How Microsoft plans to fight Windows piracy in South Africa

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
How Microsoft plans to fight Windows piracy in South Africa

The piracy of Microsoft software such as Windows and Office is more prevalent in South Africa than in developed countries, but Microsoft has a solution to this problem.

The company has previously combatted piracy in markets such as India, South-East Asia, and China through increasing the affordability of its partner offerings and educating customers on the value of genuine software.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Waste of time, here in africa we roll differently. We want/demand everything to be free, the house, the electricity, the land, the water, the job the food., the ....
I can't blame MS for trying though.
They see the effects of the Netflix generation and are attempting that same process with their software. Although not all their products are subscription based.

People want more for less. Until they truly have nothing and realise that less was more.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I can't blame MS for trying though.
They see the effects of the Netflix generation and are attempting that same process with their software. Although not all their products are subscription based.

People want more for less. Until they truly have nothing and realise that less was more.
The way they are winning is by shifting to the cloud. They need to open source Office and Windows and shift subscription services exclusively to the cloud. Not so much an SA issue but there are many countries north of our border who's citizens are just not able to make Forex transactions that easily.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
With Windows 10 I don't think people see any value in it being "genuine".
Nail >>> head....

Pirated Win7 still better than genuine Win 10 right now... and less buggy.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
The way they are winning is by shifting to the cloud. They need to open source Office and Windows and shift subscription services exclusively to the cloud. Not so much an SA issue but there are many countries north of our border who's citizens are just not able to make Forex transactions that easily.
Well Microsoft has done this already. Except making their products open source.
Windows 10 is available on cloud hosted Azure, with Office 365. It's geared to enterprise or corporate customers. Quite expensive, but an alternative to a standard desktop should it be required.

beans100

Honorary Master
Lots of people ask me for Office, then they shrug when I tell them what it cost. Nope, they want it "free" /wink wink...help a brother out/.....nope
Don't know why people are so stubborn, Google docs does everything and it's free, but they want pirated MS Office.

Swa

Honorary Master
Lots of people ask me for Office, then they shrug when I tell them what it cost. Nope, they want it "free" /wink wink...help a brother out/.....nope
Don't know why people are so stubborn, Google docs does everything and it's free, but they want pirated MS Office.
Not according to some on here, though I haven't experienced the so-called incompatibilities.

What MS should do like many software vendors is have a free version for viewing and a paid one for creating.

Crowley

Executive Member
Not according to some on here, though I haven't experienced the so-called incompatibilities.

What MS should do like many software vendors is have a free version for viewing and a paid one for creating.
Then people would complain about that as well.

Jopie Fourie

Expert Member
Here is the solution to run a legal copy of the latest Windows OS in Pro version as well as the latest MS Office in Pro version for less than US$14 on your PC.

Simply visit sites like eBay and purchase a legitimate key from sellers who sells them from PCs no longer in use.

They are perfectly legal, even Microsoft accepts them and activate the software.

Just stay away from people selling VL keys!