How much 1 year of uncapped fibre costs in South Africa

Swa

Honorary Master
Arm and a kidney. Can't wait for Rain's 5G. Vumatel can come and suck my cactus.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
That article makes no sense. There are ISP's on my network that will cover the installation cost for you and your total for 12 months of 10mbps uncapped is under R6500.

Savy561

Arm and a kidney. Can't wait for Rain's 5G. Vumatel can come and suck my cactus.
5G will be WAY more expensive than fibre, at least for quite a few years to come as it is a new technology and will have early adoption cots, extremely limited coverage etc...

skimread

Executive Member
Well done for creating a table. Lots of misleading info being spread by the various providers. Some providers also have fixed contracts and cancellation fees and equipment belongs to them.

I always thought Openserve would be the cheapest but they one of the most expensive for a 100Mbps line but their 10Mbps is the cheapest.

Daruk

Honorary Master
5G will be WAY more expensive than fibre, at least for quite a few years to come as it is a new technology and will have early adoption cots, extremely limited coverage etc...
Given that fibre is hardly ubiquitous I’d say it’s (5G) going to be the only option for many of those who need speed. Fibre roll out, of hazard a guess, is more expensive given that there are many places that still need the last mile sorted.

Johand

Expert Member
Interesting but the thing with FTTH... Who has fibre in the ground. Not sure it makes sense to compare niche operators to operators that operate at scale.

I am happy with Vumatel because they changed the fibre game in Cape Town. My choice was between them and crappy 4Mbps ADSL.

For comparison it might be interesting to compare fibre vs ADSL vs 4G by approximating uncapped on 4G (200 GB/month) for example.

Swa

Honorary Master
No way 5G will be more expensive. LTE is already giving fibre a run. You can't price new technology out of the market.

Savy561

No way 5G will be more expensive. LTE is already giving fibre a run. You can't price new technology out of the market.
5G will of course be more expensive than lte and fibre for it's launch and a few years to come.

Brand new technology does not get released without inflation. You can't expect to get over 500mbps with over 300gb and a 5G router at below R1500pm. Yes 5G may be competitively priced 2 to 3 years down the line but we are looking at the release of 5G not it's long term future, so I am definitely expecting high pricing for the rollout of 5G.

Swa

Honorary Master
5G will of course be more expensive than lte and fibre for it's launch and a few years to come.

Brand new technology does not get released without inflation. You can't expect to get over 500mbps with over 300gb and a 5G router at below R1500pm. Yes 5G may be competitively priced 2 to 3 years down the line but we are looking at the release of 5G not it's long term future, so I am definitely expecting high pricing for the rollout of 5G.
No it won't. That wasn't the case for 3G, it wasn't for HSPA, it wasn't for LTE, it wasn't for 4G and it won't be for 5G. You're claiming that 5G will be the exception to the current track record.

Savy561

No it won't. That wasn't the case for 3G, it wasn't for HSPA, it wasn't for LTE, it wasn't for 4G and it won't be for 5G. You're claiming that 5G will be the exception to the current track record.
I wasn't monitoring during the 4G rollout. What was pricing for 4G data back then?

Swa

Honorary Master
I wasn't monitoring during the 4G rollout. What was pricing for 4G data back then?
Pricing for all mobile data has always been the same. Network operators haven't distinguished between the different technologies which is strange since it's cheaper to deliver over the faster technologies so it should cost less. Rain's mobile was cheaper at launch but then they only offer LTE so can't really compare.