How Mr Fix plans to un-break driver's licence renewals

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member

garp

Executive Member
The only practical reason for this renewal process is to check your eyes. Everything else is just bureaucracy. 99% of the overhead can be avoided if they just let registered optometrists update your status online, and then post the cards by registered mail or have a system where you can pick them up at your bank, etc. Heck, they could even make it a digital card for people with smartphones. It seems that we have so much technology today to almost instantly solve these problems with a minimum of infrastructure outlay, but zero innovative thinking.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
They could just make everything work online and then deliver the licences...

Paul Kemp

Expert Member
Surely the corruption and backlog are intertwined but still separate issues to deal with. Put proper service oriented managers in place that are able to run an operation and incentivise their staff. Then give them a better working environment. Get these basics right and things can progress.
Throwing bs solutions into a clearly mismanaged environment is going to net little success.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The only practical reason for this renewal process is to check your eyes. Everything else is just bureaucracy. 99% of the overhead can be avoided if they just let registered optometrists update your status online, and then post the cards by registered mail or have a system where you can pick them up at your bank, etc. Heck, they could even make it a digital card for people with smartphones. It seems that we have so much technology today to almost instantly solve these problems with a minimum of infrastructure outlay, but zero innovative thinking.

Even that is not a good reason. Even the UK doesn't check your eyes every time you renew your card. They should just do away with the eye test all together, until you reach the age of say, 70. And then extend the validity of cards from 5 years to 10 years, which is what the vast majority of countries in the world do.

marbro

Just put your pc down, Turn off your phone, Walk out the building and never come back.

That will help 100 times over

porchrat

Honorary Master
Even that is not a good reason. Even the UK doesn't check your eyes every time you renew your card. They should just do away with the eye test all together, until you reach the age of say, 70. And then extend the validity of cards from 5 years to 10 years, which is what the vast majority of countries in the world do.
I disagree.

When I first started driving I was already wearing glasses, but I passed those eye tests without my glasses.

By the time I hit 30 I could no longer pass those eye tests.

If your proposal were in place I could have been on the road legally without glasses and clearly a danger to those around me.

konfab

Honorary Master
The real innovation would just be to get rid of driver's licences.

Just require mandatory 3rd party insurance for both property damage and injury for every vehicle on the road.
All your speed camera violations, reckless driving then gets reported to the insurance company responsible for covering said vehicle.

Insurance companies can then be the ones that make sure that the people who drive the cars they insure actually are capable of driving them safely. Driving instructors would then pivot to teaching people how to drive properly and certifying them for insurance companies.

Charlesjjm

How about only allowing one booking per ID number? That will solve a lot of problems already.

grok

Honorary Master
“We are fighting one of the most highly organised criminal syndicates,” Mamabolo said.
You are fighting your own government? Try ridding yourself of most corrupts like Zuma, else you're just getting blowback of urine from the wind.