using a legal streaming service like Netflix".

So they might have a low estimate of how many subscribers Netflix has. I'm willing to bet there were a couple 100k subscribers before it even became a legal option in SA.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
The only way they could know is with exit polls for their subscribers.

I imagine most people are going to answer "I'm cancelling because I'm using a legal streaming service like Netflix".

So they might have a low estimate of how many subscribers Netflix has. I'm willing to bet there were a couple 100k subscribers before it even became a legal option in SA.

Unless they have paid ISP's to provide that kind of information to them...

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Aka MC have zero fscking clue, and are just punting some random number that they think supports their cause.

pretty much that. Asking the competition for numbers is weird journalism.

Temujin

Honorary Master
Mawela also advocated for online and traditional broadcast services to be treated the same when it comes to regulation.

He said Netflix and Amazon should be required to obtain a broadcast licence,

What? Foff... only reason you have a broadcast license is cos you broadcast, its not for your streaming... unless of course you will be willing to fork out for two? Yeah, lets see that fight go down when they turn around and tell you your current one isn't valid for streaming and you need a second one. Careful what you wish for ahole;)

Underworld

Dear Mr. Mawela , please take you expensive DSTV and go fly a kite. I have been without DSTV for 3 years and not missing it one bit. The only thing keeping you alive is DSTV sport, but I think the regulatory rather need to stop that Uncompetitive nature and behaviour in it's tracks and let's see what happens then!

Last edited:

McGuywer

Executive Member
He said Netflix and Amazon should be required to obtain a broadcast licence, pay taxes in South Africa, and comply with the classification regulations of the FPB.

We said you should stop the monopoly.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Ah the classic MyBB DSTV hate brigade. Never fails to amaze.

Last edited:

Alacrity

Trying to regulate the market to break the exclusivity and first-air rights MultiChoice has will therefore hand South Africa’s pay TV sector to overseas companies, said Mawela.
The reason DStv is so expensive.

Exclusivity and first-air rights should not have seen the light of day in the first place. It was created out of greed and now those who invented those rights are complaining about piracy being so prevalent.

Piracy isn't virtuous but exclusivity and first-air rights are more corrupt practices which should be demolished first before they try to fight piracy. Since calling for help trying to stop someone stealing from you while you steal more from others isn’t going to work all that well for you…

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
What? Foff... only reason you have a broadcast license is cos you broadcast, its not for your streaming... unless of course you will be willing to fork out for two? Yeah, lets see that fight go down when they turn around and tell you your current one isn't valid for streaming and you need a second one. Careful what you wish for ahole;)

Netflix and Amazon should say "OK, we agree to those terms, on one condition - you forego your monopoly you have on the majority of shows, and we see with whom the studios would rather do business".

Then we'll see whether Monochoice is really up for a "fair fight". The only reason people still use them for series, is due to the monopoly they have.

adrianx

Expert Member
Trying to regulate the market to break the exclusivity and first-air rights MultiChoice has will therefore hand South Africa’s pay TV sector to overseas companies, said Mawela.
Please do!

ngwe23

Executive Member
Pro-MC? Are we reading the same article? :confused:

The basis of this article is a number that was provided by MC. MC wants Netflix to be regulated (something which I agree with) so they have a commercial interest in this. By quoting unverified numbers which are provided by MC, myBB is being a conduit to spread MC's agenda.