How Microsoft made Windows 11 faster than Windows 10

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Only in niche circumstances, for performance from what I have seen most people will probably actually have to disable these new features. It sounds very impressive but having things in perpetual sleep cause WAY too many problems in many use cases.

This is a software problem not a hardware one

other than potentially the context menu tweak.... I see literally nothing in win11 that makes me want it.

Yes, hardware dependent security is not only more expensive than it should be it is also obsolete almost as soon as it becomes widely adopted. There is nothing hardware can do security wise that software cannot do better,

That is less than 4 years.... an eternity in internet time but the blink of an eye in hardware time.

But of course you argue from the privileged position of the higher income earner that pays 45% marginal tax.... you are divorced from the reality on the ground that most people actually face where fully upgrading a whole PC is something you need to save for for half a decade.... IF you can actually afford it.

If a whole office of 5-20 PC's is still running hardware not capable of supporting the bloated new shiny essentially mandatory OS..... and the business basically only makes say a R40k profit per year after expenses..... who is going to pay to have all that hardware replaced? You?

Perhaps you should start thinkng beyond your own cushy privileged position.

A chunk of it is software stuff without a doubt, but that would rely on newer features in the new processor generations potentially so its interconnected.

Maybe you don't see anything in windows 11 that makes you want it, that doesn't mean the features are only really cared about by a small number of people.

Ummm no, hardware dependent security will never be obsolete. A decent security model relies on both hardware and software security. One can't exist and be "safer" without the other.

As for your comment about privileged position of higher income nonsense, I actually haven't bought any PC parts in over 6 years as its too expensive for my blood. And the office thing, if that office only makes R40k per year after expenses, they're never going to upgrade so now the rest of the world must live with an old OS with shyte security because of small marginal businesses? Yeah, thats a great model to adapt for something like an OS.

ToxicBunny

Taking one office in particular, 5 PC's.... only ONE is win11 compatible and only one of the other 4 will probably be replaced by 2025.

So this office doesn't take any advantage of tax regulations then?

Maybe they should get a better accountant, or do better in the business realm if they're only upgrading machines in 8 year cycles.

rambo919

Honorary Master

Maybe they should get a better accountant, or do better in the business realm if they're only upgrading machines in 8 year cycles.
What is that supposed to mean?

system32

Expert Member
Win11 is faster because you need a new generation compatible and faster computer to run it.

rambo919

Honorary Master
A chunk of it is software stuff without a doubt, but that would rely on newer features in the new processor generations potentially so its interconnected.

Maybe you don't see anything in windows 11 that makes you want it, that doesn't mean the features are only really cared about by a small number of people.
Name one new win11-only feature that actually has mass appeal beyond a niche number of consumers?

Ummm no, hardware dependent security will never be obsolete. A decent security model relies on both hardware and software security. One can't exist and be "safer" without the other.
Except when you reach the point that the hardware is so full of holes or bugs that it does not get software side updates anymore.... and this is not strictly age related.

As for your comment about privileged position of higher income nonsense, I actually haven't bought any PC parts in over 6 years as its too expensive for my blood. And the office thing, if that office only makes R40k per year after expenses, they're never going to upgrade so now the rest of the world must live with an old OS with shyte security because of small marginal businesses? Yeah, thats a great model to adapt for something like an OS.
My point, genius.... is MOST offices in SA are like that.

Only a minority belong to the big corporate sector.

rambo919

Honorary Master
You can write down things like PCs over 3 years... and get a reduction in the amount of money you owe the taxman every year.
You seriously say that and say others need a better accountant?

The reason small business does not buy hardware unless it needs to.... it does not buy ANYTHING unless it needs to. The decrease in profit from depreciation is never enough to justify the minuscule tax break unless you are talking huge figures.

This is absolutely moronic business advice..... what is the point of a small tax break if it drives you into an overdraft?

ToxicBunny

Name one new win11-only feature that actually has mass appeal beyond a niche number of consumers?

Except when you reach the point that the hardware is so full of holes or bugs that it does not get software side updates anymore.... and this is not strictly age related.

My point, genius.... is MOST offices in SA are like that.

Only a minority belong to the big corporate sector.

Some of the new features that have mass appeal would be the new monitor behaviour (its a bugbear of mine in Win 10).
The Android App support may seem niche, but if they get it right it will get widespread adoption as well.

I think you really don't even have a clue about security stuff with your above statement.

And now also a big multinational company that provides an OS to the entire globe that is running by many large enterprises that are involved in mission critical operations must just not do new stuff because SA has lots of small offices that are too poor to upgrade and thus we must put the whole world at risk because of SA?

ToxicBunny

You seriously say that and say others need a better accountant?

The reason small business does not buy hardware unless it needs to.... it does not buy ANYTHING unless it needs to. The decrease in profit from depreciation is never enough to justify the minuscule tax break unless you are talking huge figures.

This is absolutely moronic business advice..... what is the point of a small tax break if it drives you into an overdraft?

Well if they don't buy anything unless they need to, then why must MS build their business model around a business that won't buy their product anyway if the one they currently have does the job? That is fscking retarded business logic on your part there buttercup.

semaphore

Honorary Master
Some of the new features that have mass appeal would be the new monitor behaviour (its a bugbear of mine in Win 10).
The Android App support may seem niche, but if they get it right it will get widespread adoption as well.

I think you really don't even have a clue about security stuff with your above statement.

And now also a big multinational company that provides an OS to the entire globe that is running by many large enterprises that are involved in mission critical operations must just not do new stuff because SA has lots of small offices that are too poor to upgrade and thus we must put the whole world at risk because of SA?
He's a glorified IT techy, sets up printers and such.

rambo919

Honorary Master
That toys not tools.....
And you clearly don't still run such hardware.....

Well there is your problem right there.... it ONLY provides for the large targets.... and you cannot see how this upsets the small targets who feel the impact of such giant steps the most proportionally speaking?

rambo919

Honorary Master
Well if they don't buy anything unless they need to, then why must MS build their business model around a business that won't buy their product anyway if the one they currently have does the job? That is fscking retarded business logic on your part there buttercup.
Keep going, you keep throwing out reasons why the small guy would be opposed to this.... with 0 self awareness.

ToxicBunny

Keep going, you keep throwing out reasons why the small guy would be opposed to this.... with 0 self awareness.

I can keep going all day poking holes in your stupid arguments around this.. its Friday and this is amusing the living fsck out of me.

rambo919

Honorary Master
I can keep going all day poking holes in your stupid arguments around this.. its Friday and this is amusing the living fsck out of me.
Thank you for actual honesty, even though it took you so long to admit how much of a narcissist you are.... as if it was not on full display.

ToxicBunny

Thank you for actual honesty, even though it took you so long to admit how much of a narcissist you are.... as if it was not on full display.

I am a narcissist now for poking holes in your stupid and finding it amusing?

Fscking epic, my shrink is going to LOVE the extra sessions I now need to go to for this.

Sapphiron

Expert Member

Speaking for a few of our clients, when we explained to them that they don't need to upgrade for the next 3-4 years, as all their software is browser-based now, they took our advice and spent the budget on better ergonomics and other benefits for their staff.

Same tax implications, but a much better spend of money.