How Microsoft’s Game Pass is becoming the Netflix of gaming

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
How Microsoft’s Game Pass is becoming the Netflix of gaming

The launch of Google’s game streaming service, Stadia, had the hype machine in overdrive this week. Not because streaming games over the Internet is a particularly new idea, but because it’s Google.

Apple didn’t invent the MP3 player, touchscreen smartphone, or tablet PC, but it’s Apple. People expect the tech giants to get ideas right, to think of things that others did not, to do things that those who came before just could not.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Anyone tried the xbox pass for windows?
Tried it for the free trial + an extra month because I forgot to cancel.

Older UWP titles are annoying when you use a mouse and keyboard. Sometimes when moving the mouse around , the cursor will move onto the taskbar or toolbar and the game will just pause. Newer UWP titles don't have that issue.

A lot of Indie titles are straight up Xbox One ports, no optimisation for mouse and keyboard.

Personally I spent most of my time playing strategy games and some classic titles. If my laptop could play handle the newer titles I definitely would of kept it.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The Xbox Game Pass for PC is unbelievable value. I really can't recommend it enough and I'll probably never cancel my subscription.

The Outer Worlds, Metro Exodus, Rage 2, Horizon 4, Age of Empires 2 plus 4 whenever it releases, Gears 5 and a long list of others. It's easily enough content to spend no additional money on games.

And there are way more games for Xbox only. So if you wanted to expand, or provide for kids and/or guests, upgrade to the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and buy an Xbox.

I've got Game Pass Ultimate since I game on both PC and XBox One X. It's amazing really. I don't see a reason to buy games anymore.
There will always be some outliers not included, like Cyberpunk and Fallen Order. Plus any Nintendo or Sony exclusives of course.

I also have Humble Monthly, which combined with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, is an absurd quantity of games.

Long live this Netflix gaming golden age.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
The Xbox Game Pass for PC is unbelievable value. I really can't recommend it enough and I'll probably never cancel my subscription.

The Outer Worlds, Metro Exodus, Rage 2, Horizon 4, Age of Empires 2 plus 4 whenever it releases, Gears 5 and a long list of others. It's easily enough content to spend no additional money on games.

And there are way more games for Xbox only. So if you wanted to expand, or provide for kids and/or guests, upgrade to the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and buy an Xbox.

There will always be some outliers not included, like Cyberpunk and Fallen Order. Plus any Nintendo or Sony exclusives of course.

I also have Humble Monthly, which combined with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, is an absurd quantity of games.

Super happy with it myself

Jan

Drifting in the black
Yeah, I think the article has a 'small' error. One month of PlayStation Plus is R109. And if you get the yearly R899 / 12 = R74.91

I don't know where the R349 comes from.
Thanks... Yeah, I'm not entire sure what happened there either. Maybe there was a glitch on the store on the day I wrote the article, or maybe I accidentally looked at the price for a 3-month membership.

Either way, I've updated the table.

Okty

Expert Member

Thanks for the info!

Think I will give it a go when I finished my current games. Want to give those games higligted a try.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yup, but I've got a One as well. DOwnloaded Age of Empires 2 HD remaster, Forza Horizon 4 and Gears of War 4 for the PC.